Australia votes AGAINST equality!

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/samesex-marriage-bill-defeated-in-nsw-upper-house-20131114-2xicv.html

i am shocked to be honest, i have never been, but i keep getting told about this country being 'land of the free', 'very liberal' etc etc .

i remember starting a thread in the soaps section quite a while ago asking why there were so few ethnic minorities and gays in 'Home and Away', there were replies from Australian posters saying its just the media which has problems with equality etc.

Comments

• BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/samesex-marriage-bill-defeated-in-nsw-upper-house-20131114-2xicv.html

i am shocked to be honest, i have never been, but i keep getting told about this country being 'land of the free', 'very liberal' etc etc .

i remember starting a thread in the soaps section quite a while ago asking why there were so few ethnic minorities and gays in 'Home and Away', there were replies from Australian posters saying its just the media which has problems with equality etc.
    I'm not.

All this story does is confirm my suspicions about the country.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your title is miss leading. One state parliament voted on this not the entire country. Numerous MPs didn't vote as they believe its a federal matter not a state matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can believe it having worked there for a while.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Your title is miss leading. One state parliament voted on this not the entire country. Numerous MPs didn't vote as they believe its a federal matter not a state matter.

Quite. One state, and it was close at that.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    It is a shame Australia still won't join the 21st century :(
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ummm, if you actually read the details, the vote lost by one vote - and that was the Chair's deciding vote, not because he doesn't believe in marriage equality (he does), but because he thinks it should be a federal law, not piecemeal state-by-state legislation (because fundamental rights are pretty unworkable when different state-by-state, when so many of the things marriage influences are under federal control, like national pension schemes and visas).
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard from people that have been there that Australia is rife with the kind casual racism and homophobia that would shock even the most non PC Brit. Sydney is more liberal, but the rest of the country is stuck in some kind of mid 70's time warp.

I don't know, maybe it's because they're so isolated from the rest of the world?:confused:
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    australia is a federal country so it should be up to individual states to decide...maybe they just like the country how it is atmo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    australia is a federal country so it should be up to individual states to decide...maybe they just like the country how it is atmo

Visas aren't issued by states. Passports aren't issued by states. Income tax isn't controlled on a state level.

These are all pretty critical, given they're the guts of the government's treatment of the married vs the non-married.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard from people that have been there that Australia is rife with the kind casual racism and homophobia that would shock even the most non PC Brit. Sydney is more liberal, but the rest of the country is stuck in some kind of mid 70's time warp.

I don't know, maybe it's because they're so isolated from the rest of the world?:confused:

A bit sanctimonious when you consider the first same sex marriages in England and Wales won't take place until the middle of next year.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Along with the huge majority of countries world wide.
    Only 13 countries so far allow same sex marriage.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, you do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with all things Gay.
  • crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps because there aren't that many ethnic minorities in the kind of community that Home and Away is set in? Perhaps there are no homosexuals in it because they just haven't thought of that yet?
    There are plenty of transgender people in this country and yet I've never seen one of them in a soap here.

I don't understand what people expect these programmes to do. Make sure everyone on set has a different heritage/mental disorder/disability/sexual orientation from everyone else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps because there aren't that many ethnic minorities in the kind of community that Home and Away is set in? Perhaps there are no homosexuals in it because they just haven't thought of that yet?
    There are plenty of transgender people in this country and yet I've never seen one of them in a soap here.

I don't understand what people expect these programmes to do. Make sure everyone on set has a different heritage/mental disorder/disability/sexual orientation from everyone else?

That's only in EE and Corrie:D
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

I can think of one straight off the top of my head and I've never watched a soap on my life.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have always found this strange. Sydney has always been known as "rum and bum".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always found this strange. Sydney has always been known as "rum and bum".

Is that a nautical term?
  • crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can think of one straight off the top of my head and I've never watched a soap on my life.

I wasn't insinuating that there has never been a transgender person in a soap. Just that i have never seen one. Along with many other types of people I have never seen represented in soaps.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Australia has always had the reputation of being very old fashioned and conservative. I'm saddened but not surprised at this news.

You have to remember attitudes to gay people in the media tend to be quite different. There really aren't that many (out) gay men or women on television there, and when a profile does come out- it makes the headlines (and not always for the right reasons)

I hope they look to their New Zealander neighbours and decide to modernise accordingly.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    in star trek Australia was the last state to join the United Earth Government
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Australia has always had the reputation of being very old fashioned and conservative. I'm saddened but not surprised at this news.

You have to remember attitudes to gay people in the media tend to be quite different. There really aren't that many (out) gay men or women on television there, and when a profile does come out- it makes the headlines (and not always for the right reasons)

I hope they look to their New Zealander neighbours and decide to modernise accordingly.

It's not really true. I lived in Australia for 8 years. In any of the major cities - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane (ie 85% of the population) - it's more socially liberal than most of the UK. It's just the outer-outer suburb quasi rural places, and the last rump of puritan babyboomers, where you'd find anything close to mainstream homophobia. - and often not even then, as the philosophy of a "fair go" trumps even prejudice.

Don't get me started on racism though, the entire aboriginal issue is a whole different kettle of fish....
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    in star trek Australia was the last state to join the United Earth Government

Good for them.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I wasn't insinuating that there has never been a transgender person in a soap. Just that i have never seen one. Along with many other types of people I have never seen represented in soaps.

My post wasn't simply to say that there has been one but that if I, as a non soap person, can instantly think of one then I'd be surprised if you weren't aware of one too (e.g. this one)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm surprised. It's a pretty reactionary nation, politically. They ban all sorts of things we take for granted in Europe and the States, and entering the country seems especially difficult if you are Asian or happen to have picked up some free fruit on the plane.
  • Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polls have for several years shown the majority of the Australian public ready to accept same sex marriage. It's political culture which is badly lagging, not only on the conservative side of politics but also the ALP still has a strong religious influence in its ranks.