Options

Ch4 22:00 Finding Mum and Dad

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Finding Mum and Dad.
A look behind the scenes of a bold new scheme designed to help 'hard to place' children find adoptive parents

Another program on adoption/fostering, I think BBC and Channel 4 have both had Seasons on this subject before, don't seem to gather any interest though.

Anyway episode 1.
Connor and Daniel are brothers. For over 12 months, they've been in care, waiting to be adopted. But, as sibling boys, aged six and four, they are 'hard to place'.

With exclusive access, this documentary goes behind the scenes of a bold new scheme designed to help children like Connor and Daniel find new parents.

Comments

• Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing this bold new scheme. Probably there will be some sad moments but if the boys or any kid can find caring adoptive parents when there will be ups and downs ahead of them it could have rewarding moments for everyone involved. Hope so anyway.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those 2 little boys are so sweet. If my life had turned out differently, I'd have loved to adopt when my own children grew up
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The social worker is the Philomena Cunk woman from Charlie Brooker, right? :)
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Those 2 little boys are so sweet. If my life had turned out differently, I'd have loved to adopt when my own children grew up

They do seem like lovely boys...So sad older children struggle to find forever parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have oodles of respect for these foster parents and carers. Tough job and pretty thankless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why but I can't take to the teacher couple at all.
  • Options
    odie30odie30 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but I can't take to the teacher couple at all.

Me neither 'we didn't want 2 girls' if your want a child you shouldn't discount any child
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Started feeling weepy as soon as the programme started. All the boys shown seem such lovely little lads. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a home if I could.

I don't think I could take one of a pair of siblings and leave one behind like what has happened to Scott. I'd feel too guilty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really feeling for Connor and Daniel, they're such lovely little boys :(
  • Options
    DelicateKittenDelicateKitten Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't the foster family adopt the boys? They clearly love them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is heartbreaking. Seriously the foster mum should just adopt them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't the foster family adopt the boys? They clearly love them

The foster dad said they were too old to adopt them, not sure if that was their choice or the authorities..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The foster dad said they were too old to adopt them, not sure if that was their choice or the authorities..

I imagine it was the couple, I don't think the local authorities are that bothered about ages. I so wish the foster family would keep them, they're brilliant :(

Actually, I want them but it's not possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is terrible. How can they be to old to adopt? They seem like perfect parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it was the couple, I don't think the local authorities are that bothered about ages. I so wish the foster family would keep them, they're brilliant :(

Actually, I want them but it's not possible

If they really cared about the boys futures they would adopt them.maybe it's because they won't get any income from adopting them unlike fostering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a 30 odd yr old bloke and cried like a newborn for the whole programme. Hopefully this exposure will get them a good family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that's left me crying. I've a six year old who is so loving, happy and sweet, just like Connor and Daniel. It's such a shame that boys like these are getting overlooked when they could bring so much fun to someone's life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kania wrote: »
    Well that's left me crying. I've a six year old who is so loving, happy and sweet, just like Connor and Daniel. It's such a shame that boys like these are getting overlooked when they could bring so much fun to someone's life.

Is your little one 6 already?? Blimey, doesn't time fly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is your little one 6 already?? Blimey, doesn't time fly :)

7 in May :o,. Time has flown at twice the speed since I had him lol.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    Have oodles of respect for these foster parents and carers. Tough job and pretty thankless.

All the foster parents provided a happy home life for the kids in their care. Conner and Daniel were lovely and their foster Mum was so tuned into them and wanting the best for them. Sad that it didn’t turn out quite as well as hoped but my husband said the phone will be ringing off the hook for them after the programme. :) Hope he's right.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I found the program very sad to watch. Such lovely little boys, all completely overlooked. I think the foster mum clearly wanted to adopt those boys herself but for whatever reason can't.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    All the foster parents provided a happy home life for the kids in their care. Conner and Daniel were lovely and their foster Mum was so tuned into them and wanting the best for them. Sad that it didn’t turn out quite as well as hoped but my husband said the phone will be ringing off the hook for them after the programme. :) Hope he's right.

I Hope so!

Honestly I have fallen in love with those two boys, I swear if I was their carer I would do everything to make sure they were homed together. At their age it would do a tremendous amount of damage if they were split. Sometimes children come as a unit and thats how it should stay. I think its codswallop when they suggest kids might stand a better chance if they were split up. That I reckon would cause more heartache.

However as a result of this I have expressed an interest in fostering with my local authority.

I would love those two lads.....as a bloke I never get broody but christ they tugged good and proper on the heart strings.

Very thoughtful program I felt, showed everyone in a positive light.
  • Options
    OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I think it would be better if prospective parents fostered kids to find their forever children. Because I think if a prospective parent had taken in Connor and Daniel for a short while, they would have wanted to keep them. That's my theory anyway. I think it would be quite a successful way to adopt because surely most people would get attached to the kids sent to them.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »

That's what my husband said too. And I so hope he's right.....although another part of me just wants them to be able to stay with the wonderful foster parents.

The poster above makes a good point...there are financial allowances for fostering, but not for adopting, and Kate and her o/h didn't exactly look rolling in cash. Plus, it's a whole different commitment, taking a child in and 'giving them a chance'....totally different from adoption.

Oh, I hope Connor and Daniel are okay :)
  • Options
    firegoddess666firegoddess666 Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I was on the verge of through most of this program. All the boys shown were just lovely and I kept hoping someone would show interest in them. Loads of perspective parents have missed out on loving wee boys.

I also wanted the foster mum to adopt them and I think she wanted to but her partner was maybe feeling they had done the parenting thing and wanted to move on.

I suppose foster parents can't be seen negatively for not adopting as many of them foster a lit of children and it wouldn't be feasible. They are helping the children at the moment.

I did well up even more when she was talking in the taxi about them getting a special family and connor said they were a special family.

I really hope all those boys get their well deserved forever home.

is this a series or a one off?