Heat Magazine...

14567810»

Comments

• PerfumedDivaPerfumedDiva Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get Heat without fail every Tuesday and read it cover to cover. Then I just drifted away fir a bit and came back. What put me off was the use of the word "appaz" instead of apparently.

I don't want to sound like an English teacher or anything, but I thought "is this witty, disparaging Heat Magazine or have I accidentally bought Just 17 from 20 years ago?"

It's too try hard, too dumbed down, too much fashion.

There should be more witty interviews, more reviews, less fashion, more Boyd Hilton, more actual news. I also like it when they do big photo galleries such as "Big stars 20 years ago" or "The changing face of (insert celeb name) after years of plastic surgery" etc

Oh and far less insane pressure on the body beautiful please! They have a huge readership of teenage girls. They're sending out totally the wrong message.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I used to get Heat without fail every Tuesday and read it cover to cover. Then I just drifted away fir a bit and came back. What put me off was the use of the word "appaz" instead of apparently.

I don't want to sound like an English teacher or anything, but I thought "is this witty, disparaging Heat Magazine or have I accidentally bought Just 17 from 20 years ago?"

There should be more witty interviews, more reviews, less fashion, more Boyd Hilton, more actual news. I also like it when they do big photo galleries such as "Big stars 20 years ago" or "The changing face of (insert celeb name) after years of plastic surgery" etc

Oh and far less insane pressure on the body beautiful please! They have a huge readership of teenage girls. They're sending out totally the wrong message.

Agree about the witty part. Does seem to take itself very seriously nowadays. Whats a good alternative?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    I see magazines like this all the time in the checkout at Sainsburys and marvel at why women in particular want to read about endless clearly fabricated celebrity crap (and it is fabricated, unless you're a z lister and actually speak to these mags) and dwell on how fat someone looks in a bikini. It is literally money for lies and/or drama.

I was in the doctor's surgery yesterday and saw a magazine called 'Saga' obviously aimed at older/retired people but lemme tell you, the difference was staggering. Intelligent, well-written articles on travel, geography, the home, inventions.

No wonder younger people can be thoroughly dumbed down because of what's coming at them.

Sorry, probs not the response you were wanting but there ya go. :)

Is there a magazine out there for young people that isn't dumbed down?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See also 'awks' for awkward, 'totes emosh' for totally emotional and many others that I can't be arsed to remember.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy reading Heat a few years ago. Their television reviews were particularly funny. I haven't bought it in ages though. It's full of nobodies that I've never heard of and seems to have crossed the line between light hearted enjoyment and complete and utter trash.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    I see magazines like this all the time in the checkout at Sainsburys and marvel at why women in particular want to read about endless clearly fabricated celebrity crap (and it is fabricated, unless you're a z lister and actually speak to these mags) and dwell on how fat someone looks in a bikini. It is literally money for lies and/or drama.

I was in the doctor's surgery yesterday and saw a magazine called 'Saga' obviously aimed at older/retired people but lemme tell you, the difference was staggering. Intelligent, well-written articles on travel, geography, the home, inventions.

No wonder younger people can be thoroughly dumbed down because of what's coming at them.

Sorry, probs not the response you were wanting but there ya go. :)

It's total trash, and it really treats the readership like idiots. However, its circulation is down 11 pc year on year, which suggests people are fed up of zelebs and reality shows.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Heat, bought every issue religiously, Tuesday was renamed Heat Day...basically I renowned for being a massive fan. I also loved Heatworld, there were some really funny girls posting on there who met up and became friends in real life.

Then both the website and the mag became awful and sadly I have not ventured near either for years. Like others have said the dumbing down was awful, and when they tried to be funny the humour was just embarrassing.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to read my girl friends copy of Heat once. My head started to hurt and my vision went funny. I thought nothing off it, carried on reading about Cheryl Coles latest hair do and then, once pictures of Jordans kids with captions such as "doing ok" "things are happening" started to flash in front of my eyes, and I vomited pure evil goo onto the floor. LIke that stuff of X Files.

Anyway, the goo all formed into some weird sentient being who both spoke and appeared to have spoken at the same time. He wove me a tale of misery and endless seas of stupidity, all driven by the Heat magazine armies . Long gone are the ideas and concepts that human beings worked towards, replaced with base sexual desires and wanton greed are worshiped.

So I stopped reading it and had a pizza and watched Heartbeat.