Sky makes VOD subscribers pay for bandwidth

TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
Forum Member
http://www.connectedtv.eu/sky-makes-vod-subscribers-pay-for-bandwidth-325/
BSkyB has announced that any extra bandwidth incurred by usage of its new Anytime+ VOD offer will count towards subscribers’ monthly download allowance.

Anytime+ is currently being rolled out as an optional upgrade to owners of Sky HD boxes who also take Sky’s broadband service (Sky has 3.2m HD customers, and a total of 2.8m broadband subscriptions). The VOD service allows subscribers free access in on-demand mode to some of the content they are entitled to under their current subscription package.

However, for users on Sky Broadband’s cheaper package, the download of around three 30-minute standard definition programmes a month would already reach the maximum 2GB usage allowance, creating the incentive for users to upgrade to Sky’s uncapped package.

Comments

• mitchec1mitchec1 Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old news for anyone that's been following the Anytime + threads in the Sky HD or Anytime + TV forums.

As they've only a 2GB monthly usage allowance and the average film is roughly 1.1gb it's hardly surprising they're going down this route.

It's upto people whether they want to use the service and upgrade their broadband from lite.

Personally going back to Sky BB would be a massive downgrade so I won't be benefitting from Anytime+
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it amusing that a company currently outside of the on-demand market by the inability of their satellite broadcasting mechanism to provide on-demand programming, means that they're charging customers MORE for what they want....

I really hope people start looking to Virgin Media as an alternative provider now! they're actually VERY good at what they do, Sky seem to have a thing against IPTV completely as it kills their business model
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    I find it amusing that a company currently outside of the on-demand market by the inability of their satellite broadcasting mechanism to provide on-demand programming, means that they're charging customers MORE for what they want....

I really hope people start looking to Virgin Media as an alternative provider now! they're actually VERY good at what they do, Sky seem to have a thing against IPTV completely as it kills their business model

well i use sky's player both at home and at work, can virign offer the same?
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nh3com wrote: »

Yes, if your workplace has a virgin connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Yes, if your workplace has a virgin connection.

that would be a no then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shouldn't you be you know working at work rather than sat watching stuff on sky player?
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Furnell wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be you know working at work rather than sat watching stuff on sky player?

Well said. If the workplace in question eventually needs to make cuts then the person watching Sky Player would be the first to go over someone doing some actual work. Easy choice if they need to pick someone to lay off.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Well said. If the workplace in question eventually needs to make cuts then the person watching Sky Player would be the first to go over someone doing some actual work. Easy choice if they need to pick someone to lay off.

Especially if that person is incurring additional expense to the company for all the bandwidth they're hogging :eek:
  • onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought if you have TV XL you can watch a fair few virgin channels online ?
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Furnell wrote: »
    phil solo wrote: »
    Especially if that person is incurring additional expense to the company for all the bandwidth they're hogging :eek:
    You seem to be making some large assumptions about that poster's workplace...
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was gonna say that Virgin are doing a Virgin Player which works similar to Sky Player....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well seen as i'm the head of the department i'll sack myself!
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't see the issue.

Go for Sky's top broadband package it's one of the best out with Virgin Media's fibre optic network.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:) Fair Point...
    Being head of dept and being fully in charge are 2 doifferent things though, your company must have a very liberal email and internet usage policy....

I hope though that you would extend the right to use SkyPlayer to any of your workers also if they had the resources of a PC to use
  • davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Presumably your IT department dont monitor inappropriate computer use then? Many do and routinely report to high end managers on sites visited etc
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it amusing that a company currently outside of the on-demand market by the inability of their satellite broadcasting mechanism to provide on-demand programming, means that they're charging customers MORE for what they want....l
    Yawn. The 2GB package is free to TV and phone subscribers, the unlimited package is a massive £7.50 a month. Anyone that uses the internet to any extent will be on unlimited anyway.

How much are you paying Virgin for broadband?
  • LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does BT Vision has the say issue regarding bandwidth usage
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    I think it would be incredible if Sky were to ignore the cost of delivering a service to a customer.

The package in question- "Broadband Everyday Lite"- is limited to 2GB per month and priced accordingly (£5 per month, or "free" with Sky Talk). Its marketing- "great for daily browsing & online shopping" reflects its limitations.

Providing free bandwidth for Anytime+ would render the price of the package unsustainable, in my view.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do Sky make subscribers pay, your link states the service is optional ?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davebav50 wrote: »
    Presumably your IT department dont monitor inappropriate computer use then? Many do and routinely report to high end managers on sites visited etc

seen as i'm the head of the IT department i do report it to myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You watch sky player at work!:eek: if i had sky player on at work a disiplinary would surely follow.;)
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Actually during major sporting events (such as the ongoing Ashes, Wimbledon and the World Cup for example) large companies provide IPTV feeds from internal systems feeding off a Sky box (with Pub license) to stop people from using web feeds.

That way their ISA servers dont run at 100% all the time, allowing normal business practices..
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    You watch sky player at work!:eek: if i had sky player on at work a disiplinary would surely follow.;)

and I would have thought 99% of companies, but looks like he sees himself as above the rest, hope he was nice to the staff on the way up......:)
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only the favoured few that can actually get it! plus with Virgin if you sub to the basic BB (non LLU) that most of the country has, they will sting you an extra fiver ion top for good measure
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxla wrote: »
    Only the favoured few that can actually get it! plus with Virgin if you sub to the basic BB (non LLU) that most of the country has, they will sting you an extra fiver ion top for good measure

Virgin Media's cable services are actually available to over half the households in the UK (53%, IIRC).