The onion appreciation thread

djcityboydjcityboy Posts: 29
Forum Member
The mighty onion has helped spruce up many a good meal! :cool:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The joys of the humble cyboes, scallions, spring onions, gibbons or what ever name you know this glorious onion by. Many salads, stir-frys, salsas and sarnies would be blander without their addition.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use an onion in everything savoury - love them. The smell of frying onions makes me think of when we were young going to the fair - there was always a stall selling hotdogs and burgers.
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    This would be my mums ideal thread, She had onions with her dinner earlier and literally made the whole downstairs stink of onion.. Wasn't a pleasant smell to me, but my mum loves it lol.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Nice thread. Might have onion rings for lunch on Saturday, 'cause tomorrow I'm having pizza.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had spring onions with my Beef Oyster sauce. Makes a difference.
    And Bangers and Mash NEEDS Fried Onions!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE onion. Its a base for anything i make in a pan. Whether that be chopped with my burger or hotdogs, or in a casserole, in my gravy, in my curry.

We go through bags of onions in our house :D I love this thread.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    Red onions have more antioxidants in them. Quite often I will halve or quarter them, place in an ovendish, drizzle with oil and bake alongside a savoury oven dish. (Could cover with foil but I just discard the outer crispier, tougher skin).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh red onions - I love them in a mexican type salsa and raw red onion chopped and sprinkled on chilli. Tomato, red onion - chop and mix together is a nice little side dish/salad/salsa with cheese or chicken or anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sausage, mash, fried onion/tomatoes and lots of brown sauce on the sausages. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Use an onion in everything savoury - love them. The smell of frying onions makes me think of when we were young going to the fair - there was always a stall selling hotdogs and burgers.
    I was just thinking about this the other day. There was another thread and I posted about Catterick Market and it reminded me that when I was there I would get a steak burger with fried onions.
    It brought back memories and I was on the verge of drooling :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never counted but I reckon we have onions in at least 5/6 meals a week. Whether it's a stew, a pie, a salad, a chinese, an indian, a burger or just onion rings. I love 'em! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're definitely one of my most used vegetables. I have curries, chilli and wraps with onions. Sometimes even in an omelette. I think onions, along with bell peppers, are very versatile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate onions :/
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love onions but they make me cry, even after years of regularly chopping them! I love red onion and use it in my beef stew. When making bolognese I use frozen chopped onions, they're a godsend!

I'm loving leeks at the moment. So sweet, mild and easy to chop.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When cutting onions I wear sunglasses. They actually help with the crying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potato and Leek soup is bloomin gorgeous.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love onions but they make me cry, even after years of regularly chopping them! I love red onion and use it in my beef stew. When making bolognese I use frozen chopped onions, they're a godsend!

I'm loving leeks at the moment. So sweet, mild and easy to chop.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can't believe you've owned up to that on DS food forum!!
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Onions are gorgeous. Has anyone tried steamed onions? They're great as part of a roast dinner, especially if there's onion gravy too!
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never harmed an onion,so why should it make me cry ? :o
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Onions, garlic and leeks for lunch with bacon.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can't believe you've owned up to that on DS food forum!!
    My sister makes a recipe with tinned cooked onions.
    She's a very good cook and has also made it with fresh fried onions but it didn't taste the same. Can't remember the name but it was a kind of tex-mex casserole and for the type of dish the tinned onions worked better.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    22 replies and that's shallot. :p
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love onions! Sometimes I cook up a couple of kilos chopped up with butter and marsala - cooked very very slowly they just make this brown sludge that tastes amazing. I then throw a big dollop in almost everything I cook, or have it on its own on baked potatoes, that sort of thing.

My ex was allergic to onions - they made him really ill. I once accidentally fed him some (it was in a pasta sauce I'd made) and he was throwing up all night, it was awful. It made feeding him really hard!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I love onions! Sometimes I cook up a couple of kilos chopped up with butter and marsala - cooked very very slowly they just make this brown sludge that tastes amazing. I then throw a big dollop in almost everything I cook, or have it on its own on baked potatoes, that sort of thing.

I won't come to you if I want a description of something nice :o haha
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't come to you if I want a description of something nice :o haha

Ha! The taste is GORGEOUS though.