The Graham Norton Show - Series 14 (Merged)

Comments

• welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it on catch up last night - brilliant episode
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Agree that GN is as good as it gets as a host. He gets the balance just right, and I hate to think how Ross would have handled this show.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    Agree that GN is as good as it gets as a host. He gets the balance just right, and I hate to think how Ross would have handled this show.

I'm sure he couldn't handle it. I don't watch Ross any more as I got fed up of the format and he had a habit of continually mentioning himself. I don't dislike JR, but just don't enjoy his show very much.

I think the GN format is far more entertaining and when you get the right mix if guests it just can't be beaten.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »

I much prefer Jonathan Ross as a chat show host myself.But his show is never as entertaining because of the bring one guest out at a time format.

I also believe this is why Norton gets better guests because he gets a lot of A-list stars that feel more comfortable been on with other guests or their co-stars.

The likes of Robert DeNiro,Harrison Ford and Bill Murray are notorious for been shy and/or private and I could not imagine them doing Ross'show where they're sat on the sofa by themselves.So Ross can never get the same entertainment from the majority of his A-listers.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graham Norton gets the better guests because his is a primetime BBC One show. Visiting American A Listers know the BBC, it has a certain cachet, ITV means nothing to them.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Bill Murray was hilarious. I loved the bit where he and Damon cracked up at Bonneville's "woolly jumper" (which seemed to have a life of its own :D)
    Nothing like a few glasses of the real stuff before the show to get things going. But I think it just clicked.
    Believe the Monuments Men film they were plugging is dire, so they were just having fun doing promos in London.
    de Niro on GN a while back was excruciating. He didn't want to be there and made that clear. I think the least you can do is play along and be pleasant. You owe the public something for all your wealth.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    clara28 wrote: »
    Graham Norton gets the better guests because his is a primetime BBC One show. Visiting American A Listers know the BBC, it has a certain cachet, ITV means nothing to them.

That makes no sense considering Ross still gets A-listers like Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock and when Parkinson was on ITV he was getting huge stars like Tom Cruise who had never been on his BBC show.He always wanted to interview Harrison Ford but he was never interested yet he does something like the Graham Norton show.

I think the format of Norton's show helps a lot.They know the questions won't get serious or deep and unlike Ross' show they know they're not going to be the sole focus of the interview.
  • Renko31Renko31 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    de Niro on GN a while back was excruciating. He didn't want to be there and made that clear. I think the least you can do is play along and be pleasant. You owe the public something for all your wealth.

That's at least the second time I've seen someone mention de Niro's appearance as less than good.
    The first time he was on was poor, and I understand he is quite shy. But from the way the episode was edited, it seemed like Graham kept saying how much he loved him, but then proceeded to pretty much ignore him!

However, it must have gone better than it appeared as de Niro returned again not long afterwards and was much more engaging and interesting on his second appearance.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think it works both ways. Norton does have the BBC pulling power but Ross has been in the business for years and has the reputation from his past BBC work and has interviewed many before for his chat show or The Film Show.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Murray was hilarious. I loved the bit where he and Damon cracked up at Bonneville's "woolly jumper" (which seemed to have a life of its own :D)
    Nothing like a few glasses of the real stuff before the show to get things going. But I think it just clicked.
    Believe the Monuments Men film they were plugging is dire, so they were just having fun doing promos in London.

He gives us movies. He has all of his money because of his movies. Why do we need extras?
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham's favourite guest, Miriam Margolyes returns to the show on Friday. Always brilliant value, can't wait to see what she comes out with.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Graham's favourite guest, Miriam Margolyes returns to the show on Friday. Always brilliant value, can't wait to see what she comes out with.

I shudder to think, what'll come out of Miriam. :o
  • cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brilliant! I didn't know she was on, she's usually bloody funny - as someone mentioned a few pages back when she was on with Will.i.am it was hilarious.

Really loved last weeks show - I wasn't very keen when I saw the line up but for me it was one of the best episodes ever. Matt and Bill were so relaxed and it was obvious they were genuinely enjoying it.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam Margolyes is the perfect chat show guest. Everyone should be falling over themselves to book her.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Are the Allen's two of the most annoying siblings on TV? Lily who is crap at singing and Alfie Allen who I want to die in every single episode of Game of Thrones.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed how Lily kept sitting really close to Dominic, leaning in a lot and rubbing her legs against his. At times I noticed Dominic was sitting hunched up trying to avoid her :D
    It was back and forth, like tennis :D
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened??

Lily tipped the chair before the Cardiac nurse had started telling her story and Miriam said something like "I think that was rather bitchy".
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the impression that Lily expected she would be the outrageous and controversial female on the show and then acted pissed off and above it all when she realised her phoney brand outspokenness was being hopelessly upstaged by Miriam.

That's what I thought too, and upstaged by a woman in her 70s too. :D
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough I can't actually see Ant & Dec being great Norton guests, despite their career. They left their personalities back in the early 00s.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Allen's two of the most annoying siblings on TV? Lily who is crap at singing and Alfie Allen who I want to die in every single episode of Game of Thrones.

Don`t forget her irritating father Keith. A deeply unpleasant troll of a man who appears to have passed on his vain, obnoxious personality to his equally unpleasant daughter.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I think some of y'all are being slightly harsh on Lily. I think she was nervous and it became clear early on Miriam upstaged both her and Dominic. That said the show was not great. Perhaps because last week was just amazing.

I disagree. I just think she expected to be at the centre of the show and to be lauded for 'sticking it to the industry' with her satirical videos and lyrics. Unfortunately, she's one of the biggest hypocrites in the industry, and clearly didn't enjoy being upstaged and told off by a 72-year old woman. The tension by the end of the show was palpable.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Lily Allen has no personality, does she?
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Oh and I heard a rather interesting story about Alfie Allen.

As is apparent, Game of Thrones is filmed around Belfast so the cast are regularly around there. Apparently on a night out Alfie Allen went back to the hotel with a girl. Basically he slept with her and then locked her out of the room shortly after.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and I heard a rather interesting story about Alfie Allen.

As is apparent, Game of Thrones is filmed around Belfast so the cast are regularly around there. Apparently on a night out Alfie Allen went back to the hotel with a girl. Basically he slept with her and then locked her out of the room shortly after.

What an absolute charmer he sounds.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Lily's music, they are always quite catchy tunes.