Options

If I knew any old Whovians...

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bah, Pauline Collins - of course! I thought Anette Crosby was looking uncommonly pretty and young for her age, even if it is now several years ago!

You guys are probably right - to an extent. :p I watched Tooth and Claw not long after getting in and had just finished rushing around (and posting on here!) when I watched it. Probably not very conducive to relaxed viewing. I meant to mention that there were some very nice little quips and allusions, too, but forgot to in my fever to post my thoughts and move on to City of Death. First saw the latter about a decade ago on VHS, and after two episodes am thoroughly enjoying it again. I never had my own copy till yesterday, and watching Dr Who in those days was a bit of a marathon as it was either a friend's videos or ones he'd borrowed from the library - so it was lots of episodes at once with an entire evening devoted to them. I much prefer watching just a couple then watching something else, then carrying on where I left off a day or two later. I also seem to remember him complaining about how heavy those sets of Dr Who were to cart around with him, especially the six or seven parters. :D
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I agree Granny - exquisite :D

We all have different opinions on episodes of course Mikey - just read the threads here after episodes (or don't) :eek: :p I have been particularly critical of the last two series, despite one or two of the best-ever episodes imo, and loving Matt Smith. It doesn't help that the person I live with just can't follow Moffat's Who, and after adoring Tennant.

I think the beauty of the Tennant years is that there was often something for every kind of viewer, including the wildly different tones of stories from week to week.

Ah, getting tapes from the video libraries, them were the days :) I don't watch much TV, let alone DVDs, so have always followed broadcast Who. Since Tennant that's often meant watching the latest episodes two or three times during the week to see all the detail I missed (recently more and more, must be age :o).

I've only caught up with a few stories online including City, Caves (of course!) and Talons for the first time (amazing!) plus The Two and Five Doctors. So I have most of my youth in Tom and Peter to revisit at my leisure, and some extra early series of Tom's :)

In the early 80s they repeated some early Doctor stories so I've seen bits of Hartnell, which I really liked, hardly any Pat, but what I have seen didn't really appeal for some reason (I know - shoot me). Jon I saw a fair bit of but didn't really enjoy either - the earth-based just wasn't Who for me. I loved the Cushing films though...

Overall I guess I'm not really much of a Whovian, especially compared to most people here. Just a fan, and someone who grew up with the show and still watches now.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Oops, I've watched more than I thought. I got a few vids over the years as a teen (Brain of Morbius, The Robots of Death - the latter much better), and much more recently online others like State of Decay (decent enough), The Keeper of Traken (no idea what the consensus on this one is but I have very fond memories as a child so love it) and The Deadly Assassin (brilliant!).

I really should give Troghton another chance - any tips on where to start - a story which shows the appeal of his Doctor the best perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    Oops, I've watched more than I thought. I got a few vids over the years as a teen (Brain of Morbius, The Robots of Death - the latter much better), and much more recently online others like State of Decay (decent enough), The Keeper of Traken (no idea what the consensus on this one is but I have very fond memories as a child so love it) and The Deadly Assassin (brilliant!).

I really should give Troghton another chance - any tips on where to start - a story which shows the appeal of his Doctor the best perhaps?

Hi nattoyaki. I don't think I'm one to ask about anything Who related, never mind Patrick Toughton, so hopefully someone else will drop by with some words of advice. I am aware of a hell of a lot of Toughton getting wiped by the penny pinching BBC when video tape was expensive, and maybe quite a bit of Harknell too, so without checking I'm really not sure how much black and white Who survives.

Came home today to find that Tom's Talons of Weng-Chiang had arrived - yet more hours of Dr Who from Amazon for about a fiver, delivered. I'm also delighted with the affordability of New Doctor DVDs. Rather than having to buy an entire series at once there is the option to buy three-episode packs which are on sale at about £3.00 delivered. Excellent value, and both are a nice ways to build up a Dr Who library on a budget. If you are loath to collect the Doctor for financial reasons it's a great way to start.

By the way, I have a few reasons for not building up much of a Harknell/Troughton collection, though I will happily have a couple of classic stories of each such as Hartnell's An Unearthly Child, Troughton's The Tomb of the Cybermen and Peter Cushing's Dalek films - after all, as fans I think we owe it to ourselves to go back to where it all started. As well as not being a fan of grainy black and white, however (yes, I'm shallow), I found Harknell a bit terse, abrupt and bossy, and Troughton the opposite - a little too silly. So while I can watch hours and hours of other Doctors, I prefer to keep the first two as occasional indulgences.

Anyway, more Doctor tonight: more Tennant from his first series, and probably more City of Death... starting quite soon. :)

Nb. Just remembered that not all old Dr Who classics are cheap as chips. Sometimes the BBC insists on packaging several stories together at premium price (about a tenner or more delivered). I'm not at all sure about this policy for, while you will get lots more to watch, it's not necessarily of the best quality, and you will almost certainly get episodes you either don't want or have little interest in. For example, in order to get Harknell's An Unearthly Child story you have to get a DVD multi-pack of The Beginning (An Unearthly Child [1963] / The Daleks [1963] / The Edge of Destruction [1964]).

Humph. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha! :) In City of Death, episode three, Dr Who meets Dumb and Dumber.

Dr Who (Tom Baker) is having thumbscrews applied by the baddie's henchman.

Doctor: "Argh!"

Evil guy: "I haven't started yet."

Doctor: "No, it's just his hands are cold."

Love it! :D