Options

For fans of Ice Road Truckers --- new series

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
Looks good. Advertised during the show's 4th season and due next week I think, "Ice Road Truckers --- Most dangerous roads". The clip I saw had them driving around a really narrow winding mountain road. Looking forward to this on History.

Comments

• Options
    uktiggeruktigger Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I watched this, and it is indeed a good programme. Definitely worth watching

Just shows though, how bad driving in India is !
  • Options
    mivvykinsmivvykins Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I've been watching the clips for the new show based on mountain roads in India - I wonder why Hugh wasn't invited?
    Anything to do with his short fuse I wonder?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Excellent - looking forward to it with high expectations (no pun intended).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just happy to see more of Lisa!! :D:D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Can't wait! It looks a completely different type of driving fear!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad is addicted to this show. He goes 'they're saying it's a vertical road...THAT'S not a vertical road..wait til I rewind it so you can see it'. It must take twice as long to watch it as it normally would
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    mivvykins wrote: »
    I've been watching the clips for the new show based on mountain roads in India - I wonder why Hugh wasn't invited?
    Anything to do with his short fuse I wonder?

Or the way he cuts corners to get the job done quicker, and his competiveness with Alex might have made him to much of a loose cannon and a potential risk.

It's wouldn't go down to well if one of the truckers themselves were to die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The promo indicates that someone DOES die, though I doubt it's one of the usual gang.

Truck fallen over the edge, wrecked. Conversation goes:

"He's still in there!"
    "He's still in the truck?"
    "He's dead."

May of course turn out to be just them supposing the guy is dead, and he survives....
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have the next series in the uk !...as theres so much snow and ice here at the moment ! :D
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching this now? It's terrifying but hilarious at the same time. We were howling at Rick Yem on the road to Shimla - he was about to have a coronary.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    zeebra wrote: »
    Anyone watching this now? It's terrifying but hilarious at the same time. We were howling at Rick Yem on the road to Shimla - he was about to have a coronary.

It's a good job Alex didn't make to that part of the road, otherwise he would have had a heart attack with his history of heart trouble.

You can see why Hugh wasn't asked as he would have hit those trying to overtake Rick off the road and probably killed himself in the process.

Perhaps though they should ask Rick to run the Dalton on the next series of IRT other than that crybaby Greg Boadwine.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly an eye opener - after seeing that and the Commonwealth Games fiasco it is clear that life is cheap in India.
  • Options
    petestanpetestan Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to watch the series link doesn't seem to be working for this so it's on Thursday next week at 9pm again.
  • Options
    Enter_the_monkEnter_the_monk Posts: 2,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that too......some of the repeated show - like the 1am version DID have a series link that worked....i think its the one you pick to record!
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what channel is it on?
  • Options
    Enter_the_monkEnter_the_monk Posts: 2,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History - HD and Non HD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this series.The one thing that has annoyed me about IRT is the drama they feel they need to add. They will put in a cliffhanger before the ad break and when it returns nothing happens! There was no need to do that with this series.The first episode with Rick on that road was both heart stopping and hilarious when Rick was swearing.

By the way was there no episode this Thursday (30th Dec)? Next one seems to be 6th Jan.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    For those of us that cannot receive History, good news - Series 4 comes to Channel 5 next month.
    DOCUMENTARY: Ice Road Truckers
    On: Five (5)
    Date: Friday 21st January 2011 (starting in 20 days)
    Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

Documentary series examining the dangerous job of driving trucks on Alaska's Dalton Highway. The truck drivers gear up for another season on the icy roads. Greg and Lisa both have points to prove, Alex faces trouble on a mountain pass and rookie Ray makes a potentially lethal mistake.
    (New, Stereo, Followed by Five News Update, PG, 3 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=87587

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be a rerun of Season 3. Season 4 is set in India!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Must be a rerun of Season 3. Season 4 is set in India!

The spin off IRT dangerous roads is set in India, Ice road truckers season 4 is set in Alaska now although they started in Canada back in season 1.

http://www.history.co.uk/shows/ice-road-truckers/archive/season-4/about.html

http://www.history.co.uk/shows/ice-road-truckers/about.html
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is IRT just a victory of style over content ?

When it's studied closely there in a 45 min episode there is very little footage of anything dangerous, it's all in the editing and the audio.

With only one camera in the cab, it's impossible to film ( at one and the same time) , Lisa's wheel's slipping, Lisa's rig getting close to the 100 foot drop, an overhead shot of Lisa's rig and a undershot of Lisa's rig. All we have is Lisa's reaction to the incident, all the rest of the footage is random, stock footage, slickly edited, of OTHER rigs.

Has anyone seen an actual accident on this show, or just the aftermath ?

I like the idea of IRT, but It's done on the cheap.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With only one camera in the cab, it's impossible to ...

Has anyone seen an actual accident on this show, or just the aftermath ?

Whilst I take your point ...

(but you have to bear in mind that TV is "fake" by its very nature - every time you see people "meet" and then, for example, go indoors, you invariably see a reverse shot from inside the house. They clearly filmed things twice and cut them together.)

With IRT - World's Most Dangerous Roads ...

Didn't we see an overhead shot (from a cab-mounted "webcam") of Alex ripping the door off a parked car (which, in his defence, threw its door open without looking as he was already driving past). And we (almost) saw him colliding with the car that came out of a junction expecting him to stop.

There was also a minor landslide (well, rockfall) a couple of weeks ago that got everyone running for cover.

And we've seen a few instances of lorries with one rear tyre completely off the road.

There's unusually more than just "one camera in the cab". There's at least two mini-cams on the windscreen and a cameraman sitting in the back. There is also a "chase" 4x4 which contains another camera (and production crew).

But, on balance, yes ... you are pretty unlikely to see a full-on cinema-style car-crash or the like. You just can't film every angle of three trucks 24/7 for two months.

What I find a bit "fake" is the pretence that Lisa is "alone" - whether on the Ice Road or in India. Last week we saw her close to being mobbed before Rick and Dave came to her rescue. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that there was another member of the IRT crew in the cab doing the filming - and the 4x4 wouldn't have been far away. There's no way the organisation would have left her in serious peril with an angry mob :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IRT season 5 is based on the Dalton Highway, USA and half in Manitoba, Canada this year according to the History Channel on twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/historyuk