Do you ever look at an overweight person and think how beautiful they'd be if....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
If they lost some weight?

I know a couple of people who have a really pretty face, and if they lost some weight would look amazing. I know someone who has a very close face to Katy Perry, and i think if she lost weight she would have all the lads flocking.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I sometimes find that when someone loses weight their facial features can actually look worse and puts years on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably me. But it's a battle I've fought all my life and the fact that I'm now on steroids for medical reasons long term does not help one bit.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not often. If someone's pretty then it's usually obvious despite the weight. It is amazing how many men and women are just slightly overweight in appearance though.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frequently. There's a very nice young lady at our office who'd be stunning if she lost a few. Mind you she's quite attractive anyway. Just a shame she's 20 years younger than me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    I sometimes find that when someone loses weight their facial features can actually look worse and puts years on them.

Indeed. That "celeb" who is frequently in gossip magazines boasting about her epic weight loss (she won BB I think? Jodie? Josie? Jenny? :confused:) has lost weight but added about twenty years to her face.

If someone is attractive then they just are - I find "you've got such a pretty face if only you lost some weight" so patronising. It's like telling a naturally skinny person that they'd be prettier "with some curves on them" or something.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. That "celeb" who is frequently in gossip magazines boasting about her epic weight loss (she won BB I think? Jodie? Josie? Jenny? :confused:) has lost weight but added about twenty years to her face.

If someone is attractive then they just are - I find "you've got such a pretty face if only you lost some weight" so patronising. It's like telling a naturally skinny person that they'd be prettier "with some curves on them" or something.

Totally agree with this! I've been told I have a very pretty face and I'd look 'stunning' if I lost 'all my weight'; but when I lost over two stone for my wedding I don't think I looked any nicer - if anything it emphasised that I have quite a rhomboid-shaped face. It was meant as a compliment, but it could easily have made me feel inadequate too.

I'm sure we look at people and think 'you'd look better with a different hair cut' or 'you'd look better without the tattoos'. There's nothing wrong with thinking privately how a person could improve their look - but I certainly wouldn't tell anybody what I was thinking!
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Some people look better a bit chubby if they' haven't got natural good looks....it's not always the case that slim is best for faces as some people can look older and haggard..good bone structure is essential..:p
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone said that to me I'd tell them they'd have a much nicer personality without their hurtful insensitivity.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter how thin I am my face doesn't change. I have a round face which can make me appear a lot younger than I am.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    If someone said that to me I'd tell them they'd have a much nicer personality without their hurtful insensitivity.
    Brilliant comeback, I like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just to be told this a lot when I was younger and not as big as I am now.......I think I am just too big now though.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    I'm sure we look at people and think 'you'd look better with a different hair cut' or 'you'd look better without the tattoos'. There's nothing wrong with thinking privately how a person could improve their look - but I certainly wouldn't tell anybody what I was thinking!
    If they asked then I think I would....

I think people quite often do it fishing for compliments and whilst I may occasionally bend the truth to avoid hurting someone I absolutely never indulge them with false platitudes!

Complements loose their meaning if you hand them out like smarties and/or do it to win favour as far too many people do.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    If they lost some weight?

I know a couple of people who have a really pretty face, and if they lost some weight would look amazing. I know someone who has a very close face to Katy Perry, and i think if she lost weight she would have all the lads flocking.

Yeah, me :( Compounded by the fact that I am sitting by a pool surrounded by women of a certain age who have not let themselves go. They are not British though, think they may be German, but they have all got amazing fit and toned bodies. I really must join a gym and start taking care of myself :)
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, me :( Compounded by the fact that I am sitting by a pool surrounded by women of a certain age who have not let themselves go. They are not British though, think they may be German, but they have all got amazing fit and toned bodies. I really must join a gym and start taking care of myself :)
    You're sitting by a pool in February? Sod the fact you haven't got a body like Cameron Diaz, enjoy the fact you are sitting in the sun!!

Nobody is perfect and even beautiful people have hang-ups about how they look. Fat/thin/average? Who cares? Being a nice person, having friends and family who love you, that's what is important.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    You're sitting by a pool in February? Sod the fact you haven't got a body like Cameron Diaz, enjoy the fact you are sitting in the sun!!

Nobody is perfect and even beautiful people have hang-ups about how they look. Fat/thin/average? Who cares? Being a nice person, having friends and family who love you, that's what is important.

Trust me I am! For once in my life I am not even bothered about getting a tan. It is just nice to feel the sun ony skin and no lashing rain!
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You can always be thinner, look better."

- Patrick Bateman
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one's said it yet, but I will.

Dawn French.

Fat, thin. She's gorgeous. Truly beautiful (her CZJ is more beautiful thanb CZJ. And talented).

But I think most would agree: with her natural good looks and talent, if she were a size (whatever), she'd be....
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never say that to anyone. A pretty face is a pretty face regardless of how many chins.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Josie Gibson. She's done that thing that low ranking celebs always do when they lose weight in that they take it too far. She does look much older than her years since she lost weight and she's not a natural size for herself. Personally, I think she'd look a lot better if she put a stone back on.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I sometimes see celeb's putting weight on and I think "You can still do something about that before it's too late" because the face hasn't got fat yet.

Belinda Carlisle was a fairly good example of this.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think rapid weight loss and/or fad diets can be aging to the face, however a good healthy diet, some exercise and plenty of water to drink should minimise this. To me there is no substitute for a healthy life style.
    There was a young , large, lady on supersize vs superskinny (channel 4) a few weeks ago who was very very pretty, IMO. Not only was she naturally pretty but she also obviously took care of her skin and hair and appeared self confident. It would be nice to see an update on her if (hopefully) she succeeds in losing the weight that she wants to.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really offensive to say it, but yes I have thought it. Two people I know (and love) in particular - one male, one female would both be stunning if they lost (some) weight. Not even to be 'thin' just even if they were slightly overweight they'd still really be lookers.

Both have also settled for partners who I don't think they'd be with if they had better self esteem. And that's the real issue not the weight itself but the way it has distorted their self esteem (and am close to both so both have told me this, themselves).

My male friend in particular - he has such a brilliant personality - is funny, intelligent and has great looks - and his girlfriend is a total arse of a person. She is actually a nasty piece of work (I overheard her talking to someone on the phone saying something really nasty about a mutual friend who is in the final stages of cancer - that's how vile this woman is). She doesn't deserve him. She nags him about stuff and won't let him do things. He could do better. But he is so happy to have a girlfriend, he puts up with things he shouldn't. If he lost the weight he'd have the women queuing. (Not that he couldn't now but he has no self belief).
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Do you ever look at an overweight person and think how beautiful they'd be if they lost some weight?

Yup. 100%.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all were agog when, for a month or so, Oprah was thin, she looked amazing, then she piled it back on.

Same with Kirsty Alley, Kirsty Allsop and Ann Wilson [ of Heart ] who've always had weight probs, all very attractive when slim.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Most who lose weight more so if they are younger end up looking so beautiful when they are a healthy weight.
    I have been big now since 11 or so so a good 10 years. I was thin when i was a kid & i think if i had stayed that weight i would have been pretty.
    Now i often think i would look pretty decent being a healthy curvy weight - i don't want to be skeleton Thin. I think right now even losing a couple of stone will make a massive difference.
    I like to hope someday i will be a healthy weight but it's got to point i feel i am doomed to stay like this. But we will see i guess , i definitely want to get healthy rather than thin to please society. And my confidence would shoot up.