Options

Sony KDL-40W2000

WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I now have some HD feed via a Virgin V+ box so was thinking of investing in a Sony KDL-40W2000 as it's had good write ups and looks the best I've so far seen at the local Comet.

However I currently have a Panny 28" CRT which has a really fantastic picture quality

What I am worried about if I get the Sony will I get a picture on SD broadcast say from Freeview that is
not so good as the Panny
Does the Sony upscale the picture so it looks good?

I also have a number of NTSC DVD's......is the Sony
PAL/NTSC compatible ?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Weetibix wrote: »
    I now have some HD feed via a Virgin V+ box so was thinking of investing in a Sony KDL-40W2000 as it's had good write ups and looks the best I've so far seen at the local Comet.

Unfortunately VM don't really have any HD channels, there's just the BBC demo channel and some VOD - you're far better off with Sky for HD.

However I currently have a Panny 28" CRT which has a really fantastic picture quality

What I am worried about if I get the Sony will I get a picture on SD broadcast say from Freeview that is
    not so good as the Panny
    Does the Sony upscale the picture so it looks good?

It upscales it, and they do look pretty good, but because it's so sharp you tend to notice the artifacts and flaws in the SD pictures. The low resolution on the CRT blurs the flaws, so they aren't so noticeable.

Also, bear in mind, if you're going to view from the same distance as your old set, that the set is a lot bigger, so the flaws will be a lot bigger as well.

But it's a good set, and has a good SD picture, plus a superb HD one.

I also have a number of NTSC DVD's......is the Sony
    PAL/NTSC compatible ?

Yes, and in any case you could (and probably should?) be viewing them via RGB, where it doesn't apply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately VM don't really have any HD channels, there's just the BBC demo channel and some VOD - you're far better off with Sky for HD.

Sky isn't an option due to cost
    I get V+ at a special deal at £5 a month

I really just want to know if I will be happy with the Sony or if I will be dissapointed when it shows up the flaws in SD.
    Is there anyone here who has gone down a similar route who can give me their opinion ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really just want to know if I will be happy with the Sony or if I will be dissapointed when it shows up the flaws in SD.
    Is there anyone here who has gone down a similar route who can give me their opinion ?

I installed one a couple of months ago, and I was very impressed with it's SD performance - the HD performance is spectacular though!. Really you need to go and see one in a shop, and see what you think!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I installed one a couple of months ago, and I was very impressed with it's SD performance - the HD performance is spectacular though!. Really you need to go and see one in a shop, and see what you think!.

as I said in my original post I have seen one in Comet
    and thought it was the best I have seen ......BUT it was showing HD content
    I am happy that the HD stuff will be great...I am only concerned that the SD could leave me dissapointed as it would look worse than my Panny
  • Options
    Forum Member
    as I said in my original post I have seen one in Comet
    and thought it was the best I have seen ......BUT it was showing HD content
    I am happy that the HD stuff will be great...I am only concerned that the SD could leave me dissapointed as it would look worse than my Panny

Ask them to show it you on SD - bear in mind though that ANY set will look crap on SD after you've been watching HD on it - simply because the transmitted picture is so inferior.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these and Sky HD (If they'll let me have the half price and free installation deal). There's a really good offer in John Lewis where you get the latest Sony HDMI 160GB DVD/HDD recorder (£300) and an Alphason stand (£100) FREE. I know the £1499 price tag is more than many other shops and the internet but with £400 of free stuff and a 5 year guarantee I think I'll go for it.
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i bought one of these a few weeks ago £1500 + 5yrs warranty

sky HD is out of this world

the SD channels through sky are quite good, some are poor with lower bit rates, the TV's own freeview pictures are better, all still very watchable but not as good as a high end CRT

my pioneer DV 545 (top of range in its time), (no progressive scan) also gives a good picture
    so i would recommend one :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John Lewis. Internet price £1499 with FREE Sony 160GB HDD/DVD recorder (£299) and stand (£100) plus a 5 year guarantee. BUT I bought one in-store last Saturday and the price was £1229 plus all the free stuff. I'm a chuffed Chorlton. :D
  • Options
    Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical :mad: :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr.B wrote: »
    Typical :mad: :cry:

Prices are dropping almost every week, whenever you buy it's going to be cheaper later!.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this tv do 1080P-24 for smooth HD playback
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this tv do 1080P-24 for smooth HD playback
    It definitely does 1080p, not sure about 24, is that the frame rate?
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the KDL-40W2000 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    dont buy one from your local comet mate, buy it online at comet at hundreds of pounds cheaper, then an hour later you can go pick it up from yuor local comet!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It definitely does 1080p, not sure about 24, is that the frame rate?
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the KDL-40W2000 :)

yep!

1080P24 is used for smoother playback where it reduces judder on pan scenes ect on movies
    locks the fps to 24 FPS same as the original movie

HD DVD/ BLU RAY is enccoded at 24 frames per second so it either sends 1 unique frame every 1/24 of a second (1080p/24) or repeats frames in an odd/even 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,2,2 (12 times = 60) sequence that enables 24 frames to fit in 60 cycles (1080p/60) so that why you get judder, 1080P24 as now used on PS3 uses this
    thus you get a smoother playback.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one and don't see anything about 24 FPS in the manual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    John Lewis. Internet price £1499 with FREE Sony 160GB HDD/DVD recorder (£299) and stand (£100) plus a 5 year guarantee. BUT I bought one in-store last Saturday and the price was £1229 plus all the free stuff. I'm a chuffed Chorlton. :D

HI, Chorlton that was certainly a cracking price you got that deal for. Can I ask which store it was at? Was it a price match ect?. My local John Lewis are sticking by £1350 instore for the same deal. Although good it could be better.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HI, Chorlton that was certainly a cracking price you got that deal for. Can I ask which store it was at? Was it a price match ect?. My local John Lewis are sticking by £1350 instore for the same deal. Although good it could be better.:p
    Hi Tiger, John Lewis, Harlequin Centre, Watford. I went in prepared to pay the £1499 it said on the website, I guess someone got a price match before me and I got the deal. :D