MOSCOW - IAAF World Championships 2013

Comments

• ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    men's 100m semi-final predictions anyone? top 2 and 2 fastest losers go through. for me:

heat 1: gatlin, carter and vicaut in any order. gatlin hasn't looked easy since early on in the season. he was even beaten by lemaitre at one point. i think he had a minor injury at the american trials and i'm not sure he has fully recovered but we know how hungry he is for this. carter should make the most of this opportunity to make an individual final in the place of yohan blake. who knows he could come out strong behind usain in the final. he does hold 2nd fastest time of the year after all. but he doesn't seem to do well in rounds. vicaut is hungry. enough said, lol. i think that the fastest loser will come from this heat.

heat 2: bailey-cole for the win and then out of lemaitre, chambers and dasaolu i'm not sure. i think that this heat will be the slowest. so only top 2 will go through. bailey-cole is extremely hungry for this and he's looking stronger than everyone in this heat this season.

heat 3: bolt, rodgers and either bledman or martina as a fastest loser from this heat.

so the final = bolt, rodgers, bledman/martina, bailey-cole, lemaitre/dasaolu/chambers, carter/vicaut and gatlin.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So first 2 and 2 fast losers, I presume. 2nd heat looks weaker than the others.

yep! any predictions?
    You know what these championships are missing? A mascot. Bring back Berlino, that'll get the crowds in.

it's missing a lot of things tbh. the atmosphere is so subdued unless it's a russian or ukranian competing. i did notice in the medal ceremony they gave mascot teddies instead of flowers tho. haven't seen that before!
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    You know what these championships are missing? A mascot. Bring back Berlino, that'll get the crowds in.

They've got a giant sparrow as the mascot, although it's as anonymous as the crowds at the minute! :D Berlino was amazing!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    men's 100m semi-final predictions anyone? top 2 and 2 fastest losers go through. for me:

heat 1: gatlin, carter and vicaut in any order. gatlin hasn't looked easy since early on in the season. he was even beaten by lemaitre at one point. i think he had a minor injury at the american trials and i'm not sure he has fully recovered but we know how hungry he is for this. carter should make the most of this opportunity to make an individual final in the place of yohan blake. who knows he could come out strong behind usain in the final. he does hold 2nd fastest time of the year after all. but he doesn't seem to do well in rounds. vicaut is hungry. enough said, lol. i think that the fastest loser will come from this heat.

heat 2: bailey-cole for the win and then out of lemaitre, chambers and dasaolu i'm not sure. i think that this heat will be the slowest. so only top 2 will go through. bailey-cole is extremely hungry for this and he's looking stronger than everyone in this heat this season.

heat 3: bolt, rodgers and either bledman or martina as a fastest loser from this heat.

so the final = bolt, rodgers, bledman/martina, bailey-cole, lemaitre/dasaolu/chambers, carter/vicaut and gatlin.

Chambers wasn't that impressive in the heats. Don't think he'll get to the final.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Certainly doesn't look like it will be quite like the iconic 100m final field we had in London. Really sad that Gay and Powell have subsequently had their drugs issues.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    lane draws and heats for the semi-finals of the men's 100m:

Heat Lane Name Nationality
    1 2 Bingtian Su China
    1 3 Gabriel Mvumvure Zimbabwe
    1 4 Justin Gatlin United States
    1 5 Nesta Carter Jamaica
    1 6 Richard Thompson Trinidad and Tobago
    1 7 Jimmy Vicaut France
    1 8 Anaso Jobodwana South Africa
    1 9 Harry Aikines-A Great Britain

2 2 Gavin Smellie Canada
    2 3 James Dasaolu Great Britain
    2 4 Kemar Bailey-Cole Jamaica
    2 5 Peimeng Zhang China
    2 6 Nickel Ashmeade Jamaica
    2 7 Chris Lemaitre France
    2 8 Jason Rogers Saint Kitts and Nevis
    2 9 Dwain Chambers Great Britain

3 2 Samuel Francis Qatar
    3 3 Antoine Adams Saint Kitts and Nevis
    3 4 Mike Rodgers United States
    3 5 Usain Bolt Jamaica
    3 6 Aaron Brown Canada
    3 7 Keston Bledman Trinidad and Tobago
    3 8 Ramon Gittens Barbados
    3 9 Churandy Martina Netherlands

Be amazed if Harry AA and Chambers get through. Clearly Dasaolu will get through if he matches what he did in the trials, but I half expect him to pull up injured.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww...poor Guatemalan. Huge and very unsporting cheer from the Russian crowd as he gets DQed almost in sight of the stadium, guaranteeing the Russian guy a gold medal.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone find walking events kind of bizarre

I suppose it's only like a slower stroke in swimming though
    It's weird how they often look more knackered than runners
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »

Yes, especially the very iffy rules about having one foot on the ground. Most of the time the people disqualified have stuck to this ridiculous rule.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't stand them, I agree with those who have said it's like giving an award to the person who can whisper the loudest.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member

I do find walking events very wierd ..... as most of the time they are running! :p
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,208
    Forum Member
    Hasn't Justin Gatlin failed a drugs test - if so why is he competing in a global championship event
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    Hasn't Justin Gatlin failed a drugs test - if so why is he competing in a global championship event

He came back after a 4 year ban.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol lazy that.. you could see the outline of the previous takes on the piece of paper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That statue of Peter the Great on the river looks amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That statue of Peter the Great on the river looks amazing.

All the more so because he hated Moscow.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm even less sure of the green than of the blue and black. :D
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The heats have convinced Denise Lewis that Sharman could be a medal contender? How does that work given he was the slowest of all the qualifiers :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Denises hair gets any higher, they'll have to rebuild the roof.
    Forum Member
    footygirl wrote: »

Ohhh yes, twice. :rolleyes:

So Chambers, and isn't Bledman involved somehow, allegedly?

There may be more, but they just haven't been caught yet.;):p

Ohhhhh footygirl, you have started me off again now!!
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chambers hasn't a hope of reaching the final.

Dasalou will be lucky to get through as well - hasn't got the experience to execute his race properly against this competition.

Wasn't impressed with Lemaitre either.
    Forum Member
    Powell and Gay will be at the next World Champs after serving their bans ...... it will be called World athletics for cheats!

Tarniching the sport, if you ask me. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Denises hair gets any higher, they'll have to rebuild the roof.

She's morphing into Grace Jones :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    At least athletics is seriously trying to fight the drugs issue.

There are some sports, notably tennis, which could do a lot more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we win some more medals - re-watching Mo's winning performance every hour is getting a bit boring :D
This discussion has been closed.