Options

Windows 7 turning on during night

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can I have some help solving the computer turning on during the night, please.

There are answers from googling but none of the help is easy to follow.

For example Task scheduler is mentioned but it's hard to work out what to do when you get there. There's bland 'help' to look at the folders and decide which ones you don't need. But there's loads of folders and it's not clear to me which ones cause the computer to turn on.

Someone else suggests typing in something to provide the reason for the last power on, but that just causes a brief dialogue box that disappears instantly. (I assume that's what it is it goes instantly.)

So I think I'll need to be talked through this if anyone could help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a problem like this a while ago. Eventually solved it by turning off Wake On LAN in the BIOS of that particular machine.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you fully 'shut down' when leaving the machine?
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to that mentioned I would look in to the
    1) Power Options > Edit Plan settings > Advanced > Power buttons and lid.
    Sleep > Allow wake timers.
    2) Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network connections.
    Ethernet or WiFi Card > Right click > Properties > Configure > Power Management Tab.
    That's for Windows 8.1 but no doubt similar exists for Windows 7 or 10.

It will be recorded in the Event Viewer but going thru that lot is somewhat complex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I had a problem like this a while ago. Eventually solved it by turning off Wake On LAN in the BIOS of that particular machine.

Could you give me detailed information where to look for that, please. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Do you fully 'shut down' when leaving the machine?

It's a desktop, not a laptop, and I leave it hibernated overnight. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    In addition to that mentioned I would look in to the
    Ethernet or WiFi Card > Right click > Properties > Configure > Power Management Tab.
    That's for Windows 8.1 but no doubt similar exists for Windows 7 or 10.

It will be recorded in the Event Viewer but going thru that lot is somewhat complex.

Under "Power buttons and lid" I have Power button action and Sleep button action. I don't have Sleep > Allow wake timers

Network and sharing centre is as close as I have to that. But I don't have Network connections there.

I'm happy to be talked gently through Event Viewer.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a desktop, not a laptop, and I leave it hibernated overnight. Thanks.

I never mentioned it being a laptop... :/
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does not matter what it is, Laptop or Desktop. You still look at those areas mentioned. Many references to hibernate, sleep and shutting down etc.

Your BIOS may or may not have the options mentioned. Mine has the Wake-on-LAN option in the BIOS and thru System Settings and Power Options and LAN card Properties, 4 areas to look at.

It is usually tapping F2 or DEL key whilst manufacturers logo showing to get to the BIOS settings, look at your manual for what it is with yours.

If you don't have the "Sleep" section in there, great, one less place to look.

As always with Windows there are several routes to the same point.
    Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adapter settings (link is on the left on mine) > Right click(Network Card) > Properties > Configure > Power Management Tab.

On the same screen as an alternative click on link after "connections:" > Properties > Configure > Power Management Tab.

Event Viewer - Just not going there, a long route to nowhere if you don't know what to look for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Does not matter what it is, Laptop or Desktop. You still look at those areas mentioned. Many references to hibernate, sleep and shutting down etc.

Your BIOS may or may not have the options mentioned. Mine has the Wake-on-LAN option in the BIOS and thru System Settings and Power Options and LAN card Properties, 4 areas to look at.

It is usually tapping F2 or DEL key whilst manufacturers logo showing to get to the BIOS settings, look at your manual for what it is with yours.

If you don't have the "Sleep" section in there, great, one less place to look.

As always with Windows there are several routes to the same point.
    Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adapter settings (link is on the left on mine) > Right click(Network Card) > Properties > Configure > Power Management Tab.

On the same screen as an alternative click on link after "connections:" > Properties > Configure > Power Management Tab.

Event Viewer - Just not going there, a long route to nowhere if you don't know what to look for.

Thanks.

To start, I've done
    The 802.11nireless LAN card: Allow this device to wake the computer is greyed out
    But
    Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller has ticked Allow this device to wake the computer .followed by Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer, which is also ticked.
    All gibberish to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll just look at a potentially simpler issue and ask why are you putting it into hibernation rather than just shutting it down fully?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just look at a potentially simpler issue and ask why are you putting it into hibernation rather than just shutting it down fully?

It comes back quicker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes back quicker.

Really? I've not experienced that since the XP days, and 'hibernate' isn't even a default option nowadays. I've certainly never had need to use it in Windows 7, the start up difference from cold between hibernate and a full shut down was negligible if any on my Win7 machines, yet, at the other end, a hibernate state took longer to get into than simply shutting down.

Are you on sufficiently old hardware to make hibernate worthwhile?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I've not experienced that since the XP days, and 'hibernate' isn't even a default option nowadays. I've certainly never had need to use it in Windows 7, the start up difference from cold between hibernate and a full shut down was negligible if any on my Win7 machines, yet, at the other end, a hibernate state took longer to get into than simply shutting down.

Are you on sufficiently old hardware to make hibernate worthwhile?

Thanks for the thought, but honestly, it does take a lot longer to come back from hibernate than it does shut down.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I've not experienced that since the XP days, and 'hibernate' isn't even a default option nowadays.

That's because the newer versions of Windows pretty much hibernate when you click Shut Down, to allow a faster boot next time you switch on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the thought, but honestly, it does take a lot longer to come back from hibernate than it does shut down.

Then there could, potentially, either be something else wrong OR you have loads of extraneous gubbins in your Start Up OR you're trying to run Win7 on ancient tech.
    That's because the newer versions of Windows pretty much hibernate when you click Shut Down, to allow a faster boot next time you switch on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Aye, that's Win10 but Hibernate wasn't even a default option in Win7... Maybe even Vista, I dunno...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread now continues for anyone that wants to provide alternative help and assistance, not directly related to identifying what may be causing the computer to turn on at night.

Thanks for all the continued help.