Looking for some direction in life and my career

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Hey guys, my names Lewis and I am very new to these forums :kitty:
I decided to come here for some varied opinions as I'm a bit lost career wise and thus it's affecting life, I shall explain.

Recently I was diagnosed with ADD and when talking to the psychiatrist I found out a lot of my 'bad habits' were most likely due to that. I mean I had found ways of managing them since I assumed it was just that 'bad habits'. These have been reasons I left most of my work places (losing interest, work becoming really repetitive etc). Most of these places have either been in retail or customer service positions and I always outperform what's expected of me but they do have those aspects. So I'm seeing the pattern and I'm now thinking what's the point in that area of work if It will just continue like a broken record.

A bit of history; I didn't do too good at school, I went to college studying Art and Design, I started on a beginner course and worked my way back up getting a few qualifications, then I made a decision that wasn't very thought out to study Architecture at University at first it was fine I've always been able to pick things up fast while I have an interest but I left in my second year due to a mix of personal issues and tutors being really frustrating. Then I've been bouncing from job to job, including 3D work for a game mod that became quite popular and I really enjoyed it but it ran it's course.

Through all this time I've been able to plan out what I'm doing next or at least a rough idea, including backup plans. I've always had one main goal of working in something I really enjoy as do many others, even if it was a struggle to get there. Recently I've been looking at the larger picture and I'm seeing a downwards slope, I realised that I don't have a plan or a backup any more and I haven't for awhile, it's the first time my minds been running blanks. I can't seem to get back on track and it's frustrating.

So I'm not too sure what I'm looking for from this post, thoughts, views, advice? sometimes it's nice to just talk to others who know about these situations or have been in this position. Maybe it'll be what I need to jump start some ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if I've made any mistakes regarding the thread, subject, etc. I do apologize it's my first thread. :)

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about finishing your degree? Either in Architecture or a Computer Gaming design/technology course?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I did consider going back into Architecture but by the time I left I wasn't enjoying the course which is probably due to the poor teaching as I do like the subject. I did consider finishing it but I wouldn't be able to fund the 2 years Student finance would only fund one more year also with the huge university price rises it would be a matter of value, would I be willing to take on all that extra debt.

In regards to the game design, I was a bit fuzzy about that. The work I did was mainly modelling/map design. I've only looked into coding a little. I guess I'd want to consider types of funding for the course and during the course.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Do go back to your studies, you're obviously an articulate and intelligent person. Concentrate on your passions, achieve success, don't give in to mediocrity.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Lewis, welcome to DS :)

If you are struggling with your studies, have you considered an Apprenticeship? Studying doesnt suit everyone and it's not the only way to find a career that suits you. You can often start off in one role in a company and diversify if something else interests you more. I tried to search what might be available in your area but you might need to have a look yourself as the website I found is asking for a postcode. If you were getting bored/ distracted in your previous positions it sounds like you need a real challenge.

http://www.youthconnexions-hertfordshire.org/careers/jobs-apprenticeships/

Or if that doesnt help, are you up to really branching out and going off on USA Summer camp or something? I did this years ago and it was the best thing I ever did http://www.campamerica.co.uk/apply/apply-now/7

Or you could volunteer for something like this...

http://coderdojo.com/#zoom=3&lat=48.9225&lon=-35.15625&layers=00B0T

I wouldnt worry too much at this stage - took me years to find something I enjoy! Good luck
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your replies :) I think the overwhelming choice would be to go back to university. I will have to take some time to decide what I'll want to do.

In regards to the summer camp, I would love to do something like that but there's no way I could afford it. I think I probably am just worrying a bit too much, I have previously looked into doing volunteer work, which would mean I'd be travelling also which I'd love.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Some of the advice contained within this thread here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1945932&highlight= might be of interest and relevance.
    Forum Member
    I will take a look. Thank you
    Forum Member
    The advice there is good, I mean I don't have trouble getting work. I'm really good in interviews and I never doubt I can't do the work.

I am thinking that game design or a design based career would be a more suitable direction for me. The project I worked on was really rewarding, it was great to be so creative and see it used and admired by so many people.

At first I was worried about making another decision now to follow then it doesn't turn out to be what I hoped. Then I would be back to square one but after reading some of your replies I'm not too worried.