Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, The World's End

1235»

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I cant believe The Worlds End seems to have flopped at the box office. I thought it would be a huge hit and run for weeks but my local Cineworld dropped after only two weeks and it has now gone from the top ten films after only three weeks.

The unusually hot weather (in some areas anyway) seems to have affected cinemas. I've been in a sparsely-attended screening and walked out to find the outdoor areas of pubs and restaurants absolutely heaving with people. Also, maybe it was poor judgment to release the most grown-up of the trilogy at the start of the school holidays.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ $13m isn't all that bad (roughly same as Pacific Rim at the mo), but it won't get anywhere near the $41m Hot Fuzz made here.

I'd agree they released it at an odd time - perhaps pushing it into Autumn to catch the adult & college crowds would've been a better move, if possible. Will probably fare better on BR/DVD etc.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it on Friday and absolutely loved it. The soundtrack was amazing too which resulted in me also dancing while watching it, much to my boyfriend's embarrassment! The story was good although I would have loved it if the others had as much to do in it as Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as I thought there were totally underused.

Soundtrack as follows-

1. Loaded – Primal Scream
    2. There’s No Other Way – Blur
    3. I Put This On A Tape For You (Dialogue)
    4. I’m Free – Soup Dragons
    5. Step On – Happy Mondays
    6. Was The Music Too Loud (Dialogue)
    7. So Young – Suede
    8. Old Red Eyes Is Back – Beautiful South
    9. A Humble Taproom (Dialogue)
    10. Come Home – James
    11. Do You Remember The First Time – Pulp
    12. Welcome (Dialogue)
    13. What You Do To Me – Teenage Fanclub
    14. Fools Gold – The Stone Roses
    15. Get A Life – Soul II Soul
    16. We Have Changed (Dialogue)
    17. This Is How It Feels – Inspiral Carpets
    18. Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) – The Doors
    19. Wear Your Love Like Heaven – Definition Of Sound
    20. This Is What The Kids Want (Dialogue)
    21. Step Back In Time – Kylie Minogue
    22. Join Our Club – St Etienne
    23. Here’s Where The Story Ends – The Sundays
    24. I Hate This Town (Dialogue)
    25. 20 Seconds To Comply (The World’s End Bomb Squad Mix Re – Edit) – Silver Bullet
    26. This Corrosion – The Sisters Of Mercy
    27. Happy Hour – The Housemartins
    28. Let’s Boo Boo (Dialogue)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I cant believe The Worlds End seems to have flopped at the box office. I thought it would be a huge hit and run for weeks but my local Cineworld dropped after only two weeks and it has now gone from the top ten films after only three weeks.

Also I assume that the generally negative reviews means that a lot of casual fans are just going to wait for the DVD (rip). I went from definitely going to see it (even though I didn't think much of Hot Fuzz) to not being bothered.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    The more I think about it, in movie terms, Hot Fuzz was an amazingly fantastic accident.

Especially when you realise Hot Fuzz had a (relatively) tiny budget and although it did have the success of SOTD ahead of it, Pegg & Frost were still much more unknown back then.

It's unfortunately the exception rather than the rule.
    As no one else has picked up on this there's a chance this is some sort of in-joke, but...

Shaun of the Dead came first.

Hot Fuzz rode the success of SoTD three years later, by which time the "unknown" Pegg had appeared in Mission Impossible III alongside Tom Cruise. :D
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I assume that the generally negative reviews means that a lot of casual fans are just going to wait for the DVD (rip). I went from definitely going to see it (even though I didn't think much of Hot Fuzz) to not being bothered.

"Generally negative reviews"? Really?

"Wright has upped his directorial game" four stars - Time Out
    "highly amusing, and handsomely photographed" - Observer
    "[Wright] has saved the best for last" four stars - Guardian
    "by turns trashy, poignant and gut-bustingly funny, and often all three at once." four stars - Telegraph

and so on...

OK, the Daily Mail was lukewarm ("For all its flaws, The World's End is fun. It's not as appealing as Shaun Of The Dead, but I preferred it to Hot Fuzz" three stars).

But if you want generally negative, you have to read the Financial Times:

"The World’s End is a midsummer British comedy. That is practically a factory label declaring faulty goods." one star

and I'm not sure the average filmgoer waits to find out what the FT thinks before buying a ticket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I saw it on Friday and absolutely loved it. The soundtrack was amazing too which resulted in me also dancing while watching it, much to my boyfriend's embarrassment! The story was good although I would have loved it if the others had as much to do in it as Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as I thought there were totally underused.

Soundtrack as follows-

7. So Young – Suede
    10. Come Home – James
    12. Welcome (Dialogue)
    25. 20 Seconds To Comply (The World’s End Bomb Squad Mix Re – Edit) – Silver Bullet

Yoo were dancing in a cinema?
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it last week - Thought it was brill! Spurned me on to watch Shaun of the Dead for the first time also, this weekend...Really enjoyed it!

Can anyone recommend their other movies Paul and Hot Fuzz?
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxy23 wrote: »
    I saw it last week - Thought it was brill! Spurned me on to watch Shaun of the Dead for the first time also, this weekend...Really enjoyed it!

Can anyone recommend their other movies Paul and Hot Fuzz?

Hot Fuzz was average but Shaun of the Dead was great. Simon Pegg is great in movies even Star Trek and his ones on his own.

Paul is a fantastic movie. Should definitely get a sequel as for me it's one of there best and on a Hollywood scale.

Worlds End was good and had some great laugh out moments.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    "Generally negative reviews"? Really?

"Wright has upped his directorial game" four stars - Time Out
    "highly amusing, and handsomely photographed" - Observer
    "[Wright] has saved the best for last" four stars - Guardian
    "by turns trashy, poignant and gut-bustingly funny, and often all three at once." four stars - Telegraph

and so on...

OK, the Daily Mail was lukewarm ("For all its flaws, The World's End is fun. It's not as appealing as Shaun Of The Dead, but I preferred it to Hot Fuzz" three stars).

But if you want generally negative, you have to read the Financial Times:

"The World’s End is a midsummer British comedy. That is practically a factory label declaring faulty goods." one star

and I'm not sure the average filmgoer waits to find out what the FT thinks before buying a ticket.

I meant generally negative as not as good as expected. Maybe it's just my friends but everyone I asked who saw it said it wasn't great.
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the reviews were generally excellent, rather than negative.
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »

Soundtrack as follows-

7. So Young – Suede
    10. Come Home – James
    12. Welcome (Dialogue)

That is a cool soundtrack.
    I wonder if its the 10.55 min version of This Corrosion?
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    Yoo were dancing in a cinema?

Dancing in my seat as opposed to dancing in the aisles. People would have been chucking popcorn at me if that was the case! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Saw it last Wednesday night in a packed house and loved it. I had so much fun with the film. I liked it more than Hot Fuzz personally and I can't wait for the blu-ray release so I can watch it again in the comfort of my home. Really enjoyable comedy film with heart. Glad I ignored the negative reviews I'd come across prior to seeing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested, you can now get Hot Fuzz- (Their best film, maybe??) for the ridiculous price of £4.08

Link HERE

Why are DVDs and blue rays going right down in price? Is the next format going to be out soon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Fuzz was average but Shaun of the Dead was great.

This is sort of what my mate thought until we watched both of them back to back prior to seeing World's End.

Wfater watching them both he has readjusted his view: Hot Fuzz is a much better film story-wise, depth-wise, acting, set-pieces etc.

I have always preferred Hot Fuzz to Shaun.

However...we *are* talking about Rizla paper sized gaps between all 3 films from my point of view.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested, you can now get Hot Fuzz- (Their best film, maybe??) for the ridiculous price of £4.08

Link HERE

Why are DVDs and blue rays going right down in price? Is the next format going to be out soon?

Hot Fuzz is 6 years old, it's not really surprising that the DVD is that price, especially since DVD is a slowly dying format now. Infact, I'm surprised that the DVD is still that much, I've seen it for under £3 before.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant generally negative as not as good as expected. Maybe it's just my friends but everyone I asked who saw it said it wasn't great.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 91%, which is very high, especially for a comedy of this sort. It's the same score as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

If people were listening to reviews they'd go see it. They're not going to see it despite generally positive reviews.

I saw it this afternoon in a fairly empty theater and thought it was excellent.

I slightly preferred Shaun of the Dead at the time, but I think it has more to do with coming first than with being objectively better. On rewatch it's not really better than the other two.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Hot Fuzz is 6 years old, it's not really surprising that the DVD is that price, especially since DVD is a slowly dying format now. Infact, I'm surprised that the DVD is still that much, I've seen it for under £3 before.

You can probably get it for a quid in CeX or on Blu Day for under £4 quid in there.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea when the DVD is going to be released? It usually only takes about 4 months from cinema release doesn't it?

I'm dying to see it again. Still scouring the P2P sites but nothing yet :(