Have you ever made the mistake of unecessarily re-installing Windows?

Have you ever made the mistake of unecessarily re-installing Windows? One of my mum's friends did when her computer wouldn't boot up due to a corrupt boot.ini file. They didn't do a repair installation either, they did a full Windows re-install! :mad:

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What caused the corrupt file? sounds like someone was a messing around and when you get a machine thats been shall we say had half its options changed/lord knows whats happened to it i'd nuke it and start again as i prefer a solid base to restore their crap on to not something i'm gonna spend the next week revisiting every night fixing some other little problem
  • Maureen_EveshamMaureen_Evesham Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    What caused the corrupt file? sounds like someone was a messing around and when you get a machine thats been shall we say had half its options changed/lord knows whats happened to it i'd nuke it and start again as i prefer a solid base to restore their crap on to not something i'm gonna spend the next week revisiting every night fixing some other little problem
    But this computer was running perfectly well in every other way, it was just this boot problem which needed fixing! :mad:
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But this computer was running perfectly well in every other way, it was just this boot problem which needed fixing! :mad:

But the boot.ini file isn't something that just gets corrupted by random chance...something has to either target the file to edit it or theres been a drive corruption due to physical error or a power blip just as the files been accessed, windows doesn't just decide hmm...todays monday lets do a random f-up of a system file and todays winner is boot.ini
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Maureen didn't live long did she?
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not made any mistakes in re-installing Windows, but if I had to then so be it