Options

Films which you think were give the wrong rating

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Deadpool's been getting a load of complaints on Twitter saying that it should've been an 18 instead of a 15.

What do you guys think?
    Not seen it but I thought it was R rated in the US. But superhero movies always seem to get leniency probably because it's viewed as comic book rather than real violence.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A link to the original BBFC judges' summary for Batman (1989), the first film to be rated 12: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/batman_final.pdf

If you're a film geek, it might be of interest!

I do recall that primary school contemporaries mentioned in class that they had seen it at the cinema aged 8 or 9 despite having been officially too young for it and so I looked it up and it turns out it was the first film to get a 12. For some reason I had thought it was an 18 (not even a 15!) and that 12 ratings came in years later :confused:
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I was always confused with The Karate Kid (1984). It was given a 15 here largely because( I would imagine) a scene where Daniel gets quite viciously done over near a fenced off area. Why they made that scene that hard Iv no idea, because the overiding feeling of the film is feelgood and family orientated. Surely a PG would have made more money?

It was a PG in the cinema, with 19 seconds of cuts to the preparation & lighting of a joint, as mentioned above. Somewhat surprisingly the cuts didn't carry over to the 15 rated VHS, though it was lowered to 12 in 2010.

It would have been made with the American PG rating in mind, and they were (controversially) liberal in handing them out at the time. (There are films like Beetlejuice and Gremlins that were PG in the USA in the eighties and never would have been PG here).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 Cloverfield Lane at 12A is certainly an interesting one.

I think they might have a problem in that 12A is a broad category now, with films like Force Awakens, Tomorrowland and some of the Marvel Studios stuff which would have been comfortably PG back in the day, and 10 Cloverfield Lane which wouldn't.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    10 Cloverfield Lane at 12A is certainly an interesting one.

I think they might have a problem in that 12A is a broad category now, with films like Force Awakens, Tomorrowland and some of the Marvel Studios stuff which would have been comfortably PG back in the day, and 10 Cloverfield Lane which wouldn't.

I'm a liberal, so i've no issue with parents deciding what their children can watch. But if you have a rating system that is suppose to indicate who should watch a film then the 12A category seems a bit ridiculous to me. There is no way that anyone under the age of 12 should watch 10 Cloverfield Lane - yet the cuts they made to get that rating probably hindered some of the horror aspect of the film.
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen it yet but I have a strong feeling that 10 Cloverfield Lane was a borderline 12A/15 decision, because after all,
    1) One of the trailers was rated 15
    2) It's rated 15A in Ireland

It seems to be a film that would better suit a hard 12 restriction (The Dark Knight is another that would be fine for strictly 12+ but which is too much for 12A)
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I would have given Cuban fury and London has fallen 12
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken 1. Should have been a 15.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taken 1. Should have been a 15.
    The extended torture scene (with the nails) was the only reason why it got an 18. The bbfcinsight for the extended version says:

This scene, in dwelling on the torture, exceeded the boundaries of the strong violence permitted by the '15' Guidelines which state that 'Violence may be strong but may not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury', and tipped the classification into '18'

... so even the BBFC know that it is a very mild '18'.

Further proof: the UK theatrical version was the same as the extended harder cut expect that the extended torture scene with nails was replaced with the milder, PG-13 torture scene using clamps. It was rated 15.

I agree that it should be a 15 (the harder cut was a 15 in Ireland according to my disc). When I first saw it, I was surprised by how tame it was considering it had an 18 rating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat off topic, but it'll be interesting to see if The Killing Joke gets an 18 rating.

It's a bit special you see....
  • Options
    ambariambari Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago I started watching King Ralph with my 7 year old daughter. Aired during the daytime on Sky. 15 minutes into the film, constant swearing and then a scene in a strip club with nude women. Had to turn the film off, it was rated as a PG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ambari wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I started watching King Ralph with my 7 year old daughter. Aired during the daytime on Sky. 15 minutes into the film, constant swearing and then a scene in a strip club with nude women. Had to turn the film off, it was rated as a PG.

There are lots of examples of films like that, happily PG back in the day but would almost automatically be 12A now.

It is of course always worth noting, that from 1975-99 the ratings every major film got were ultimately the decision of one man, then bbfc director James Freman, and sometimes he made decisions that were eccentric. It's also fair comment to say directors he respected (Spielberg/Lucas, David Cronenberg, Oliver Stone) got lighter treatment than ones he didn't (Michael Winner).
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    A link to the original BBFC judges' summary for Batman (1989), the first film to be rated 12: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/batman_final.pdf

If you're a film geek, it might be of interest!

I do recall that primary school contemporaries mentioned in class that they had seen it at the cinema aged 8 or 9 despite having been officially too young for it and so I looked it up and it turns out it was the first film to get a 12. For some reason I had thought it was an 18 (not even a 15!) and that 12 ratings came in years later :confused:

12's were introduced in 1989. 12As came in later in 2002.

Grease is very leniently left classified as a PG but I'm sure if it was made now it would be a 12A.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Somewhat off topic, but it'll be interesting to see if The Killing Joke gets an 18 rating.

It's a bit special you see....

It's just been given a 15 rating for strong violence. You have to be very, very extreme to get an 18 rating these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just been given a 15 rating for strong violence. You have to be very, very extreme to get an 18 rating these days.

You could easily make an 18 rated film from the text of the comic, but can understand why they didn't.

I would not under any circumstances let young children watch Batman: The Killing Joke, and that's from the perspective of someone who thinks the bbfc are too harsh on most things.