Direct 3D Device problem - Neverwinter Nights 2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,097
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I installed Neverwinter Nights 2 onto my laptop, but when I go to play it, it comes up with the message "could not find any compatible Direct3D devices - this application will now exit".

I have two questions:

1 - what is a Direct3D device?

2 - how do I get one?

I got the game for Christmas and I'm really annoyed it won't work! Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/Direct3D.html

This site explains what direct 3d does. I guess you need to update your graphics card.

If you have a friend with a computer,I always try it out on theirs to see if its not faulty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that I have DirectX 9.0, but I just have no clue when it comes to things like this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm useless.

I'll see if I can find anything about updating it - damn stupid game! All I want to do is play it!!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I sympathise as I could not get a game to work the other day. I had to get my money back in the end as I could not find what the problem was.

It might be your chip set too. Some games do not like certain lap top chip sets,so might be good to find out which chip set you have too as that might be the conflict.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    This game is so buggy is stupid. If you read the official forums for NWN2 a lot of people are having trouble with this game. My laptop well exceeds the min spec but the game is very slow and poor graphics, My desktop bearly meets min spec and the game runs perfectly with all the graphic slider up full. Atari really need to sort this game out, it's ruining the series of an otherwise excellent series of games.