Screening at the Celebration

Comedybuff4000Comedybuff4000 Posts: 20
Forum Member
Couldn't see a thread for this yet. Is there anyone else going to the Celebration on the 23rd? I'm getting a little bit nervous with the lack of details about the Day of the Doctor screening, and the rumours online suggest that there will only be capacity at the venue for half of the attendees!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's now correct.

From what I heard, they hadn't even factored in a screening of Day Of The Doctor originally, but that was corrected MONTHS ago.

Sadly, I'd normally defend the BBC to the hilt, but to have months to prepare and make this a big event for all the fans across the globe, then take the fans money and then say a good portion can't watch the episode along with every other fan in the world?

It smacks completely of cock-up - especially when there was a dedicated screening just down the road at the O2 they could have used as an overflow. It's like telling us we're all paying the same, but some of can only watch the support band. I'll be taking my nephew and a friend of his to ExCel - and he lives miles outside of London. So now it's a gamble as to whether he'll be able to watch Day Of The Doctor.

Sorry, Beeb, not fair.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's now correct.

From what I heard, they hadn't even factored in a screening of Day Of The Doctor originally, but that was corrected MONTHS ago.

Sadly, I'd normally defend the BBC to the hilt, but to have months to prepare and make this a big event for all the fans across the globe, then take the fans money and then say a good portion can't watch the episode along with every other fan in the world?

It smacks completely of cock-up - especially when there was a dedicated screening just down the road at the O2 they could have used as an overflow. It's like telling us we're all paying the same, but some of can only watch the support band. I'll be taking my nephew and a friend of his to ExCel - and he lives miles outside of London. So now it's a gamble as to whether he'll be able to watch Day Of The Doctor.

Sorry, Beeb, not fair.

I thought exactly the same. ALL the fans, (who did pay £50 lest we forget) should be able to see the 50th without any being left in the cold. First-come-first serve is literally the worst way to do this. There's what - 5,000 fans on the Saturday? A devoted screening at the O2 is the perfect solution! Otherwise it's just not adequate. You attend a full day of Whovian events only to miss out on seeing the 50th special, one of the major highlights! And for those who are travelling a long way for it, I can't think of much worse than watching the 50th on a small TV in a hotel room - not even in the comfort of one's own home! (Especially if you were expecting a screening at the Excel, thus didn't buy cinema tickets, which has led to some self-kicking *points at self*)

Yet again, normal people make better solutions than the higher ups could ever think of.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know about this. Pretty shocking organisation! What do they think the people there are celebrating?
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Also I think the screening at the celebration will be in 2D.

I must admit that Saturday would have been my preferred choice of day to attend, what with Tom being there too, but I deliberately opted for a different day because the details about the screening seemed rather vague.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was an issue to brought to the organisational team months back, before tickets even went on sale. So why this hasn't been resolved and left to everyone to fight out, especially with just a 2D screening? Lordy knows why.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omnishambles, that's what this is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I get that cinema screenings can and will sell out. That's just like any other big blockbuster movie release.

What I don't get is that *nothing* has been put in place for the fans who BBC Worldwide want, at minimum, and extra £50+ from fans going to their event on the day itself. And that's if you didn't spend money on a TARDIS ticket, autograph sessions, photos...