Greatest Doctor Who Characters

13»

Comments

• chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not all to do with age, it's personal preference but as I've said before, the story is more important than any special effect. Without a good story, no amount of effects can make it that much better. /QUOTE]

Absolutely.

Mrs Chuff and I have a saying, regarding the quality of TV: "old is gold, new is poo". Slathering CGI over a crap script will not make something worth watching. Telling a good story against a plain black background has so much more pwoer.

My TV recommendation at the moment is Nigel Kneale's 1970s ITV series "Beasts". Six individual stories. The final one, "During Barty's Party", is about a couple alone in their house, with rats outside. It's just the two actors on screen, in a studio-set of their living room and kitchen. Not so much as a single whisker of a rat is ever seen. It's the most disturbing and unsettling thing I have seen for a long, long time.

http://awcgfilmlog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/nigel-kneales-beasts-during-bartys.html
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not all to do with age, it's personal preference but as I've said before, the story is more important than any special effect. Without a good story, no amount of effects can make it that much better. /QUOTE]

Absolutely.

Mrs Chuff and I have a saying, regarding the quality of TV: "old is gold, new is poo". Slathering CGI over a crap script will not make something worth watching. Telling a good story against a plain black background has so much more pwoer.

My TV recommendation at the moment is Nigel Kneale's 1970s ITV series "Beasts". Six individual stories. The final one, "During Barty's Party", is about a couple alone in their house, with rats outside. It's just the two actors on screen, in a studio-set of their living room and kitchen. Not so much as a single whisker of a rat is ever seen. It's the most disturbing and unsettling thing I have seen for a long, long time.

http://awcgfilmlog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/nigel-kneales-beasts-during-bartys.html

Thanks Chuff, will have a look at that when I get round to it!

If anyone is interested in how to write and produce a cracking good story without any special effects, I'd recommend watching this episode of The Twilight Zone. I rate this as the best one I've watched yet and no amount of special effects could ever make this particular episode better than it already was. It really takes you in several different directions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8lF4TS-BgQ

Alternatively, there is one Third Rock From The Sun which is a bit more Sci-Fi, same thing applies. From this link, you can choose what link you want to watch it on as it doesn't appear to be on YouTube:

http://watchseries.eu/episode/the_twilight_zone_s1_e14-80870.html

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    this thread is steering further and further away from Doctor Who Characters haha! :)

Speaking of characters, someone new has just moved into first place. Can't say who though...
    Forum Member
    Just ten days left to vote! Can't wait to see the final list, one ote makes a difference - truly! :D
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwalker94 wrote: »
    Just ten days left to vote! Can't wait to see the final list, one ote makes a difference - truly! :D

Will you be publishing the results of the survey here?
    Forum Member
    Will you be publishing the results of the survey here?

Of course, I'll post them as a day-by-day countdown, i think :) I may make a youtube vid to tie in with the poll but it'll all be published here first :)
    Forum Member
    Just 5 more days left to vote if you haven't already :) invite friends, relatives, fellow who fans - the more people who vote the better!