Options

Bbc Sport Hd Channel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
Forum Member
With the launch of bbc one hd and viewers complaining about the tennis being pushed aside on the bbc hd channel to make way for the doctor who finale, wouldn't it make more sense for the bbc to either launch an hd sports channel or use the existing bbc hd channel for sports ?.

I'm sure the bbc have plans to launch a bbc 2 hd channel in the future and that would leave the bbc hd channel free for sporting events such as football, tennis, golf, formula one, moto GP and the like.

what r ur thoughts on this ?.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. the BBC has done enough empire building already and doesn't need to start a sports channels HD or otherwise.

Also, there are commercial subscription sports channels who have existed for up to 20 years now and might object to their businesses being undermined at this stage by a competing universal subscription sports channel.

Having read a lot of complaints in other threads about chopping and changing shows and sports it seems better scheduling might not be a bad idea though! For instance finishing a run of Dr Who before an obviously heavy sport fortnight.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dedicated BBC sports HD channel would be great. They could/should pick up some minority sports like county cricket, athletics, women's football etc. to help generate some interest and fill out the content. No one would refrain from signing up for Sky or any other channel just because the BBC covered them. They wouldn't have to film everything in HD (which is apparently very costly to produce), just the major sports like the WC, MOTD, Wimbledon, 6 Nations, Open golf, GP (once F1 gets its HD act together) etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    A dedicated BBC sports HD channel would be great. They could/should pick up some minority sports like county cricket, athletics, women's football etc. to help generate some interest and fill out the content.
    That would be better, but really we all know that wouldn't happen, don't we?

If it isn't top flight, headline news and consequently very expensive I couldn't see them bothering to fill the other hours with it. Let alone diverting limited funding to pay for the rights or the hundreds of staff to cover things like you have suggested out of the existing sport budget which goes on the costly flagship sports.

BBC supporters keep telling us how they need 100s of staff to cover events, so if that's true a sports channel covering more events could be massively expensive.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. the BBC has done enough empire building already
    There is no empire building, this has been explained to you many times before. Stop trotting out the same old nonsense in order to turn this into another BBC-bashing thread.

And yes, they would have littel to fill the channel with outside of the peak periods in the year, and yes the commercial pay-tv operators would object to such a channel.

And that also ignores the costs of bandwidth, and the lack of suitable bandwidth on some platforms, especially DTT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe-Blade wrote: »
    With the launch of bbc one hd and viewers complaining about the tennis being pushed aside on the bbc hd channel to make way for the doctor who finale, wouldn't it make more sense for the bbc to either launch an hd sports channel or use the existing bbc hd channel for sports ?.

I'm sure the bbc have plans to launch a bbc 2 hd channel in the future and that would leave the bbc hd channel free for sporting events such as football, tennis, golf, formula one, moto GP and the like.

what r ur thoughts on this ?.

do not have enough sport
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    There is no empire building, this has been explained to you many times before. Stop trotting out the same old nonsense in order to turn this into another BBC-bashing thread.
    I think you are the only one to turn this into another BBC-bashing thread.

I'm stating my opinion that the BBC is unlikely to be able to extend further new channel formats (ie empire building) and so any new BBC sport channel HD or otherwise is not likely to be allowed.

I will try to post relevant to the thread and not just turn up to have a go at other posters I don't agree with.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,702
    Forum Member
    I am just wondering how a single dedicated BBC HD Sports channel would have coped with last Saturday afternoon with clashes between the footy and the tennis?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I am just wondering how a single dedicated BBC HD Sports channel would have coped with last Saturday afternoon with clashes between the footy and the tennis?

Picked one for the HD sports channel, and had the other on the regular BBC HD channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So that would be allowed in this fantasy world then?

How about this one: Assuming F1 is still only in SD next year and they are showing quali on BBC1 on the Saturday during Wimbledon. Do they waste BBC1 HD on the F1 or do they put one tennis stream on BBC HD and a second one on BBC1 HD? Or do they move F1 quali to BBC2 to avoid breaking the simulcasting on BBC1/HD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    So that would be allowed in this fantasy world then?

How about this one: Assuming F1 is still only in SD next year and they are showing quali on BBC1 on the Saturday during Wimbledon. Do they waste BBC1 HD on the F1 or do they put one tennis stream on BBC HD and a second one on BBC1 HD? Or do they move F1 quali to BBC2 to avoid breaking the simulcasting on BBC1/HD?

Were it me I'd put the tennis on HD and the F1 qualifiying (it is after all not the race itself) on a standard broadcast. I have no idea about the technology but there are loads of high def channels out there, some operated by stations which can't have budgets antyhing like what the BBC does, so it seems plausible that the BBC could, if it wanted to, have e.g. ten HD channels.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    Were it me I'd put the tennis on HD and the F1 qualifiying (it is after all not the race itself) on a standard broadcast. I have no idea about the technology but there are loads of high def channels out there, some operated by stations which can't have budgets antyhing like what the BBC does, so it seems plausible that the BBC could, if it wanted to, have e.g. ten HD channels.

Not on Freeview, no capacity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »

Thanks didn't know that, was just going by what I get on Sky. One day, when the Murdochs run everything, we'll all have more HD channels than we could ever possibly need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or possibly afford.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    BBC1HD will be a direct simulcast.
    PeterB wrote: »

Doesn't mean they can't have more HD channels, just because they're aren't on Freeview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A BBC Sport HD would probably be too messy. Bearing in mind that the vast majority of sport is on BBC1 and BBC2, surely it would be best to have HD simulcasts of BBC1 and BBC2 - the first of course is being done.

There is an obvious issue there - regional optouts. What I would do is simulcast London/England on BBC1HD and BBC2HD. However, there could be a third HD channel, BBC Nations HD, to show any non-news optouts - e.g. sporting events. The only issue is if two events are simultaneous. This wouldn't be needed all the time, so the extra time could be used for other things, including BBC3/BBC4 simulcasts. If there isn't enough for that, there might need to be a fourth.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    BBC1HD will be a direct simulcast.

Doesn't mean they can't have more HD channels, just because they're aren't on Freeview.

The BBC are platform neutral so any new channel would need to be on all platforms.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I think you are the only one to turn this into another BBC-bashing thread.

I'm stating my opinion that the BBC is unlikely to be able to extend further new channel formats (ie empire building) and so any new BBC sport channel HD or otherwise is not likely to be allowed.

I will try to post relevant to the thread and not just turn up to have a go at other posters I don't agree with.

So, providing extra channels to cover sport without having to switch channels is "empire building"??!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks didn't know that, was just going by what I get on Sky. One day, when the Murdochs run everything, we'll all have more HD channels than we could ever possibly need.

Which many will not be able to afford.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A BBC Sport HD would probably be too messy. Bearing in mind that the vast majority of sport is on BBC1 and BBC2, surely it would be best to have HD simulcasts of BBC1 and BBC2 - the first of course is being done.

Also, currently the BBC produce very little of their own sport in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. the BBC has done enough empire building already and doesn't need to start a sports channels HD or otherwise.

Also, there are commercial subscription sports channels who have existed for up to 20 years now and might object to their businesses being undermined at this stage by a competing universal subscription sports channel.

Having read a lot of complaints in other threads about chopping and changing shows and sports it seems better scheduling might not be a bad idea though! For instance finishing a run of Dr Who before an obviously heavy sport fortnight.

So, you have sympathy with those who's only interest in sport is to make it too expensve for many to afford?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Also, currently the BBC produce very little of their own sport in HD.

IIRC they want all their own sport produced in HD for 2012 when they go up to Salford. Some stuff might be ready to produce in HD, but not done in HD due to space (e.g. national opt-out sporting events - admittedly some of them should really be pan-UK).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    So, providing extra channels to cover sport without having to switch channels is "empire building"??!!:D
    Providing space when needed if a sports event is clashing etc. is to be expected., but if the BBC sought to create a specific (and very costly) channel dedicated to sport, ie BBC Sport Channel I'm sure licence payers and existing providers would see it as 'empire building' and object.

You yourself have been claiming several hundred of staff are needed at the Olympics or in South Africa to cover sport (and they are not even filming it) so imagine how costly it would be if the BBC had to do that all the time for more sports events to fill the new channel!!

As for clashes, I'd have no problem with say, suspending BBC parliament* for a few hours to accommodate overlapping sports as needed and as was sensibly done for the winter olympics.

*Parliament has broken up for a 12-week summer break.
  • Options
    speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC will gain some additional HD capacity this Autumn. I am disappointed that they have decided to use it to simulcast BBC1 London which will include up-scaled programmes like the 6:30pm London News (read the ITV1 HD regional news threads in the Satellite Forum for the complications this causes). As the BBC is funded by the TV Licence I had hoped that it would keep its current commitment that its HD channel(s) would only broadcast native HD programming. So retain BBC HD but only broadcast HD entertainment programming (simulcast SD channels as much as possible).

And instead of BBC1 London HD, launch BBC Sport HD. This would avoid a repeat of last Saturday and BBC HD can accommodate both its non-sport and sport viewers at all times. BBC HD Sport would simulcast Network live sport, use HD content that is available via the red button (like the current World Cup highlights) and sports rights that BBC Nations have secured (Scottish League Cup, Celtic League Rugby, The Super League Show, etc.). With these regional programmes on a native HD channel, BBC would be forced to provide them with sufficent funds for HD broadcasts and would be a step away from BBC's London bias (launching BBC1 London HD!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would BBC Sport HD do when there isn't sport on, bearing in mind the BBC don't have that much sports rights really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Providing space when needed if a sports event is clashing etc. is to be expected., but if the BBC sought to create a specific (and very costly) channel dedicated to sport, ie BBC Sport Channel I'm sure licence payers and existing providers would see it as 'empire building' and object.

You yourself have been claiming several hundred of staff are needed at the Olympics or in South Africa to cover sport (and they are not even filming it) so imagine how costly it would be if the BBC had to do that all the time for more sports events to fill the new channel!!

As for clashes, I'd have no problem with say, suspending BBC parliament* for a few hours to accommodate overlapping sports as needed and as was sensibly done for the winter olympics.

*Parliament has broken up for a 12-week summer break.

Agree about the BBC Parliament bit, however, the rest of what you say is not entirely accurate, clashing sports events on an extra channels wouldn't cost much extra, the crews are there already.