Sold short on Gigabytes

booiebooie Posts: 379
Forum Member
Iv just changed from Tesco mobile to o2 both with a 2gb data allownace. When i was with Tesco mobile this 2gb gave me 2048mb. But on o2 its exactly 2000mb. 48mb short of what 2gb actually is.
Does anyone know if the other networks give you what a full gb is or do they too sell you short?

Comments

• RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Gigabyte can mean 2048MB or 2000MB. Strictly speaking O2 are correct to use the base 10 definition (2000MB) when referring to networking data. So it's actually Tesco giving you more than they should rather than O2 selling you short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
  • lozzauk85lozzauk85 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    This is like hard drive manufacturers! I wonder what o2's definition of a Megabyte is?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you spoken to O2 to clarify?

According to their terms and conditions they define 1 GB as 1024 MB.
  • booiebooie Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    I havent spoken to o2 about it but on my account it says 2.00gb
    used 18.08 mb
    1.98 gb left
    so im assuming thier giving me a straight 2000mb not 2048mb
    i know its only 48mb but still
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that REALLY an issue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    booie wrote: »
    used 18.08 mb
    1.98 gb left

On what basis have you assumed that?

You've used so little data so far that your remaining allowance would be 1.98 GB either way.

Given, as I previously said, that they define 1 GB as 1024 MB in their terns and conditions I reckon you could well be mistaken, and you have got 2048 MB allowance.
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Is that REALLY an issue?

My thoughts.
    Forum Member
    Is that REALLY an issue?

No its not an issue. im merely pointing something out.
    Just wanted to know if other networks do the same?
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RAN Man wrote: »
    Gigabyte can mean 2048MB or 2000MB. Strictly speaking O2 are correct to use the base 10 definition (2000MB) when referring to networking data. So it's actually Tesco giving you more than they should rather than O2 selling you short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

Even Google uses the 1024 figure though.
    used 18.08 mb
    1.98 gb left

You should consider yourself lucky that you've been able to use 18MB of data on the O2 network, impossible for some. :p:D
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    On what basis have you assumed that?

You've used so little data so far that your remaining allowance would be 1.98 GB either way.

Given, as I previously said, that they define 1 GB as 1024 MB in their terns and conditions I reckon you could well be mistaken, and you have got 2048 MB allowance.

How have you worked that out?
    If they are giving me 2048mb like you say they are and iv only used 18mb then my allowancw would still be showing 2+gb because i havent used 48mb yet only 18mb.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Even Google uses the 1024 figure though.

Because everything you find on Google is correct...

As for this thread, seems the OP is being pedantic about binary vs. decimal "GB" while not being able to tell the difference between a millibyte and a megabyte.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are giving me 2048mb like you say they are and iv only used 18mb then my allowancw would still be showing 2+gb because i havent used 48mb yet only 18mb.

No, because they are showing the allowance in GB, not MB. Your allowance is 2 GB. Why would it show as more than 2 GB?

The only issue here is over how many MB that is. This is what you said in your first post.

If your 2 GB allowance is 2048 MB: (2048 - 18.08) / 1024 = 1.98234375 GB remaining

If your 2 GB allowance is 2000 MB: (2000 - 18.08) / 1000 = 1.98192 GB remaining

qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Because everything you find on Google is correct...

As for this thread, seems the OP is being pedantic about binary vs. decimal "GB" while not being able to tell the difference between a millibyte and a megabyte.

No, I think the OP is just confused. I'm confident that if they actually contacted O2 they would be told they are getting 2048 MB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Umm, nonsense.

If, as you claim, 2GB is 2048MB then if you used 18MB you would have 2030MB left. Which is 1.98GB*.

How on earth do you think you can subtract 0.02GB from 2.00GB and have MORE THAN 2GB left?!

* Actually GiB, but assuming the OP's interpretation of GB=1024MB.
    Forum Member
    Well as i put in my first post i used to be with tesco mobile and that didnt drop below 2gb untill i had used more than 48mb. after saying that they did show it totally in mb 2048mb not 2.00gb as o2 do.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything, they are selling you short on megabytes, not gigabytes.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Gb is NOT 2,000 Mb, and it will never be. 2,000 Mb = 1.95 Gb. Any excuse to short change customers. On the grand scheme of things, yes it doesn't matter, but I just love the way some companies will invent little ways of ripping you off.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as i put in my first post i used to be with tesco mobile and that didnt drop below 2gb untill i had used more than 48mb. after saying that they did show it totally in mb 2048mb not 2.00gb as o2 do.
    You need to think carefully about what you're actually saying here. You can't seriously think that a 2GB allowance didn't drop below 2GB until you used more than 48MB, as this is like thinking a 2 litre bottle of Coke doesn't drop below 2 litres until you've poured out 48ml - you obviously drop below 2GB as soon as you start using it. If you mean that the allowance didn't drop below 2000MB until you used 48MB - well, that much is obvious too, but it's ludicrous to suggest that 2048MB is 2GB but it doesn't drop below 2GB until it goes below 2000MB.
    2Gb is NOT 2,000 Mb, and it will never be. 2,000 Mb = 1.95 Gb. Any excuse to short change customers.
    1000 vs 1024 is a debate for another time and place, but while you might argue 1024 is more generally accepted in the computer world, you can't say "2GB is NOT 2,000MB" when, technically speaking, it is. As for the short-changing customers comment, there so far is no evidence whatsoever that O2 are using anything other than 1GB=1024MB based on the flimsy example given by the OP.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Frankly I'm not sure how anyone manages on 2Gb a month...and on that basis for 48Mb to make any difference either way is beyond me.

I have the same view of BT. How they get away with actually selling their base broadband package with the 10Gb allowance beggars belief!
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    but I just love the way some companies will invent little ways of ripping you off.

Why does the conspiracy theory always get the benefit of the doubt over sheer incompetence (which is much more common). It's obvious that if there is a discrepancy, then it's just a misunderstanding at the network end. What company is going to risk the adverse publicity (when found out) for such a trivial difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not sure how anyone manages on 2Gb a month...and on that basis for 48Mb to make any difference either way is beyond me.
    Then you must be very narrow minded since the global average as well as the UK average are both well under 2GB. In fact the highest average in the UK of all networks is just 1.5GB.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not sure how anyone manages on 2Gb a month.

It's very simple really, you either stream media or you don't. As it happens I have no interest in music, and I never watch video on a tiny screen, preferring to watch on a real TV, so it's very rare that I use more than about 1Gb of my 3Gb EE allowance.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Why does the conspiracy theory always get the benefit of the doubt over sheer incompetence (which is much more common). It's obvious that if there is a discrepancy, then it's just a misunderstanding at the network end. What company is going to risk the adverse publicity (when found out) for such a trivial difference.

Or the user has misunderstood, as in this case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see the app data usage of people that use over 2gb of mobile data a month. Can't even begin to understand where all that goes .... from someone who used to have a 500mb limit and never even got to half of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you don't do 4G speedtests... A single 4G speedtest can take over 100MB.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see why I would do any speedtest, seems a pretty meaningless operation unless your actually testing the network.