Options

John Prescott - On the Ropes

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
Just listened to this on Radio 4, and felt exhausted at the end of this half hour programme! To me, Prescott comes across as someone who talks constantly on the defensive - even if he did have something important to say, it would be lost in his relentless bulldozer style.

Did anyone actually learn anything from this interview?

Now I'm going to lie down in a dark room.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    missmaisie wrote: »
    Just listened to this on Radio 4, and felt exhausted at the end of this half hour programme! To me, Prescott comes across as someone who talks constantly on the defensive - even if he did have something important to say, it would be lost in his relentless bulldozer style.

Did anyone actually learn anything from this interview?

Now I'm going to lie down in a dark room.
    I heard it and thought it was excellent.

John Prescott came across as an ordinary man who was up against people who wanted him to see him fail at every given opportunity. Tony Blair, to his credit, stood by him.

He came from a working class background yet made in a toffee-nosed political environment; an environment populated by people who seek to humiliate those they deem inferior. If it wasn't his pronunciation, it would have been something else, i.e., ordinary education.

He stayed, toughed-it-out, and succeeded.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the thread title was true..... :(
  • Options
    JoeDavolaJoeDavola Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Twintub;
    He stayed, toughed-it-out, and succeeded.[/QUOTE]

...in becoming the only circus clown in the history of UK politics to attain high office...

And while it lasted he had one whale of a time -- stuffing his face at official functions, getting absolutely bladdered on a regular basis, groping female staff, bonking his secretary, sexually harrassing female flight attendants... getting pelted with an egg by a former work colleague who recognised him from his Billy Smart days and thought he might see the funny side, scooting around in whichever of his jags took his fancy on any given day, frittering away billions of public money, dressing up as a cowboy to amuse his American audience...

It just goes on and on. He redefined the word 'success'. The man's a legend.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    I wish the thread title was true..... :(

...or swinging on the end of one ;)

I have always believed that his appointment was merely a ruse to let Old Labour think that they were represented at the centre of government. Whereas Blair cunningly picked a guy who would be happy and keep his nose out of things so long as the office drinks cabinet was kept well stocked.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Twintub wrote: »

John Prescott came across as an ordinary man who was up against people who wanted him to see him fail at every given opportunity. Tony Blair, to his credit, stood by him.

He came from a working class background yet made in a toffee-nosed political environment; an environment populated by people who seek to humiliate those they deem inferior. If it wasn't his pronunciation, it would have been something else, i.e., ordinary education.

There are those of humble background who are blessed with intelligence and ability. Prescott wasn't one of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twintub wrote: »

At what? certainly none of the projects he was in charge of.... integrated Transport Policy Anyone? OR whatabout "Regions"?

He succeded in hanging on in there even tho' he was patently bad at every job he was given.. succeeded in feeding his face... shagging his secretary... having lots of nice jollies around the world...
    TBF he did smack that bloke who egged him and fair play to him for that.

He also succeeded in contradicting himself over Gordon Brown... recently telling us how difficult he was.. and what a liability he was when Tony was in power but on sunday morning apparently Grodon is the only man to fix the mess the country is currently in...

I'm sure he's a very pleasant and entertaining dinner guest but successful politician he ain't.