Nokia 808 pureview what do you think and are you getting one?

1234568»

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    jonspurs wrote: »
    Hey,
    News says Nokia will releae a 41mp Windows Phone 8...to be unveiled on he 25th February at MWC.
    Though I'd like to know how you've all got on with your 808 please? I like Symbian but curious to common porblems/issues if any?

Cheers,
    Jon

interesting news.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey,
    News says Nokia will releae a 41mp Windows Phone 8...to be unveiled on he 25th February at MWC.
    Though I'd like to know how you've all got on with your 808 please? I like Symbian but curious to common porblems/issues if any?

Cheers,
    Jon

Rumours, only rumours. More likely something between the 808 and 920 sensor, the 808 unit would make the phone too chunky for most people (even though no-one who's used my 808 has complained about it being too big).

The 808 is fantastic, only problem I've had was circumvented by disabling HSDPA (later ones don't have the hardware bug).

Reliable, definitely quick enough for me. Prefer it to my iPhone 4S for browsing.

Goes without saying that the camera is good - insanely good, to the point that I can't consider any other mobile now. If you want a decent camera in your phone, its the only choice, the 920, iPhone 4S, SGS3, etc. - all pretty sucky cameras in comparison.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I don't rate the sensor being all THAT great. There is better tech coming out shortly. 41mp is a gimmick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't rate the sensor being all THAT great. There is better tech coming out shortly. 41mp is a gimmick.

41mp is not a gimmick, I really don't think you understand what the 808 is trying to do, or how it works.

Who has better tech coming along? Not Sony or Samsung, neither of whom have done anything to truly advance mobile imaging. Their latest 13mp sensors are still relatively noisy affairs.

Stills taken in pureview mode are close to DSLR levels of clarity - sure, you don't have the same level of creative control, but it fits in your pocket and can make calls.

The 808 has been proven time and time again to better every single compact camera on the market on image quality (due to the 808 having a larger sensor and no compromised megazoom optics), you have to go to a bridge camera (ie. larger sensor) before you can better the 808.

And if you like video, the 808 is the only one that can do a decent amount of zoom without cropping (as a result of that apparent gimmick). It is also the only phone that can do decent stereo audio recording at indecently high volume levels - I've recorded stuff with the 808 practically in the speaker at a rock gig and the resulting audio was virtually sound board quality.
  • jonspursjonspurs Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Cheers clonmult.

It's been a year now since the 808 was announced...so in that year as tech improves they could have shrunk the whole 41mp unit...or as you said have something slightly lower res.
    If it doesn't have xenon then I may have to pass.

I don't think the normal Joe Bloggs understands the 41mp purpose.

I'lll wait for the 25th and decide which to get...I'll update any news here when it happens.

Jon
    Forum Member

41MP is not a gimmick at all.

it is not designed for taking 41MP images, It's a means to an end. it allows oversampling to reduce noise. and a good zoom without the optics.

i vaguely remember you saying this before. and i suspect my answer would have been the same then too. read the white paper.
    http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/849564/data/2/-/Download1.pdf
    Forum Member
    Cheers clonmult.

It's been a year now since the 808 was announced...so in that year as tech improves they could have shrunk the whole 41mp unit...or as you said have something slightly lower res.
    If it doesn't have xenon then I may have to pass.

I don't think the normal Joe Bloggs understands the 41mp purpose.

I'lll wait for the 25th and decide which to get...I'll update any news here when it happens.

Jon

there are advantages and disadvantages to led flash.

the received wisdom is that xenon is always better, but that is not always the case. obviously xenon has stayed the same for years whilst the led has been being developed fast.

the made problem with led is that it's lit for longer. but you can sometimes use a fast shutter to get around this.
  • jonspursjonspurs Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    there are advantages and disadvantages to led flash.

the received wisdom is that xenon is always better, but that is not always the case. obviously xenon has stayed the same for years whilst the led has been being developed fast.

the made problem with led is that it's lit for longer. but you can sometimes use a fast shutter to get around this.

True, pros and cons of both, though the Pureview 808 has both LED and xenon.

For photos, you can't beat a xenon, which is my want - what Nikon/Canon/Sony/Panasonic/any digital camera out there has an LED instead of xenon - none :-S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, pros and cons of both, though the Pureview 808 has both LED and xenon.

For photos, you can't beat a xenon, which is my want - what Nikon/Canon/Sony/Panasonic/any digital camera out there has an LED instead of xenon - none :-S

Thats my argument too :D

Although I think the ring/macro flashes tend to be LED?

I've now had a good few months with both the 808 and an iPhone 4S side by side, and for my usage (calls, texts, web, music, occasional gaming and of course photography), the 808 comprehensively whups the 4S.

But thats my usage, everyones mileage will vary.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,385
    Forum Member
    To the person who asked, I've had the 808 for six months now. It is a good phone, the Belle FP 2 OS is really good, BUT it is a bit buggy. The phone freezes sometimes, randomly reboots a couple of times a week (always when I happen to be showing someone something on the phone). When the software updated to FP2, I had to wipe the whole phone because Nokia drive stopped working. I just came back from holiday and whenever I tried to connexct to a hotels wi-fi where it took you to the hotels landling page, the phones keyboard would stop working when trying to type in my e-mail address, the keyboard would then not work on messages or any other app, leading to me havign to reboot the phone.

The camera is excellent and I do really like the phone most of the time, but I wanted to give an honest account of my experience with it.
    Forum Member
    To the person who asked, I've had the 808 for six months now. It is a good phone, the Belle FP 2 OS is really good, BUT it is a bit buggy. The phone freezes sometimes, randomly reboots a couple of times a week (always when I happen to be showing someone something on the phone). When the software updated to FP2, I had to wipe the whole phone because Nokia drive stopped working. I just came back from holiday and whenever I tried to connexct to a hotels wi-fi where it took you to the hotels landling page, the phones keyboard would stop working when trying to type in my e-mail address, the keyboard would then not work on messages or any other app, leading to me havign to reboot the phone.

The camera is excellent and I do really like the phone most of the time, but I wanted to give an honest account of my experience with it.

there is a fix for that in the betalabs
    http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/wlan-software-update
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What percentage of people actually print their colour photographs?

For many a 2 mega pixel camera is fine, and maybe more convenient too.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

it's not really as simple as that.

the megapixels are only one aspect. there are no good 2MP cameras about. there are a lot more strings to the 808's photographic bow.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,385
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    there is a fix for that in the betalabs
    http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/wlan-software-update
    Thanks for that, I wish I had saw that two weeks ago though!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, I wish I had saw that two weeks ago though!

you're in luck really because i only saw it yesterday, and it's been there for 3 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

That is true, but you should see the results from the 808 in 2MP mode. Images of quite amazing clarity. I do often dial in 2mp mode (which gives higher levels of lossless zoom, albeit with gradually increasing noise).

No other phone on the market gives lossless zoom, aside from the few that have tried optical zoom, and those weren't of any note.