Options

Birds of a Feather Finally returning

Comments

• Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Wasn't Dorian living in a retirement home, or something, in the stage show? I never got to see it. I know that Pauline Quirke's real son, Charlie, was in it and is going to be in the new series.

The stage show ended with both Sharon and Dorien being sent to prison. Looks like this will be totally overlooked as if the stage show never existed.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Well, hopefully it will work but most good comedies were very much 'of their time' and are better left to be remembered as classics. They're usually brought to an end for a good reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I was "treated" by a good friend to the stage show. Having to be both grateful and polite was difficult! I did enjoy it back in the day.

I went 5 times. Bloody loved it!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many homes did Tracy live in?

The layout of her house changes several times from the episodes i've seen on youtube and the set they used as Tracy's home at the filming last week looks nothing like it did in the last few series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    The original house (for most of the series) was 'Dalentrace' in Chigwell, next door to Dorien and Marcus. When Tracy and Sharon couldnt afford the upkeep of the house in the penultimate series, they rented it out (didnt sell it) and moved to a much smaller Semi Detached house until the series ended.

So who knows where the house is for the new series - I had hoped that somehow they'd be back in Dalentrace as for me, this was the home of 'Birds' :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Is Dorian in the new series ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nellski wrote: »
    Is Dorian in the new series ?

Yes she is. I dont think it would work without her.
  • Options
    WhatadayWhataday Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The original house (for most of the series) was 'Dalentrace' in Chigwell, next door to Dorien and Marcus. When Tracy and Sharon couldnt afford the upkeep of the house in the penultimate series, they rented it out (didnt sell it) and moved to a much smaller Semi Detached house until the series ended.

So who knows where the house is for the new series - I had hoped that somehow they'd be back in Dalentrace as for me, this was the home of 'Birds' :-)

Small spoiler ahead...

I went to a recording the other week and there is a sign visable from the porchway that says Dalentrace, but it's barely recognisable from the original set.

The plot in the ep I saw involved Sharon discovering some money Darryl had stashed away in the attic, so it must be the 'original' Dalentrace. Such a shame they didn't stick to the original design as it was so well known.

For starters, the lounge is at the right of the studio, whereas the kitchen is on the left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Yes she is. I dont think it would work without her.

That was my thought. It needs the three of them to stand a chance of succeeding
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whataday wrote: »
    I went to a recording the other week and there is a sign visable from the porchway that says Dalentrace, but it's barely recognisable from the original set.
    I dont suppose they show the opening titles? I hope they keep the theme tune? The BBC wouldn't own the layout I presume?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Small spoiler ahead...

The plot in the ep I saw involved Sharon discovering some money Darryl had stashed away in the attic, so it must be the 'original' Dalentrace. Such a shame they didn't stick to the original design as it was so well known.

For starters, the lounge is at the right of the studio, whereas the kitchen is on the left.

It would be a strange choice to completely change the layout of the house, considering that most people who will watch the new series, will have been viewers of the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to a filming Saturday!
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait for the new episodes.

The stage show seemed to be set in Dalentrace. The living room set was similar and I hope to see it back in the new series.

I wonder how they will explain how they got the house back.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so looking forward to this.
    What a fantastic comedy actress Lesley Joseph is.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that the producers bring this show up to modern times & show the hubbies serving extremely lenient sentences. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from (I believe was episode 2)

The original theme tune with Linda and Pauline singing was played (I don't think it was re-recorded but it was definitely them singing it and sounded like the old one to me)

I couldn't full work out what house it was as already said above the kitchen is on the right with a back door and green wallpaper with front room on left (I did wonder if it was the original house that has been done over but I don't know)

The best bit of recording was all the mistakes and Linda going "poo-bums" every time she fluffed! Pauline had her words taped to the tv lol

I will post the rest as spoilers so not to ruin it for everyone
    After nearly 15 years off our screens. Chigwells most famous daughters are finally back together - and this time they are sharing the same nest.
    As the series began the sisters were living seperate lives while Dorien seemed to have flown off into the sunset.
    Tracey's marriage to Darryl petered out years ago and she since remarried and got divorced but still lives in comfort in essex's legendary Chigwell with pampered teenager Travis (played by Charlie Quirk) who is now 17. he is doing his a levels and wants to become a barrister. Tracey does telesales from home for a plumbing company to pay the bills.

Sharon scrapes a minimum wage in World Of Quid and Dorian has written a best selling erotic book "60 shades of Green"

They end up all back together again all living with Tracey. Sharon misses the comfort of her sisters home and Dorian gets taken to court by "50 shades of gray" people meaning she has nowhere to live.

garfy (chef) decides to migrate back home from Australia with his new partner marcie and her daughter Poppy to open up an old pub called Stubbies (australian themed)

so episode 2 was called "tattoo you" and Travis is suspended from school for what was seen in the changing rooms (Sharon does a gay joke - an dhow it is acceptable nowadays and its the only way you can get a chat show on channel 4) but it was actually because he had a tattoo saying "rose" (I believe an ex girlfriend?). Sharon makes a joke about Cheryl Cole here.. Travis is played by pauline's real life son. Sharon realises she is going deaf while watching a muder mystery show and has the tv very loud..she goes to the hospital with a day off work (World Of Quid where Dorian is her manager (not sure how that happened)). Tracey is told she has a miserable face and after work she goes to a salon to get botox! Tracey has a go at Garthy as she thinks he got Travis to get the tattoo as he is covered in them (he is played by Matt Willis who has loads) but she realises in Australia everyone is? Garthy's new girlfriend has one near her bum and her Australian accent is awful! Why didn't they cast a real australian?? We find out it was Dorian who was involved in Travis getting it and Tracey tells Sharon that she (Sharon) has a tattoo above her bum..but she didnt remember getting it at all of a bloke at school who smelled of wee (I believe it was a drunken night)...later on Sharon returns home with hearing aids which you can hardly see but has a bandage over her tattoo..yet hearing aids cost hundreds..it turns out Sharon found out if you are over 55 you get them free and she used Dorian's ID lol and used the spare money that Tracey leant her to have her tattoo removed! she then picks up a pork ball off the floor she dropped a few days ago which Dorian initially thinks is a rat, and she eats it!

Marcie is played by Camilia Beeput
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just got back from (I believe was episode 2)

The original theme tune with Linda and Pauline singing was played (I don't think it was re-recorded but it was definitely them singing it and sounded like the old one to me)

Yea at my recording they used the usual titles except at the end, the final image moved slowly from the right of the screen to the centre.

I think these are just temporary for the recordings. I asked the writer/creator Maurice Gran what would hapen with the titles/music and he said they would be similar but with a few tweaks and surprises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea at my recording they used the usual titles except at the end, the final image moved slowly from the right of the screen to the centre.

I think these are just temporary for the recordings. I asked the writer/creator Maurice Gran what would hapen with the titles/music and he said they would be similar but with a few tweaks and surprises.

ooh thanks for that - we didn't get to see any image we just heard the theme tune at the beginning and end!
  • Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just noticed news about the return on the Retort (FremantleMedia) website. This implies that the iconic Alomo Productions endcap will sadly not be used for this latest series. Shame, the programme will not be the same without ending with the flipping cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't really understand why the Alomo brand wasn't resurrected when Fremantle wanted a comedy label.

On the subject of Dalentrace, I now know the reason the house looks so different. It's a new Dalentrace that Tracey & Darryl moved into about 10 years ago, but they've since divorced.

It seems like a bigger house than 'Shalentrace' used in the later series but smaller than the original house.

I'm glad that it's canon rather than them just being sloppy about continuity.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the new episodes.

The stage show seemed to be set in Dalentrace. The living room set was similar and I hope to see it back in the new series.

I wonder how they will explain how they got the house back.

They did only ever rent it out to make some money so they may have just moved back when the tenants left. But the TV show may of course be different.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand why the Alomo brand wasn't resurrected when Fremantle wanted a comedy label.
    On the subject of Dalentrace, I now know the reason the house looks so different. It's a new Dalentrace that Tracey & Darryl moved into about 10 years ago, but they've since divorced.

It seems like a bigger house than 'Shalentrace' used in the later series but smaller than the original house.

I'm glad that it's canon rather than them just being sloppy about continuity.

Alomo was Marks and Grans own company which they sold to Select TV in the early 90's who were themselves later bought by Pearsons in 1996 before later becoming Freemantle. So sadly the name disappeared a while back, their last production seems to have been The House that jack Built in 2002 .
  • Options
    catakincatakin Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Glad the birds are back. Saw the stage show and it was great. See you back here after the programme to see what everyone thinks of it.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Fred E Star will chastise you for bumping this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    catakin wrote: »
    Glad the birds are back. Saw the stage show and it was great. See you back here after the programme to see what everyone thinks of it.

Looks like the events of the stage show are definitely being ignored as if the plot of the stage show had never happened. I assume that as it says Sharon and Tracey have not spoken for years . So if that is the cars then Dorien and Sharon never went to prison and Dorian never owned a nursing home.