Options

Weight training/lifting for older women?

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a quick rundown of where I was, and where I am now, so I can get the right advice

A few years ago I became ill and was very inactive on so many meds and so put on a ton of weight.
I am now always in ketosis (Keto diet) and my health has improved so much. I'm losing weight and feeling great.

I was wondering if weight training/lifting would be good to help tone me up?
Only worry is, I still have quite weak wrists and my overall power and strength is not as good as it was a few years ago.

What are your thoughts? I have always kept in shape by dancing before now. Just feel I need something that is going to help me tone all over at the moment.

Also how much roughly does it cost and can I do it without getting a yearly membership do you think?

Comments

• Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lifting weight is a great activity for older people. It prevents bone loss and improves your overall health. There are even books and videos for weightlifting over 50, if you want a program. Otherwise the advice is pretty much the same for all newbies: don't sacrifice form for weight. Alternative the muscle groups you work, Lift as much weight as you can for 6 to 10 reps. Add sets before you up weight and so forth.

I have a set of free weights I use at home. You don't need to spend a bunch of money, just get what you need - I started with 5, 8, 10 pound dumbbells. Later I bought 15 and a bar set.
    Have fun and good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    For muscle tone, as opposed to adding muscle, do more reps with smaller weights. That doesn't mean you're in danger of hypertrophy with big weights, though - I didn't mean that. It's just that (say) 12-15 reps with smaller weights is better for what you're aiming for.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    For muscle tone, as opposed to adding muscle, do more reps with smaller weights. That doesn't mean you're in danger of hypertrophy with big weights, though - I didn't mean that. It's just that (say) 12-15 reps with smaller weights is better for what you're aiming for.

When you're older it's all about building muscle to stem the naturally occurring muscle loss. Amother goal is improved bone density. There's very little danger of an older woman "bulking up" under a normal lifting regime, unless she's taking testosterone or steroids.

"Toning" will happen naturally with a good lifting program.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought of running this past your GP?

If there are health issues involved, they can often refer you to a gym for advice and support. Where I live there is a charge of 11 pounds for the initial assessment, and then 3 pounds something per session attended - a session can involve instruction or just use of gym facilities. It's pretty flexible, i.e. you can just have the initial assessment and advice, and use your own equipment at home. Or, do both and follow an agreed programme with support and advice; or just train at the gym. The instructors do a course re working with various conditions and linked to the GP referral program.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I think I shall do it.. :D

I shall see my Dr first and see if there is anything she suggests as well.