Options

198 electricity bill ?

Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
Forum Member
What would be the annual electricity bill for transmitting Radio 4 on Long wave ?

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be the annual electricity bill for transmitting Radio 4 on Long wave ?

It could well be commercially sensitive information because Arquiva will have negotiated a contract with one electricity company who might not want their competitors to know the amount.

The consumption of the three transmitter sites might be available.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/pdf/2012-13/bbc-full-financial-statements-2012-13.pdf
    Page 8 shows distribution costs for r4 as £9.8m each year, if (by looking at other stations costs) digital is £1.5m PA and FM is 3.8m PA, then LW/MW is costing £4.5m each year, the majority will be 198khz LW electricity costs!

Which the BBC has said it may last for another 7 years, then the LW transmission might stop!
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/pdf/2012-13/bbc-full-financial-statements-2012-13.pdf
    Page 8 shows distribution costs for r4 as £9.8m each year, if (by looking at other stations costs) digital is £1.5m PA and FM is 3.8m PA, then LW/MW is costing £4.5m each year, the majority will be 198khz LW electricity costs!

Which the BBC has said it may last for another 7 years, then the LW transmission might stop!

A huge cost for sure. However probably modest in the context of he whole R4 budget?
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any reason why Radio 4 continues to be broadcast on LW? I've heard that in a few parts of the country FM coverage can be patchy but why can't 4 make better use of the MW band? Is it because of the shipping forecast? If so surely there is an alternative in use today other than twice daily (or whatever it is) shipping forecasts.

Also does anyone know what % of the UK can pick up Radio 4 on Medium Wave?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why Radio 4 continues to be broadcast on LW? I've heard that in a few parts of the country FM coverage can be patchy but why can't 4 make better use of the MW band? Is it because of the shipping forecast? If so surely there is an alternative in use today other than twice daily (or whatever it is) shipping forecasts.

MW is only used to fill in where R4 LW is variable, currently there are no high power UK MW allocations left, except for 648.
    High power LW and MW (also FM) is getting increasingly expensive and the cost of multiformat digital transmission using multiplexing techniques is less, so it is expected the future for national radio in the UK will be; DAB, Freesat, Freeview and internet which between them will give almost 100% coverage.

Shipping forecasts will eventually be replaced by MW Navtext and new satellite technology when 198 closes in a few years.

Spare MW frequencies like 648 (which will be very expensive to run at high power) will now be used for new low power community radio (with perhaps R Caroline in mind?), especially where the FM band is full (but licencing has now been delayed to later this year).
    http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/community-radio/apply-for-licence/am-band
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In many of the areas with patchy VHF FM, Radio 4 Long Wave is even worse. I suspect it would be cheaper to fill in the gaps in DAB coverage than it would be to go back to a high power Medium Wave network. Also I doubt whether many motorists think of switching to Medium Wave or Long Wave when VHF FM or DAB drops out.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why Radio 4 continues to be broadcast on LW? I've heard that in a few parts of the country FM coverage can be patchy but why can't 4 make better use of the MW band?

Test Match special is I would think it's biggest audience for motorists, and people who have not bought a DAB set., they've arranged the maintenance work to avoid periods when that is being broadcast.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A huge cost for sure. However probably modest in the context of he whole R4 budget?

Well AIUI the BBC needs to make savings in the region of 50 million a year. So shutting down 198 would give us nearly 10 percent of that at a stroke.
  • Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Spare MW frequencies like 648 (which will be very expensive to run at high power) will now be used for new low power community radio (with perhaps R Caroline in mind?), especially where the FM band is full (but licencing has now been delayed to later this year).
    http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/community-radio/apply-for-licence/am-band

The poster may well be correct in stating that the future of 648 khz is for use by low power community stations. Time will tell.

But the Ofcom statement of intent, to which he posts a link to ,see above,indicates that Ofcom were as of January 2013 minded to issue community licences giving a daytime service of around 10KM radius or more. My underlining, but those two words are crucial IMO for a correct interruption of Ofcom’s, then, intent.

No limit on the maximum coverage is mentioned by Ofcom, only an approximate minimum.

Preceding that this Ofcom statement says “Each applicant needs to consider who their target community is, and where it is, in order to justify the target area they require”
    Which, as I see it, means that if an applicant can justify that their potential audience are people who are members of a community of common interest within say, purely for example, an 85 km radius from a tx site, such a licence may be granted.

I would consider the transmitter/ariel array required to give daytime coverage over that kind of radius to be at least “medium” power if not “high” power.

So is the future of 648 khz low, medium or high power community radio? Or, all three?
  • Options
    ZaxxZaxx Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I would consider the transmitter/ariel array required to give daytime coverage over that kind of radius to be at least “medium” power if not “high” power.

Well whatever the distance it will be nothing to do with washing up powder.
  • Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaxx wrote: »
    Well whatever the distance it will be nothing to do with washing up powder.

Sir, I am obliged.

You are indeed correct. Coverage will have nothing to do with a brand of soap powder, a Walt Disney character, a motor car, a BBC staff magazine, a North African gazelle, a Hebrew boy’s name, a character in The Tempest or an alternative biblical name for Jerusalem, to define just a few ariels, or indeed Ariels. So, in my posting ‘ariel’ would read better as ‘aerial’.

I appreciate your wit and greater wisdom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which, as I see it, means that if an applicant can justify that their potential audience are people who are members of a community of common interest within say, purely for example, an 85 km radius from a tx site, such a licence may be granted.

So is the future of 648 khz low, medium or high power community radio? Or, all three?
    Ofcom also says
    However, we note that the characteristics of 648 kHz, being at the lower end of the AM band and therefore requiring relatively large masts and transmitter sites, may make it less suitable for community radio than other AM frequencies.
    So far the only "community" group with a mast (on the Ross Revenge) that can possibly meet this is Caroline, but considers itself non commercial and listener supported, so unlikely to raise lots of money to support high, or even medium power?
    http://www.radiocarolineonair.com/
    Radio Caroline welcomes this announcement. It shows significant movement from the position at the start of this campaign and offers an opportunity for us to have much of, if not all, we have been asking for. We stand ready to make our application at the appropriate time.

No other group is likely to want to use AM for a music service? Bigl/One Gold a few years ago, but not now?, Perhaps Asian?, but the difficulties Sunrise have been going through may give concern?
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine Asian listeners want good sound quality for a music station every bit as much as the rest of us.

IMHO AM has had its day....