Options

watching on laptop

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
Forum Member
✭✭
hi i have sports pack/hd pack and 4 mixes,i believe i can get a sky id and link it so that i can watch my sport channels on my laptop for free but when i looked it says free until the end of this year,what happens then am i going to start getting billed for this service on top of my other £50 a month subs from january 2011,when you link your id with your sky account do you have to provide some sort of billing set up so that sky can start charging you for the sky plaer service if you happen to forget to cancel 31/12/2010
any advice appreciated
basically id just like to watch the sport channels live on my laptop that i currently subscribe to without getting into some recurrng contract,thanks so much

Comments

• Options
    PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Sky subscriber you should have free access on SkyPlayer to ALL your subscription channels. You can only set up the access on one PC or Laptop. You can not access SkyPlayer outside of the UK. To view Sky outside of the UK on your laptop you will need a Slingbox to access your Sky box via the www and your LAN.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philjwade wrote: »
    As a Sky subscriber you should have free access on SkyPlayer to ALL your subscription channels. You can only set up the access on one PC or Laptop. You can not access SkyPlayer outside of the UK. To view Sky outside of the UK on your laptop you will need a Slingbox to access your Sky box via the www and your LAN.

I watch Skt Sports on 3 different computers in our house. When I added my laptop a couple of weeks ago the register computer devices screen said I was allowed 4 computers in total.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked on the Sky website. Sky 1 & Movies can only be watched on 1 computer- the one registered as your main one. All other channels (like Sports) that you subscribe to can be watched on up to 4 devices including XBox 360.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked on the Sky website. Sky 1 & Movies can only be watched on 1 computer- the one registered as your main one. All other channels (like Sports) that you subscribe to can be watched on up to 4 devices including XBox 360.

u can watch all channels on the xbox360 as well as your first computer
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely a simple VPN service allows you to use the SkyPlayer outside the UK? It works for iPlayer, 4oD etc.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Sky subscriber you should have free access on SkyPlayer to ALL your subscription channels.

Do I have to have multiroom or Sky Broadband?

I like the idea of Sky player I can keep an eye of another Champions League game on laptop while watching other one on HD :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JonLambertJonLambert Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the rules changed on this at some point, as it has confused me. When the service first came out, I definately could not access most of the live tv channels, as it said it was only available at an additional cost, or if you have multiroom (seem to recall I could only watch Sky News). Now I can watch all live channels (that match my subscription), but I haven't changed anything, and do not have multiroom??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonLambert wrote: »
    Has the rules changed on this at some point, as it has confused me. When the service first came out, I definately could not access most of the live tv channels, as it said it was only available at an additional cost, or if you have multiroom (seem to recall I could only watch Sky News). Now I can watch all live channels (that match my subscription), but I haven't changed anything, and do not have multiroom??

you can watch live on sky player up until the end of the year for free if you have the sports pack,have a look at skysports/anywhere tells you about it
    what you used to have to have sky broadband or multiroom to be able to access you can now get for free until the end of december with the sports pack [i think thats how it works]
  • Options
    varkanoidvarkanoid Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    in my circumstances originally if I remember the Sky Player was free and you had to download that god damn awful app, then you could use it just on the web, no app for free, then they charged for Sky Sports access even if you had Sky Sports in your package now its free again. To the original OP Sky will not automatically charge you for Sky Player access in the future, you may have to add it as a "package" like before on your customer account space or ring them up I imagine. Previously if I tried to use Sky Player for sports it just said I couldnt unless I added it, think it was something like £3 a month ????

I have noticed the software delivery has changed several times.

For some reason on my PC and my wife's laptop it only plays using Google Chrome. If I try using IE8 with the Sky Player on the laptop it crashes IE on launch and I have to reboot the laptop to clear it.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    nigelbb wrote: »
    Surely a simple VPN service allows you to use the SkyPlayer outside the UK? It works for iPlayer, 4oD etc.

Can you please explain how this is done?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Also Sky keep moving the goalposts on this, IIRC the free period was supposed to end a while back.

Earlier on I couldn't access Sky player at all as I didn't have multiroom or Sky broadband.