Options

Films you don't like to admit to loving.

Comments

• Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Mr & Mrs Smith - can't help it, love this film on all levels! I've watched it many times, love AJ and Brad together

+1. Good turn from Vince Vaughn too.
    Takae wrote: »
    Flash Gordon
    Big Trouble in Little China

Just to show how much I don't like admitting to liking those three films in public, I don't mind telling people I like John Carter, Battleship, Doom, Ghosts of Mars, and Starship Troopers. No wonder, really. ;)
    Nowt much wrong with anything here, but Ghosts of Mars? I bet even Jason Statham is embarrassed by that. Yes, really.
    hetty100 wrote: »
    Meet Joe Black:eek:
    I like that too ;)

Right....who's joining me on Aliens Vs Predator?........*waits*........anyone?.......:o
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Mr & Mrs Smith - can't help it, love this film on all levels! I've watched it many times, love AJ and Brad together

Yes, I like it as well. Of course it's tripe but they have such good chemistry and Ange has never looked sexier. I like the scene near the beginning where they've just met, not to mention Ange's dominatrix outfit... :o
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Sucker Punch - I love its "steam/diesel punk" aesthetic...

But the rest of the world is just going to say "He likes women dressed up a schoolgirl strippers" :o

Whereas, that is just an added bonus to my mind :D:p
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowt much wrong with anything here, but Ghosts of Mars? I bet even Jason Statham is embarrassed by that. Yes, really.

I know. It's one of those crappy films you can't help but like. :D

Seriously though, it has interesting ideas and tributes. Badly executed, but interesting, nevertheless. Like with Battleship. On surface, Battleship is a ridiculous alien invasion film, but with a closer look, it's easy to see that it's actually tried to do a switch-and-bait. In other words, it portrays aliens as innocents and humans as baddies.

Aliens turn out to be a small team of scouts, scientists and guards, who come to earth to check whether the earth is safe for their people back home. Unknown to both aliens and humans, the aliens have misinterpreted the US's signal as a friendly response to their S.O.S./distress signal. So when they're under attack, they try to set up a communication centre to warn the refugees not to leave their war-scarred planet for the now clearly hostile earth. Even when under attack, aliens actually don't kill unarmed people. But Peter Berg has made it all too subtle, so the significance of most alien scenes are lost.

Ghosts of Mars is a patchwork of tributes to Carpenter's previous films. Ice Cube is dressed like Snake from Escape From New York. I'm trying not to spoil it now -- a certain leader resembles a certain leader from Prince Of Darkness. The ghost possession is similar to The Thing. The structure of an attack resembles the one in Assault On Precinct 13. And so on. Like with Berg's Battleship, Carpenter has made it too subtle to make those noticeable. Plus, it doesn't help that the script is rather awful. :D

Anyway, that's where my enjoyment is. Spotting those too-subtle resemblances. 'Where's Wally' for film nerds. :D
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Jeez, I remember reading the book back in my late teens lol .. Herman Raucher if I remember correctly. Just checked, he also wrote the screenplay. The story was autobiographical - was just reading that the woman wrote to him after the film was released, saying she had hoped their brief affair hadn't traumatised him :D

He also wrote the book and screen play Ode to Billy Joe based on the Bobby Gentry song.

I started reading the book after having seen the film numerous times and it just didn't have what the film had in it. The film is a more gentle boy becoming a man story whereas the book is just another 'all out for sex' story. It was the fact that the film was not just an out for the first shag type film that made it different and why I like it. I never did finish the book.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grease 2
    Holiday on The Buses :o
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Not exactly a film I love, but I actually quite like Burton's Planet of the Apes, flaws and all (oh, and there are many). Got the special edition on DVD for all to see, so I suppose I'm not that embarrassed. ;)

Mamma Mia might well be awful and cringeworthy, but I love a good laugh. :D

I really like Alien 3, even though that gets me strange looks from others. I actually way prefer it to the flashy crowd-pleasing, but missing the point, Aliens.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry Funk? A name ripe for mispronunciation, I'll warrant. Didn't he get a better name in the film? What was his character's name?

Funk played permed ex double deuce bouncer Morgan.

"Morgan: What am I supposed to do?
    Dalton: There's always barber college."
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not embarrassed to say I like any film, however I did enjoy a Jennifer Aniston film the other day.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demi_R wrote: »
    I've always loved 'she's the man' even though I think I'm to old for that movie.

I've not watched that one but it can't be as bad as enjoying Freaky Friday, 13 Going on 30 and The Princess Diaries. :o Well, I first watched then nearly 10 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Operation Crossbow. It was the first ''grown up' film my mum took me to see. It's not that it's a bad film. in fact it's quite good, but my obsession with watching it whenever it's on TV, which is quite often, makes me a target for much micky taking.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Three Musketeers 1973
    The Four Musketeers 1974

Tongue-in-cheek fun, lots of action, beautiful sets/costumes and a good cast especially with Faye Dunaway as the deliciously wicked Milady :D
  • Options
    ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheaper By The Dozen 1 & 2
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure whether I should be pleased or worried I like so many of the films mentioned here :D
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Sudden Death with Jean Claude Van Damme. I can't stand those type of action films but the premise for this film is not too bad.

^^ this. And a Keanu Reeves film....Chain Reaction? I think its called. Also Sahara - based on the Clive Cussler novel
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    And a Keanu Reeves film....Chain Reaction? I think its called.

Yes... one of my favourite Keanue films!
  • Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showgirls.
    Getting past the sex and nudity, I actually love the story! :o:o
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this was actors you don't like to admit to liking, my no. 1 would be: Keanu. Not the greatest actor by a long shot, but I really enjoy watching him in so many films: Point Break, Speed (he & Bullock gave that film heart), The Matrix Trilogy, Chain Reaction, Bill & Ted 1 & 2, Youngblood, Parenthood, The Devil's Advocate, Constantine....

(guess I should stop now :D).
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think Vanilla Sky (2001), starring Tom Cruise is a really good film, with an intriguing twist.

I also think Tom's performance is excellent.

Alas, I say this to most people and they think I'm crazy for liking that film.

I'm not bothered though. :D:p
  • Options
    GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Mamma Mia. I'm a straight male, so any hint that I like any musicals at all will be met with snorts of derision from my friends. I do like Mamma Mia though, it's so feelgood and happy, with great music too. :)

So are you saying you have to be gay to like musicals? Are you 12 or something?
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one can beat my liking of Garbage Pail Kids
    Although I've not seen it for a number of years now...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Core
    Dude Where's My Car (so immature)
    The remake of Death at a Funeral, since fans of the original consider it some kind of sacrilege :rolleyes:
  • Options
    LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    Scream
    Bridge to tarabthia
    peter pan 2003
    Meet Joe Black:eek:
    Matilda

I can watch all these over and over lol:D

Why a :eek: for meet joe black? That's a good film with a good soundtrack too
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dude Where's My Car

Well that's certainly lowered the bar. Surely the only way is up now. :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Well that's certainly lowered the bar. Surely the only way is up now. :p:D