Choosing a Fridge Freezer

2»

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    I could never afford a new Bosch, they are £500, so I got a secondhand one instead, and they last.

And it looks posh in your kitychen when you have visitors and they say, oh you have got a Bosch, looks better than say having Hotpoint or beko on the door. :)

i would not buy anoher second hand applience unless I really had to, you have no idea how they have been treated.

i could go out right now and buy a new Bosch if they are only £500, but I don't see the point, you say they last, which they may, but what happens if say a couple of years it goes belly up? £500 down the drain.
    My hotpoint Washing macine cost me £400, the most I have ever paid for a ashing machine, was a bit worried because of what people told me about Hotpoint and yet it been fine, shakes a little bit on full spin, but then I got wooden floor, so I expect it to.
    Not sure if I would spend that amount on a washing machien again mind you.

we will see how long my Beko Freezer lasts and my Indesit Fridge freezer lasts. Getting a Beko cooker this year, I want a high level gril and not many manufactures do them now.. Also my old cooker is a Flavel, which is a Beko anyway and it have been fine for the last 6 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    And it looks posh in your kitychen when you have visitors and they say, oh you have got a Bosch, looks better than say having Hotpoint or beko on the door. :)

It looks posh for little dosh. I am going to fit out my whole kitchen with secondhand good-looking Bosches.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Indesit makes any good? I've dismissed the model before but it seems to get really good reviews from buyers.

I don't want to buy secondhand even for a good make. I would like something new and mine just mine. I rarely get to spend this much money on a single item and I want it to be a good solid fresh purchase
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Are Indesit makes any good? I've dismissed the model before but it seems to get really good reviews from buyers.

Indesit, rhymes with...

My ma had an Indesit washing machine a long time back and it caught fire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Hotpoint with a 3 yr Argos warranty is going to cost you 365 - bear in mind that the Argos warranty provides for only one claim, then it ends.

John Lewis have a Hotpoint (different model though) for 235 with a 2 yr warranty included, or 5 yrs for an extra 60.

Or for not a lot more, they have a couple of Bosch models with a 2 yr JL warranty included in the price.

Re earlier message on Currys' 5 yr warranties, I would think you could negotiate a 5 yr warranty for around 60 on an appliance under 250 - they use a sliding scale based on price. On their website they just show a monthly payment, but they will do a one-off payment deal if you go into the store.

With a like for like offer, JL are the better retailer of the 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this Hotpoint in Currys, slightly bigger model than the one in Argos - 289 with 35 cashback = 254, if they will do 5yrs cover for 60, would make it a total of 314?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridge-freezers/hotpoint-fufl1810p-fridge-freezer-white-19621613-pdt.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    It looks posh for little dosh. I am going to fit out my whole kitchen with secondhand good-looking Bosches.

You have just proved my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't want to buy secondhand even for a good make. I would like something new and mine just mine. I rarely get to spend this much money on a single item and I want it to be a good solid fresh purchase

you could go on and on looking at different makes and types until you are blue in the face. i was like that when I wanted a new freezer. Look at what you can afford, then look at the reviews and if it offers what you want then go for it.

You will always get someone telling you not to buy brand X because of something that happened to their mates or brother or some other person. Myself included.

i know people that paid a a load out for so called posh goods and they lasted less than two years, others lasted for years, the same with cheaper makes, some people can have them for years and others 2 years or less.

Just choose one and go for it, that is what I did with my Beko and at the mment I think I made the right choice, ok the build quality may not be up to say Bosch quality, but to be honest, for the price it is good, it may last 2 years, it may last 10, who to know, we don't have a crystal ball, I wish I did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS Could be the one but I'll look around a bit more before deciding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's swings and roundabouts, i.e. Bosch are good, but the parts are very expensive if they do go wrong. Beko, Hotpoint, Indesit, all much of a muchness, i.e, some people will say they've had them go on for years, others will say they are rubbish.

If one of them ticks your boxes, then go for it, but if it was me, I would get a 5 yr warranty on it.

Be wary of warranties that cover parts but not labour after the first year, because the minimum labour charge may be around a 100 quid, rising based on time spent on the particular job.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly these days, a makers badge/price does not always reflect better quality. We recently bought our daughter a Smeg fridge freezer and it looks very stylish but as to build quality? Ask me again in a couple of years. We've also owned Bosch and its 'no need to defrost' claim was not true. We've a large screen Sony TV and to be honest the picture quality is good but not much better (if at all) than a slighter smaller LG we use in our bedroom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to make the decision tomorrow but despite the size of the freezer section the Daewoo looks closest in price and needs I can afford with the 5 years warranty from Currys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it is as good as my Beko freezer, then it will be fine, the frost free feature is great, no more defrosting, certainly works on my Freezer fine, but the sound level is a little more than a normal unit when the fan kicks in. Not a bit of ice inside the unit.

If i was getting a new fridge freezer, I would go for a Beko, maybe the same one as you linked to, my only problem with the one yo linked to are the handles, i prefer handle incorporated into the doors,

I think I would go for this one, almost the same, but handles moulded into the doors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to make the decision tomorrow but despite the size of the freezer section the Daewoo looks closest in price and needs I can afford with the 5 years warranty from Currys

Have a good look at the warranty, because a lot of them are not worth the extra cost, certainly with a cheap unit, for the price of the Warranty you could almost get a new unit sometimes.

Myself, I save up a little bit each month to replace appliances, i got enough to buy a new cooker and a decent washing machine now if i need to. also got enough for a decent Tv if mine goes belly up, if i choose to buy a new one, may just stick the CRT back in line.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know what we're buying anymore. I was told by a repair man that Bosch ain't what it used to be as is now made by Hotpoint. AEG that I loved years ago is now Electrolux made.
    I haven't read the whole article linked but interesting to see that a washing machine costing £200 new, would cost £1,000 to build from spares. In other words, it pays for appliances to break down.
    http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine/2925-the-great-washing-machine-swindle.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    We don't know what we're buying anymore. I was told by a repair man that Bosch ain't what it used to be as is now made by Hotpoint. AEG that I loved years ago is now Electrolux made.
    I haven't read the whole article linked but interesting to see that a washing machine costing £200 new, would cost £1,000 to build from spares. In other words, it pays for appliances to break down.
    http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/washing-machine/2925-the-great-washing-machine-swindle.html

Flaval is now Beko, so is Leisure, too names from the past, also in the electrical side, Grundig now owned by the same company.

My cooker is Flavel. It is difficult now to know who makes what these days.
    i remember years ago where New world cookers was the bees knees, we had a gas one with a lighter on the side, it lasted for years, it was really solid, now they feel like they are made out of tin.

Throw away these days as you said they don't want them to last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »

All the more reason to buy secondhand Bosches from the days when Bosches were Bosches.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here's one on Special Offer from John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/siemens-kg36vvw30g-fridge-freezer-white/p231222467

It has good capacity, energy rating and low running costs. The fridge is at eye level, and has more capacity than the freezer part, although the freezer section still seems generous.

And there is a Bosch at similar price here: http://www.johnlewis.com/fridges-freezers/fridge-freezers/c80000513 but similar looking Hotpoint and Indesit models about £100 (or more) cheaper.

When I want to buy I have a good look at all the different models in J Lewis and get a few catalogues from them to study specifications etc before deciding which to go for. You can do the same online if you prefer.

I have a Bosch fridge freezer from 2004 which goes perfectly and has never given me any trouble. It's plain and functional, with not many extra bells and whistles but it has high energy efficiency, low running costs, the capacity and the number of shelves and drawers I want and I love it. (Not auto defrost, but I don't mind having occasionally to defrost it.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have made a decision
    This Beko Might well be the one.
    Didn't want a Beko initially but the Freezer I have is a Beko and has lasted quite well for me so far and this one is within my budget, has a fairly decent sized Freezer and is Frost Free. Won't be going for the extended warranty as it comes with ones year manufacturers and the cost of the extended could be put towards replacing this one eventually with a newer model.
    Going to think on it the rest of the day but to be honest I've been going around in circles all weekend deciding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that feeling of going around in circles - for weeks on end sometimes trying to decide! I notice that Beko model has protruding door handles. Does this by any chance matter to you, either in terms of how it looks, or for example if you have a tight space or if the door opens against something else? I had a fridge once where the handle used to bash into the back of the kitchen door and damage the paintwork. My present fridge freezer has recessed hand grips cut into the bottom of the fridge door and the top of the freezer door for a means of opening. So no protruding handles to get in the way.

Argos also sells Beko. At risk of adding further circles to go around (!) have you thought of comparing their Beko models and prices?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    I know that feeling of going around in circles - for weeks on end sometimes trying to decide! I notice that Beko model has protruding door handles. Does this by any chance matter to you, either in terms of how it looks, or for example if you have a tight space or if the door opens against something else? I had a fridge once where the handle used to bash into the back of the kitchen door and damage the paintwork. My present fridge freezer has recessed hand grips cut into the bottom of the fridge door and the top of the freezer door for a means of opening. So no protruding handles to get in the way.

Argos also sells Beko. At risk of adding further circles to go around (!) have you thought of comparing their Beko models and prices?

Te prices are about the same only I would have to pay extra on top for delivery and old appliance removal which is why I focused on Currys more.

As to outside asthetics I'm not too bothered. The only debate with myself I had was for white, silver or black. But until I can kit out my entire kitchen I'm looking at practicality there. It will be placed where my old freezer is and that has space for the door to open as it's between sides rather than against a door or wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, extra costs of delivery and removal to consider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's done. I ordered the Beko without extended Warranty. Will be delivered on Friday between 7am - 7pm
    Will let you all know how it looks and goes like
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's done. I ordered the Beko without extended Warranty. Will be delivered on Friday between 7am - 7pm
    Will let you all know how it looks and goes like

Good, as i said, it will be a bit louder noise wise than your old one because of the frost free, but only while the fan is on.
    i was surprised when I had mine how well made it is. It should serve you well.