Options

Eidos on Heroes

mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just me or is that advert so loud that it blasts out of the TV? I know it's sponsored by Eidos but I am sure the whole of my street don't need to hear that. The other ads are normal volume (or would be if I didn't Sky Plus and fast forward them) but that one sneaks up on you and nearly knocks you off the chair. It might just be me though so I am checking before having a proper moan :mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    It's not just you. Its very annoying because I watch it on the +1 channel when the rest of my family are in bed and at every break i have to turn the volume down so I don't wake everyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Nope its not just you two.....

My ears bled at one point!!:eek:
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just you three. I Sky+ it and try to be extra smart with the timing of my fast-forwards! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might just be me though so I am checking before having a proper moan :mad:
    No, it's not just you. And there's actual science behind why it's so loud.

By having it so loud, the pitch (I think it's the pitch) resonates across long distances. It's useful because it gets your attention, if you've gone to get a cup of tea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was getting tea and that blared out I'm sure I'd be wearing tea not drinking it. I thought it was not allowed for ads to blare out at a different volume?
  • Options
    nick_audioguynick_audioguy Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    If I was getting tea and that blared out I'm sure I'd be wearing tea not drinking it. I thought it was not allowed for ads to blare out at a different volume?

Its all down to audio compression and working on specific frequencies, broadcasters don't alllow material to go over a certain level. In the old days it was based on a PPM meter from 0-6. So if you imagine that an average tv programme prob has its dialogue peaking at around 4.5 to 5 and everything else including music and atmos is below this. But the average overall is around 4.
    Then straight afterwards you cut to an ad break and all the audio is as close to 6 as you can possibly get it. Which could potentially be a doubling of level from what you've just been listeneing to. I know its annoying to the viewer, but its also a particular skill, I know because I'm asked to do it all the time!!!:D
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep way too loud here too - all it does for me is make me decide not to buy anything EIDOS make in protest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr D has now refused to buy any Eidos products as well. The adverts are driving him nuts.
  • Options
    moanzalotmoanzalot Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    the joys of downloading the episodes, no adverts woot woot
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    The Oracle wrote: »
    No, it's not just you. And there's actual science behind why it's so loud.

By having it so loud, the pitch (I think it's the pitch) resonates across long distances. It's useful because it gets your attention, if you've gone to get a cup of tea.

Yes indeed, Steve Wright carried a feature about this very thing on Radio 2 yesterday.

Not only are the adverts compressed more so they sound louder, they also "Zing" into the break so it grabs your attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moanzalot wrote: »
    the joys of downloading the episodes, no adverts woot woot
    The joys of the fast forward button, when you have recorded it on your Sky+/V+ boxes. Not sure how long ago it was, but there have been many complaints about the loudness of ad breaks. I think I heard they were trying to get broadcasters to equalise the volume, though not sure what has been done about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't time to start FF before the Eidos thing comes on. The only thing to do is to mute it at the first shout then FF but then it's hard to find where the programme starts again. I thought those 118 men were irritating enough but this one is even worse.
  • Options
    Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait till episode 22, it's actually being played in the program itself

Just aquired and watched episodes 18-23, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!

Keep watching you won't be dissapointed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I actually record the show for one of my friends and edit out the ads for him, and according to the video recording timer the adverts seem to appear at approximately:

5-8 Mins (Just before the main "Heroes" title comes on screen)
    21 Mins
    34 Mins

So this always helps me predict when the advert it coming, meaning i've already got my finger on the FF button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member

:D

YES I THINK THE EDIOS AD IS LOUD BUT AT LEAST ITS SHORT (Sorry for shouting my hearing is starting to go because of it :) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    It's not just them, and you're not the only person to have noticed.

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/focus/background_briefings/TV+Ad+Sound+Levels.htm

Nice simple explanation of audio compression too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Poor Mum nearly jumped out of her seat on Monday when that bloody dinosaur came on screen. All I can say is thank (insert deity of choice) for Sky+. I honsesly can't remember the last genre show I watched (with adverts) live.

On a slightly happier note - did anyone elses Sky Anytime record the Lost Finale as one-solid-block-of 88-minutes-without-adverts-bliss? We were out the night it was on then we watched it next day totally uninterrupted. Fantastic.
    RA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch it in bed and I have to mute the TV fast as anything when the ad breaks come on or else I'd wake up the street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't time to start FF before the Eidos thing comes on. The only thing to do is to mute it at the first shout then FF but then it's hard to find where the programme starts again. I thought those 118 men were irritating enough but this one is even worse.
    Obviously so engrossed in the show that you can't anticipate the adverts.....which is always a good thing in my book :D
    At least we are lucky here in the UK, we have ads every 15 minutes, the poor americans have them on average every 7.5 minutes - must be something to do with attention span deficit or something ;)