Things others point out about your speech that you had no clue about

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apparently I say 'dayte' and 'playte' instead of 'date' and 'plate' and I've probably been inserting random y's in other similar words too. I had never noticed it before until a new friend pointed it out. :(

I swear I can't hear myself properly.

Have you ever been told something about your speech that you've never realised before?

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I was told that I said "buzz" instead of "bus" many years ago. I don't do it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I have a slight lisp, yet i didn't find out until i was 13 when a friend told me :D

i also apparently say cinemaS and asdaS, which im told is annoying?
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pick up other people's accents without meaning to. I can't *do* accents purposefully, but if I'm with someone who has one and if I'm not careful about maintaining my own speech patterns ...
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM123 wrote: »
    I have a slight lisp, yet i didn't find out until i was 13 when a friend told me :D

I just came on here to post the exact same thing! The first part not the second part. I'm one of those who get annoyed by the Asdas, Tescos thing :blush::D
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I was told that I said "buzz" instead of "bus" many years ago. I don't do it now.

See, that's the thing, I've tried saying 'date' or 'plate' another way but I can't >:(

but when I say 'dayte' on purpose, it sounds so different to what I'm saying. So how does it sound like that to others?

Can you tell I'm paranoid about the way I speak/sound?
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I say Dezember, it was only pointed out to me recently. I also say wore instead of were.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I have a slight lisp too

cinemas, that's one I've never heard before. I hear Asdas and Tescos quite a lot though. Not that annoying to me really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I say Dezember, it was only pointed out to me recently. I also say wore instead of were.

I say Dezember. Think it might be a Scottish thing though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, that's the thing, I've tried saying 'date' or 'plate' another way but I can't >:(

but when I say 'dayte' on purpose, it sounds so different to what I'm saying. So how does it sound like that to others?

Can you tell I'm paranoid about the way I speak/sound?

I'm kind of confused by this lol.

Do you mean you say it with a 'y' sound in the middle. Like 'day-yit' play-yit'? If that makes sense :blush:
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife told me that I mumble a lot, as though my mouth is full of cotton.
  • Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pick up other people's accents without meaning to. I can't *do* accents purposefully, but if I'm with someone who has one and if I'm not careful about maintaining my own speech patterns ...

Is so funny when people come back from holiday casually dropping insertcountry-isms in! "gee I enjoyed a great yoh-ghurt this morrnin"

People always point out that I act out whatever im saying really graphically with my hands. I never noticed. So embarrassing but can't help it
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still coming to terms with the fact that book doesn't rhyme with duck from a thread earlier in the week. Apparently I and everyone I have ever met in the past 43yrs has been saying it wrong according to that thread!

Obviously most of what I say is the norm around here but when I visit the in laws in Essex they still snigger at the r's I insert into words like five and nine, they become farve and narne, though I do point out that they insert r's into words like bath so it all evens out.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I'very been told that when I swear I still sound posh ..lol
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same, I'm from Lanarkshire but when I spend the day with my friend from Edinburgh I end up speaking like him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I just came on here to post the exact same thing! The first part not the second part. I'm one of those who get annoyed by the Asdas, Tescos thing :blush::D

Haha i suppose i can kind of understand why its annoying.. I have a friend who refers to Matalan as mataland, and that does irritate me a bit.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »

Better than round here, where people say "I have an ideal! But I need to go to Asdal first"
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently I say 'dayte' and 'playte' instead of 'date' and 'plate' and I've probably been inserting random y's in other similar words too. I had never noticed it before until a new friend pointed it out. :(

I swear I can't hear myself properly.

Have you ever been told something about your speech that you've never realised before?

I actually have the same speech thing as you. I remember I first became aware when I told my friend she had lost "weyt" and she told me I always add y's to certain words. I hear it when I do it now, but it's a hard habit to break.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than round here, where people say "I have an ideal! But I need to go to Asdal first"

Something to do with ending with a vowel sound. Bristol must originally have been 'Bristow', as '-stow' is an Anglo Saxon word for 'place'. Looks like that adding '-l' to a word ending with a vowel sound must be a very old Bristol thing indeed.;-)
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say the u sound in bury/buried/burying and have been laughed at for it. Apparently it should sound like 'berry/berried/berrying'. I haven't changed the way I say it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha i suppose i can kind of understand why its annoying.. I have a friend who refers to Matalan as mataland, and that does irritate me a bit.

I've heard this a few times :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you mentioned this in another thread where I had a moan about people saying Asdas. Not sure if it was you but someone did. I've never heard that in my life, thank God I think it would tip me over the edge :D
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been told I pronounce my v as b.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    Apparently I can't say February properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I live in England and do not have any form of an English accent. Ergo, people point out how I say things a lot. Sometimes they repeat them back to me, like a sad, grey parrot and I don't know how to react. Other than did you understand what I was saying? Yes. Then don't be an asshole.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger I was criticised for saying eighteen as eight teen (separate words in other words), rather than as a single word. I'm over it now :D My parents said it was a northernism which I'd picked up from them, funny really as I'm now their 'posh daughter' :D

ETA: Also have a habit of picking up peoples' accents, especially American. Probably the years I spent living around and amongst them.