Options

Have you been ID'd for an ASDA home delivery?

13»

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't Sainsburys also enforce this with in-store purchases as well? Shouldn't they do this across the board in terms of fairness and enforcing policy across the board? Why do you need ID to purchase (non-age restricted) items online and not in-store when both are on the same ground legally and what is the difference paying by card in a store (or even cash where my ID isn't presented to Sainsburys in anyway) and paying online? In both cases, in-store and online, you don't know who I am without photo ID.

They are at our sorting office now, no ID - no item, and it could end up going back to the sender. At least they (at the moment) have the common sense to not make it mandatory it has to be a passport or driving licence. Some places won't even accept provisional driving licences - which means you have to learn to drive and pass your driving test (with the expenses behind that) before you can get a valid form of ID!

Who won't accept a provisional driving license?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natwest for one:

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/ID-required-branch.html
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

RBS doesn't if you are over 21.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Asda home delivery once. No one I know orders online either. Don't get best of the products, i.e. you can't choose which sell by date you want or the freshest produce. You can't see the reduced to clear section. Besides which, our store is literally 1 minute away so we'd be incredibly lazy to use them on a regular basis. More on topic though, what if you didn't have any ID? Like your passport had expired or you didn't have a driving licence?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    My (perhaps stupidly far-fetched) point being that checking ID is part of them covering their own arses and avoiding any (however stupid) backlashes that could occur. It protects the store and the customer.
    Looking at Tesco and Asda, they only do a proof of age check if you appear under 25, so the whole ID thing is in fact a red herring. Just as well, since that would lead to problems if we are out and MiL has to take delivery.
    I don't have much to hide, but I object to showing ID when I am in my own home. As mentioned before, what next, showing ID to the postie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can they be wrong when they referenced a link to the NatWest site?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    How can they be wrong when they referenced a link to the NatWest site?

Maybe try checking out the link I provided perhaps? Which is also from the Natwest website. Plus the other link didn't mention anything to do with provisional driving licences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe try checking out the link I provided perhaps? Which is also from the Natwest website. Plus the other link didn't mention anything to do with provisional driving licences.
    The point was that if anyone is wrong, NatWest is. Yes the other link doesn't mention provisional, that was the FMs point after all...
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does, however mention "Current full UK driving licence" in the list of Table A documents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The point was that if anyone is wrong, NatWest is. Yes the other link doesn't mention provisional, that was the FMs point after all...

To be fair to them they just don't mention it in the acceptable table. Don't know why, maybe they legally can't refuse it but don't really want to encourage it? I have no idea. Your guess is as good as mine :)
  • Options
    PenicilinaPenicilina Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't Sainsburys also enforce this with in-store purchases as well? Shouldn't they do this across the board in terms of fairness and enforcing policy across the board? Why do you need ID to purchase (non-age restricted) items online and not in-store when both are on the same ground legally and what is the difference paying by card in a store (or even cash where my ID isn't presented to Sainsburys in anyway) and paying online? In both cases, in-store and online, you don't know who I am without photo ID.

They are at our sorting office now, no ID - no item, and it could end up going back to the sender. At least they (at the moment) have the common sense to not make it mandatory it has to be a passport or driving licence. Some places won't even accept provisional driving licences - which means you have to learn to drive and pass your driving test (with the expenses behind that) before you can get a valid form of ID!

It's basically what Hypnodisc said in an earlier post, general security. You'd rather leave the shopping with an adult then a child so if anything does go wrong or something is amiss with the order, you know you left it with a designated adult. Just my understanding of it.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    it's totally over the top, it should be challenge 18 like it used to be. If someone is slightly underage, then so what? Really 16/17 year olds are mature enough to buy booze, well that was the age i used to go to pubs. It was pretty standard even back in the 90's. :)

It's not at all over the top.

And really? So what? Clearly you've never had to deal with immature morons that thought it was a great idea at the time to neck a bottle of vodka.

The reason the law is the way it is, is not just because of the physical/health considerations of young people using alcohol (although don't forget about those effects!) but also because people under the age of 18 tend to have little to no ability to do anything in moderation. They simply seem incapable of consuming alcohol responsibly.

Virtually all will abuse alcohol, drink to excess and will become very sick or will just pass out.. or something far worse like cracking their head open, taking other wild risks or even becoming violent/dangerous.

Some 16/17 year olds are mature enough for boozing without a parent there to moderate, but not many. They're young, stupid and lacking self control.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    I used Asda home delivery once. No one I know orders online either. Don't get best of the products, i.e. you can't choose which sell by date you want or the freshest produce. You can't see the reduced to clear section. Besides which, our store is literally 1 minute away so we'd be incredibly lazy to use them on a regular basis. More on topic though, what if you didn't have any ID? Like your passport had expired or you didn't have a driving licence?

In the old days you would get short dated stuff but doesn't happen any more. Plus they do a full refund on anything you complain about.