Options

Pan's Labyrinth

2»

Comments

• Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to re-watch it. I wasn't really concentrating the first time round. It was stunning to look at though.

I was really scarred by a bloke cutting another man's face open with a bottle though. :(
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re-watched it after looking up the story of the Spanish Marquis fighters at the end of WWII. The historical aspects then made more sense.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Letters From Iwo Jima was the best for me.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    A Serious Man was so boring i stopped watching it and
    Pineapple Express was awful
    in my opinion naturally.

A Serious Man was boring? Pineapple Express awful? These flicks lift the soul! I'd rather watch these than spank my life watching daytime / evening soap operas, which In my opinion, are worse than a crack comedown.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »
    I would like to re-watch it. I wasn't really concentrating the first time round. It was stunning to look at though.

I was really scarred by a bloke cutting another man's face open with a bottle though. :(

More a case of smashing his face in. Even more disturbing when you consider that sort of thing happened regularly.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly not. It was a pro fascist wankfest with the bloke getting killed in the end to make it alright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Certainly not. It was a pro fascist wankfest with the bloke getting killed in the end to make it alright.

That's nowhere close to being accurate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »

How on earth was it pro-fascist? The most sympathetic characters in the film, apart from Ofelia, are Mercedes, the doctor, and the rebels in the hills - all of whom are fighting against the fascists!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, now that I think about it, it's pretty clear that Ofelia's entire quest is decidedly anti-fascist. All three of her missions include blindly following orders without thinking for herself. It's only when she is asked to give her brother up that she shows independent thought, and is rewarded as a result. The faun is playing a trick on her to test her character. She only gets allowed into the kingdom when she proves she doesn't have fascist tendencies.

Also, think of the dialogue between the doctor and Vidal just after the doctor gave the injection to the stutterer:
    Vidal: Why did you do it?

Doctor: It was the only thing I could do.

Vidal: No, you could have obeyed me.

Doctor: I could have, but I didn't.

Vidal: But it would have been better for you... I don't understand, why didn't you obey me?

Doctor: To obey, without thinking, just like that? That's something only people like you can do.

Vidal, the fascist, is portrayed as a mindless drone, completely incapable of understanding why someone would disobey an order. The doctor, in contrast, is a free thinker who would happily disobey an order if it means doing the right thing.

Ofelia, by refusing to hand over her brother proves she is nothing like Vidal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Definitely one of my all time favourite films, but there's still one thing I can never figure out... is the Underground Realm a "reality" or is it all the fantasy of Ofelia's? I guess that's for us to decide?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is up to us to decide, however, the movie takes place in the same universe as The Devil's Backbone which contained elements of the supernatural; so there are reasonable grounds to believe it was more than her imagination.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I belive Del Toro has said you can decide what you want, but when he wrote it he wrote it as if it was all real, not imagined.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think it was real because it is quite an emotional film and to have Ofilia simply get shot "in cold blood" and that was the real end is quite depressing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    I belive Del Toro has said you can decide what you want, but when he wrote it he wrote it as if it was all real, not imagined.

Regards

Mark

In the DVD commentary I think he says something about the scene where she is locked in the bedroom after Vidal gets his face sliced open, and the only way she could get out is by using the chalk. But the film doesn't show her doing that, so for all we know Vidal forgot to lock the door.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A powerful & moving film- but soooooooooo GRIM!!

Find watching it v distressing. Its all about a child suffering...
    :(:(:cry:cry: