Is my steak safe to eat?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
Forum Member
Just a quickie: I bought a fillet steak mid December from a supermarket (in foam tray with cling film).

It was reduced as it was on it's last day.

I popped it in the freezer as soon as I got home and it has remained in it's frozen state ever since.

I took it out of the freezer yesterday morning (Saturday) and put it in the fridge to defrost. By this morning (Sunday) it seemed to be defrosted. I planned to eat it tonight - However my plans changed!

So, it is still in the fridge and I was wondering if it would be safe to eat tomorrow night (I plan to slice it, fry it with onions and green peppers and Satay sauce).

Comments

• jackpot lewisjackpot lewis Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Yes, if it has been frozen, three to four months should be fine. However, does your steak smell funny at all? If it has, it will have probably "gone off" in which case, I most definitely DO NOT recommend you still eat the steak!
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfectly safe, I mostly buy reduced meat on its last day and freeze it, then defrost it when I wanna cook it, why would it be unsafe to eat it? I have never been ill after. Even the day after it is defrosted, don't worry, done it myself with no problems, with beef especilly I wouldn't worry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Yes, if it has been frozen, three to four months should be fine. However, does your steak smell funny at all? If it has, it will have probably "gone off" in which case, I most definitely DO NOT recommend you still eat the steak!

Thanks for the reply - No, it smells fine but I was just worried about the following :

It was already on it's last day (Eat Before) on the day of freezing.

It has already spent all of Saturday in the fridge defrosting and now all of Sunday as well and BEFORE I cook it, it will be in the fridge for all of Monday :)
  • jackpot lewisjackpot lewis Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    snowy2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - No, it smells fine but I was just worried about the following :

It was already on it's last day (Eat Before) on the day of freezing.

It has already spent all of Saturday in the fridge defrosting and now all of Sunday as well and BEFORE I cook it, it will be in the fridge for all of Monday :)
    At least if you do get ill from it, you'll have the perfect excuse to be off from work! :p
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    Perfectly safe, I mostly buy reduced meat on its last day and freeze it, then defrost it when I wanna cook it, why would it be unsafe to eat it? I have never been ill after. Even the day after it is defrosted, don't worry, done it myself with no problems, with beef especilly I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for that lem - I was just worried about the "extra" days it will be sat in the fridge after defrosting!
    At least if you do get ill from it, you'll have the perfect excuse to be off from work! :p

Ahhh.... I wish! I am self employed so no dice there Lewis :)
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Have you never heard of the phrase "well hung steak"? These are steaks that have been left out for days / weeks before cooking (in controlled environments) and the flavour improves with time.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Just a quickie: I bought a fillet steak mid December from a supermarket (in foam tray with cling film).

It was reduced as it was on it's last day.

I popped it in the freezer as soon as I got home and it has remained in it's frozen state ever since.

I took it out of the freezer yesterday morning (Saturday) and put it in the fridge to defrost. By this morning (Sunday) it seemed to be defrosted. I planned to eat it tonight - However my plans changed!

So, it is still in the fridge and I was wondering if it would be safe to eat tomorrow night (I plan to slice it, fry it with onions and green peppers and Satay sauce).

Frozen fillet steak? Mmmmm.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    smell it but i`m sure it`ll be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Frozen fillet steak? Mmmmm.

Yup, that was bad move. Whether its ok to eat or not, it's not going to be half as nice as it was when fresh. Also, given the time scales it's been knocking about and the fact it's supermarket steak, I would make sure it's well cooked, do not eat it rare or medium.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Yup, that was bad move. Whether its ok to eat or not, it's not going to be half as nice as it was when fresh. Also, given the time scales it's been knocking about and the fact it's supermarket steak, I would make sure it's well cooked, do not eat it rare or medium.

I would never ruin the texture of a good fillet steak by freezing it, but steak that's been frozen for a while - even, gasp!, supermarket steak - is perfectly fine to eat medium or rare. Why wouldn't it be?

I really wish people would stop putting the fear of God into people when they obviously haven't a clue when or how food becomes dangerous to eat. No wonder we get so many threads along the lines of: 'Is my perfectly fine piece of meat OK to eat, or will I DIE if I don't cook it to within an inch of its life'.
    Forum Member

If you don't eat it rare (or at the very least medium rare) then you may as well chuck it in the bin and have beans on toast or supermarket sausages instead.
    Forum Member
    If you don't eat it rare (or at the very least medium rare) then you may as well chuck it in the bin and have beans on toast or supermarket sausages instead.

Not really, people like steak cooked differently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for this particular steak to be any good at all you have to make sure that it it is completely up to room temperature before you start cooking it.
    Forum Member

I used to be a "well done" man and Smudges Mum a "cremated" girl, but we ordered a well done and medium in Paris being brave and they came rare and medium rare. As we were hungry we put aside our squeamishness and ate them, and have never gone back to leathery and over done. Blue or rare these days!

Almost everyone who has overcome their squeamishness at eating pink meat never goes back.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the comments folks :) Much appreciated!

Well, I like my steak rare to medium (pink with some blood) but this one is going in a stir fry with Satay sauce - Cooking shortly and will let you know how it turns out ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the comments folks :) Much appreciated!

Well, I like my steak rare to medium (pink with some blood) but this one is going in a stir fry with Satay sauce - Cooking shortly and will let you know how it turns out ;)

you eat late :eek:
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    you eat late :eek:

It's been a long day :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    It's been a long day :)

aww, Hope you enjoy it :p
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    aww, Hope you enjoy it :p

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I would never ruin the texture of a good fillet steak by freezing it, but steak that's been frozen for a while - even, gasp!, supermarket steak - is perfectly fine to eat medium or rare. Why wouldn't it be?

I really wish people would stop putting the fear of God into people when they obviously haven't a clue when or how food becomes dangerous to eat. No wonder we get so many threads along the lines of: 'Is my perfectly fine piece of meat OK to eat, or will I DIE if I don't cook it to within an inch of its life'.

Love this post. Makes you wonder how people survived in the days before best before dates! My grandad said when meat went off, they just cut off the iffy bits and kept the rest! People never wasted food in them days!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be a "well done" man and Smudges Mum a "cremated" girl, but we ordered a well done and medium in Paris being brave and they came rare and medium rare. As we were hungry we put aside our squeamishness and ate them, and have never gone back to leathery and over done. Blue or rare these days!

Almost everyone who has overcome their squeamishness at eating pink meat never goes back.

Yeah I noticed even well done there still almost always has blood coming out of it.

Cured me of that "needs to be well done" fear but I couldn't bring myself to eat it rare yet.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I noticed even well done there still almost always has blood coming out of it.

Cured me of that "needs to be well done" fear but I couldn't bring myself to eat it rare yet.

I'll say it before anyone else does.

It isn't blood.;)
    Forum Member

I eat my steaks blue, I just recognise that it's not for everyone.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, but eating fillet well done is completely pointless. You may as well just buy a cheaper cut.
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Yes, but eating fillet well done is completely pointless. You may as well just buy a cheaper cut.

Not if that's how you like your steaks cooked it's not.