Options

Next England Manager

rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the fans and the media starting to turn on Roy Hodgson, does anyone think it's only a matter of time before he's either sacked or pushed out of the job?

With his outburst the other day, and his constant defending of an undefendable situation, and seemingly loosing the dressing room, (whatever that means), I think if we don't beat the Swiss on monday he'll be gone.

The FA can't be blind to the fact that once the manager starts swearing in press conferences, his time is up.

The World Cup was nothing short of a disaster, and he should have left on his own accord.

Who do you think will take over?

Comments

• Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Neville

And he won't go if we don't win tomorrow. He's here until the Euros.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the most poisoned job there is, always a million people telling you how you can do the job along with managers not wanting their players to play for the national team to reduce the risk of injuries etc it must take a desperate person to even contemplate the job these days
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Beckham for me. The majority love him, done it all before on the pitch and always had the right attitude to playing football.
    Just get a few decent coaches alongside and see where it goes.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any manager who can get the players playing without fear and has a progressive philosophy. If I weren't a Liverpool fan, I'd say Brendan Rodgers.

I'd rather watch a young and vibrant team entertain me and go out in the quarter finals than a tense, stoic, cautious mess. The worse thing is the fact the current manager and players seem to be in denial that they're under-performing.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    David Beckham for me. The majority love him, done it all before on the pitch and always had the right attitude to playing football.

Yeah,but he comes as a package with Lady Vicky. One of the major reasons he left Utd. Grrrrrr!!!

He's too much of a sweetie to be subjected to the dog's abuse he'll get if the first few games are substandard. He'll always be a Utd boy so the knives will be out from the off.

It's Roy until a suitable replacement is available unfortunately.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Pulis

It'd probably be too large a leap for him to go from Stoke/Palace to the England job, and he does have his critics for the style of football he plays, but he's the kind of guy I could see the FA being all over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It needs to be someone who's already proven he can motivate and inspire. That's the pivotal skill assuming the coaching setup is also sound. Beckham may well earn respect and admiration but he would also need to get players to run through walls for him, needs to make tough decisions and be honest with the team and the media. I'd like to see prove of that before we let him use England as a guinea pig for his managerial credentials. Management is not playing. Why people assume good players will make good managers is baffling - it's a completely different skill set.

No issue with him being part of a managerial team and getting involved, though.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I personally think it needs to be a young manager.

Doesn't have to be a popular choice.

Just someone with some energy to come in and isn't afraid to change the playing style.

Somebody to give it their all and has nothing to lose.

It won't happen though. It will end up being somebody everyone can agree on and then after a few games we will still be saying the same old tired line. "Same old England"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    I personally think it needs to be a young manager.

Doesn't have to be a popular choice.

Just someone with some energy to come in and isn't afraid to change the playing style.

Somebody to give it their all and has nothing to lose.

It won't happen though. It will end up being somebody everyone can agree on and then after a few games we will still be saying the same old tired line. "Same old England"

Yes, masochistic tendencies should be a requirement of the job. Do any current managers visit any of those seedy mistresses with dungeons, whips and cages...?
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God knows, who would be mad enough to want the job.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the people you'd want to do the job have a job at a higher level :)
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I want Brendan Rodgers to get it, but I know that's unrealistic as he won't leave Liverpool to manage England at the moment.
  • Options
    wit-hamwit-ham Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Isn't Brendan Rodgers from Northern Ireland? and Pulis from Wales? Don't think they would want it. The job should be for an Englishman anyway.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all know that Harry Redknapp will most likely get it. Not my choice.

If I could choose anyone it would be either Jose Mourinho, Brendon Rogers or Tony Pulis. Not that they would leave premiership jobs for it though.

Pulis is unemployed at the moment isn't he?

Is the England job a full time job though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    We all know that Harry Redknapp will most likely get it. Not my choice.

If I could choose anyone it would be either Jose Mourinho, Brendon Rogers or Tony Pulis. Not that they would leave premiership jobs for it though.

Pulis is unemployed at the moment isn't he?

Is the England job a full time job though?

He's only the media's choice. Last time the media tried to make it sound like he was the people's choice, but I'm not convinced he was. The media pushed him for it because he is on good terms with them.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter? Aint going anywhere with Jordan Henderson and Jack Wilshire in midfield!
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Does it really matter? Aint going anywhere with Jordan Henderson and Jack Wilshire in midfield!

Hendo with the two assists already this season? He is going to be a great midfielder but England under Roy "kitchen sink" Hodgson will always be poor.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    He's only the media's choice. Last time the media tried to make it sound like he was the people's choice, but I'm not convinced he was. The media pushed him for it because he is on good terms with them.

True. The media want him, the same way they want Boris as PM. Sit back, and the headlines write themselves. Both would be huge mistakes.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for Redknapp if only so people will finally shut the **** up about it and we don't have to hear his little stories sniping about the England team every time an international rolls around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I'd go for Redknapp if only so people will finally shut the **** up about it and we don't have to hear his little stories sniping about the England team every time an international rolls around.

Be careful what you wish for!
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jupp Heynckes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member

I like this sort of idea, i also like the job Klinsmann has done with the USA team as well as his work with the German team, the USA played like their lives depended on it and we haven't seen that from an England team since that 06 quarter final v Portugal.

I also like Rafa Benitez and his knock out football skills, there is no question in my mind the man could put a competitive England team together, i still think the FA missed a trick in not hiring Benitez for Euro 2012, although he loves his club football i have a feeling Benitez would be up for the England job unlike Klinsmann who by all accounts is very happy living in California.

Some of the media along with a fair few not very bright fans like to try and brainwash everyone into believing England have no talent but that is simply not true, there is a lot of talent especially in the front 6 positions and even the back 4 has some talent coming through in Chambers, Shaw, Stones etc, there will be more in the next couple of years too.

The tools are there for a real coach to put together a team to make England competitive at the bare minimum, Rio Ferdinand actually spoke sense on football focus the other day, we really are not as bad as Hodgson is making us look, it's such a shame that 2 more years will be wasted under this bullshit artist.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Benitez wouldn't, and shouldn't manage England. The media has never liked him here and outside of the LFC fanbase he's not exactly popular with fans of other clubs. He's also not English which will work against him.

Although if he's no longer with Napoli by the time Hodgson goes (whenever that is) he COULD become a candidate, if the next manager is a foreigner, and his style of football would fit the defensive football that the English FA like, but for his sake I wouldn't want him as England manager.
  • Options
    bikinibikini Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I'd go for the old villa manager can't remember his name with glasses very clever
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jurgen Klopp.