Options

1 bed flat - can anyone give me some average bill costs?

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a pretty big a bed flat.... Just wanted some idea of what people pay per month for gas and electricity.

We want to set up a DD and have been quoted £40 a month for electiricity and £45 for gas. Our old place was smaller (and had meters) the lekky sounds about right, just not sure about gas.

2 of us live there and both work full time!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    £72 per month for gas AND electricity, 3 bed semi

Sounds a bit excessive your end to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FreyaBell wrote: »
    £72 per month for gas AND electricity, 3 bed semi

Sounds a bit excessive your end to me!

Not sure if my location has any bearing? I am central London...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    mine are probably a bit unrepresentative as npower keep messing up my direct debits (was totally underpaying when i first moved in, so they hiked the direct debit up too high and now i'm about £100 in credit on both!!)

but to give you an idea mine works out at about £50 a month, would probably be less but i don't have double glazing so i'm heating half the street as well as the flat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Try to avoid the direct debit method as they try to make them much bigger than needed.
    Also avoid estimated readings by trying to get an online account where you can enter your own readings regularly.
    2 bed flat with two of us home all day most days.
    at this time of year about £22/£25 per week gas and electric.
    Gas for heating and water only.
    Double glazed all round.
  • Options
    GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 1 bedroom flat and pay direct debit, £22 a month for gas and £25 a month for electric with BG.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Try to avoid the direct debit method as they try to make them much bigger than needed.
    Also avoid estimated readings by trying to get an online account where you can enter your own readings regularly.
    2 bed flat with two of us home all day most days.
    at this time of year about £22/£25 per week gas and electric.
    Gas for heating and water only.
    Double glazed all round.

Not to mention all the interest they earn on the money from those over inflated direct debits.

I have a two bed semi, suppliers B/Gas and Southern, I pay about £10 a week electric and about £15 on gas. The electric is a bit cheaper in milder/warmer months and the gas is just a couple of quid for running the boiler for hot water.

Take into account things like immersion heaters, kettle, washing machine, tumble dryer and cooker, for bumping up the cost of your electric.

If you have large rooms your gas quote could be about right. How many rads do you have? I have 5 and my yearly gas bill works out to about £350, give or take a few quid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention all the interest they earn on the money from those over inflated direct debits.

I have a two bed semi, suppliers B/Gas and Southern, I pay about £10 a week electric and about £15 on gas. The electric is a bit cheaper in milder/warmer months and the gas is just a couple of quid for running the boiler for hot water.

Take into account things like immersion heaters, kettle, washing machine, tumble dryer and cooker, for bumping up the cost of your electric.

If you have large rooms your gas quote could be about right. How many rads do you have? I have 5 and my yearly gas bill works out to about £350, give or take a few quid.

I didn't think about the negatives of DD!! We just didn't want to get stung with a big bill in a few months time :o

We have 5 rads too - so £45 a month seems incredibly excessive!!!

I have overpaid electricity before (ended up witha £300 rebate when I left a previous property) so I know you get it back .... eventually!!

Thanks for the advice everyone.... I am going to check it out...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 bed terraced here... gas+elec comes to just over £40 a month so I would agree, those prices seem a little high.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also take into account stuff like double glazing and ceiling height. Having lived in a flat with massive tall ceilings and no double glazing (Victorian) I know the bills can be a lot more than for a bog standard modern semi.

We have since moved in said bog standard semi and have been told by British Gas that around here a 3 bed semis costs between £700 and £1,200 a year (£13 - £23 a week) for gas and electric, depending on usage (i.e if heating is on constant or just particular times of the day).
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im in one bed apartment or flat £15 GAS £25 electric
    my boiler is brand new and im in credit with both im with edf
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

Any average cost figures in 2014?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

Any average cost figures in 2014?

Oddly we still live in the same place and still pay the same as we did 4 years ago.

I think to be honest we were paying an "overestimation" to begin with and that kept the costs down overall.

We recently changed energy suppliers based and based on usage (not estimations) we still pay this amount.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    My one bed flat costs £45 per month for gas and electric combined.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »

I am confused here, why would DD make the bills bigger ? I use DD to make the payment but give a monthly reading, check if your plan allows this.

Over time this will disappear anyway as smart meters get introduced.

As for OP, gas bill sounds a bit high but if you want to know for your area most suppliers have tools on their website allow you to compare your bill to similar properties in your area.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything in my one bed flat is electric, including the heating. It's only a few years old.

I pay £33 a month. I'm ridiculously sensible about turning everything off though.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just paid a 3 month combined gas/lecky bill.......289 quid

two bedroom flat in central London with one occupant, gas central heating and hot water, but I'm in most of the time and have heating on during the day and evening in winter

previous bill for oct to dec was about 345 quid

so I reckon 100 pounds a month during the winter
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about £40 per month for both with NPower in London.

A few years ago was more like 25
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if my location has any bearing? I am central London...

From my experience, no that doesn't really have any bearing or impact, so no is my answer to the issue of location.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get away with about 30 a month electric and anywhere between 20 and 30 a month gas, depending on the weather.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    We are in a two bed flat, high ceiling partial double glazed built about 1910, November to March was 132 electricity and Gas 164 pounds with the price hike. I expect next quarter will be a lot cheaper, in the summer months last year it was under 100 in total, just purely energy for baths and occasional hot meal, being outdoors more I suppose :)