The Elephant In The Room.

QueeniejeanQueeniejean Posts: 299
Forum Member
When will the judges stop pussyfooting around Lisas obvious weight problem and start making some of the comments they get away with saying to Dani and vincent about their small size? Isn't anyone going to say the real reason she looked so unweildly attempting the rhumba?
If the judges can see that Dani is small and call her a munchkin etc then how come they don't call Lisa a big dollop of fun.

Comments

• bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with the OP Lisa has no problems with her size why should we?
    Every criticism that was leveled against Michael tonight equally applied to Lisa - yet Michael got a lower score for a routine with far more content.

Lisa has got to take the rough with the smooth & I don't think she would have a problem with that.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because commenting upon weight/large size would be seen as

a) offensive

b) hurtful

And would probably cause a forum meltdown.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's more that some people can't see beyond Lisa's weight than her weight itself being the problem - for me it just didn't seem to come to life, I wasn't getting the sexual tension that should underpin this dance despite the full-on sex faces each pulled at the end :eek:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't need to comment on her big size. Commenting on her insufficient/nonexistent technique would be quite enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The Rumba is a crap dance - even watching the Pros do it makes me cringe.

So LIsa is overweight - so what? At least she has some personality, courage and get up and go which is more than can be said for other slimmer celebrities!
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly because there are many elephants in the room

Lisa weight does not make it easy for her to do dances elegantly

Ditto Dani's short arms and legs, not being short per se but her proportions

Loius needs to perform

Nicky needs to acknowledge Karen' s existence at least once

Victoria is by far the worse dancer left

and by far the biggest : Bruce is embarrassing even Tess now, she did not like that opening grope

oh and a final one do you think all the Monkseal reference were a sort of rebellion on behalf of the judges to acknowledge that agree with him and can't believe they have to come out with the drivel they do?
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »

Loius needs to perform

and by far the biggest : Bruce is embarrassing even Tess now, she did not like that opening grope

oh and a final one do you think all the Monkseal reference were a sort of rebellion on behalf of the judges to acknowledge that agree with him and can't believe they have to come out with the drivel they do?

Well said
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    It isn't her weight that's the problem.

It's that she is heavy-footed and she doesn't complete her lines. Her fingers are also often badly splayed and she is sometimes ahead of the music. She's not very supple and some people don't like her 'fun' persona.

Fat people can dance. And what's she supposed to do? Lose five stone in a week?

Nah.
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are beginning to allude to the issue. Craig (and one other) said, this just isn't your dance or wtte. There is no getting around the fact that her size impacts on the dance no matter how hard she tries, for example I noticed her hands were good, but when she leans back, because of the roundness of her body you just can't see the back arch and the visual line is not good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    When will the judges stop pussyfooting around Lisas obvious weight problem and start making some of the comments they get away with saying to Dani and vincent about their small size? Isn't anyone going to say the real reason she looked so unweildly attempting the rhumba?
    If the judges can see that Dani is small and call her a munchkin etc then how come they don't call Lisa a big dollop of fun.

It's not so much her size - though it must be a bugger trying to do lifts with all that weight - it's that awful gurning at the camera that I find offputting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I don't think Lisa's size is even an issue, so what if she looks awkward doing the slow, sexy dances, she's in it for the fun and challenge more than anything. Having said that though I also think it's unfair for all the judges and presenters to keep going on about Dani and Vincent's smallness - again so what, this is Strictly not the freak shows that are X Factor and BGT.
  • nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Been done a zillion times but Bruce is the elephant in the room, even managed to plummet to new depths of laboured toe curling rubbish last night.

I enjoyed the show though, last thing anyone wants is to see Lisa openly critiscised for her weight, or judges going in for the kill when someone's cocked up and is close to tears, let the scores reflect the performance and no rude comments, no need.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree, Bruce is just getting embarrassing now. Having said that though there was a story in the papers about this may be Bruce's last series - I don't think it will but that's the press for you - and who might take his place and the favourite was Ronnie Corbett! What!!, he'd be worse than Bruce.
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive mentioned this exact thing on another thread. Her weight clearly prevents her from undertaking certain moves. People are happy to throw around insults about other things but 'weight' is NEVER MENTIONED. Whats the problem with saying ' well your weight clearly hindered that performance...'? the judges are ok to slate other contestants body parts!!!!
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's dance was always going to be the one where her weight was going to work against her.

I've seen heavier people than her who were both fast and very light on their feet but the rhumba requires the woman to have flexibility and sinuous body movements/shape.

To be like a well cooked length of wet spaghetti...I'm afraid she was always going to be more a jumbo sausage gone cold on the BBQ
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by coppertop1

Loius needs to perform

I agree with all of this.

I love Lisa but for whatever reason she lacks body flexibility that restricts what she can do. In that last movement where Robin held her leg as they turned round she held her head back but how much nicer that line would have looked had she been able to bend back even a little from the waist. Its unfortunate but she cannot create some of the graceful lines. She (imo) therefor needs to leave them out completely and play to her strengths - which she has plenty of.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think her size or weight should be referred to but I do wish they would forget about that extra mark she seems to get from each judge each week. The "we didn't expect a fat girl to be able to do that" mark.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember them specifically mentioning Russell's size/shape either.

I wonder if the difference between the judges feeling able to mention height but not weight is because there is absolutely nothing a contestant can do to change their height, but there is a perception that weight IS within someone's control. (I should add that I have no idea if this is true of Lisa or whether she has any kind of hormonal/medical condition which affects her weight.) So by commenting on height, they are acknowledging an unalterable fact that may give the contestants an advantage or disadvantage in a particular dance, e.g. the "jive is difficult for tall people" storyline that the show (or Len, at least) has perpetuated. In that example, if a tall couple has done a poor jive it's a kinder way of saying "you were cr@p"; the judges can blame the cr@pness on environmental factors that the couple has no way of overcoming no matter how hard they try and therefore absolve them a little of the responsibility for the rubbish dance.

However, because of the perception I mentioned that "fat = lazy/greedy/no willpower" (again, just to be clear, I don't believe that and am not casting any kind of judgement, but it's a belief I've seen stated or alluded to in many walks of life) then if the judges started making weight-based comments, they could be considered much more personal/critical, with the implication that it's ultimately the contestant's fault they couldn't do X or Y due to their size, because they have "failed" to control their weight. Going back to that perception again, the judges could be seen to be implying "you couldn't do X or Y because you're large/fat/outsize and you're large/fat/outsize because you're greedy/lazy/have no willpower".

I haven't explained it very well so I hope that makes some kind of sense.
  • Jackster31Jackster31 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which ever way you wanna look at it or call it....that Rumba looked horrendous and yes it had a lot to do with not only her body weight, but also the way it is shaped. I mean the woman has no curves and just moved around like a block of concrete. The way Robin 'tried' to dip her was just awkward and almost did his back in:o

Now people can get annoyed or angry with these observations but they are factual and everyone was able to see last night that a person of that size can never make a rumba look sexy and seductive.....for that you need body shapes and curves, where te man can make sensual hand movements and the woman can sway hips expose legs around her partner and so on....
    There was none of that...just a lot of walking around eachother...it looked bad and the judges should've called it.......never in a million years was that worth a 7.......CRH:eek:
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of people (most?) have physical limitations, some less obvious than others. For example, it may be that Victoria's sport (where one leg works harder than the other) does not help her balance. I am a bit round shouldered and my legs turn in slightly and so I do Pilates every day to try and correct.

The point of a critique is to provide someone with constructive feedback of what they can practically do within a given timeframe to improve, not to destroy them. If Lisa wanted a long term career in dancing the advice would be different. As it is, Robin.needs to choreograph steps which play to her strengths. Generally I think he did try and do that in the rumba but she was a bit light footed and rushed.

I've seen some larger ladies dancing rumbas and they have looked great. Btw, a rumba does not have to have a lot of sexual tension. It can be romantic, dreamy etc.
  • WiskasWiskas Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    I don't remember them specifically mentioning Russell's size/shape either.

I wonder if the difference between the judges feeling able to mention height but not weight is because there is absolutely nothing a contestant can do to change their height, but there is a perception that weight IS within someone's control. (I should add that I have no idea if this is true of Lisa or whether she has any kind of hormonal/medical condition which affects her weight.) So by commenting on height, they are acknowledging an unalterable fact that may give the contestants an advantage or disadvantage in a particular dance, e.g. the "jive is difficult for tall people" storyline that the show (or Len, at least) has perpetuated. In that example, if a tall couple has done a poor jive it's a kinder way of saying "you were cr@p"; the judges can blame the cr@pness on environmental factors that the couple has no way of overcoming no matter how hard they try and therefore absolve them a little of the responsibility for the rubbish dance.

However, because of the perception I mentioned that "fat = lazy/greedy/no willpower" (again, just to be clear, I don't believe that and am not casting any kind of judgement, but it's a belief I've seen stated or alluded to in many walks of life) then if the judges started making weight-based comments, they could be considered much more personal/critical, with the implication that it's ultimately the contestant's fault they couldn't do X or Y due to their size, because they have "failed" to control their weight. Going back to that perception again, the judges could be seen to be implying "you couldn't do X or Y because you're large/fat/outsize and you're large/fat/outsize because you're greedy/lazy/have no willpower".

I haven't explained it very well so I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. I am a short fat woman, having previously been a short skinny woman. When I was short and skinny, I was usually called 'dainty', which is a nice term. Now I am no longer dainty and I would be extremely upset if someone referred to my weight. Call me short if you really must, I can cope with that, although I would be tempted to point out that in fact that at 5'3 I am the average height for women in this country. :D

The control thing is a very good point, the general assumption being that women [and it something generally aimed at women] are fat because they stuff their faces and don't know when to stop. I don't eat a great deal - I'm a veggie and eat a lot of fruit & veg, soya, etc. I don't eat fast food of any kind. The problem is that I'm not as mobile as I should be, due to mobility issues following a bad accident, and so my metabolism has slowed right down.

I'm not saying that this is the case with Lisa, or even with every other overweight woman, but weight is a much more emotive issue for most women than height. You never hear of anyone asking if their 'legs look short in this', do you? It's always 'does my bum look big?'
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiskas wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense to me. I am a short fat woman, having previously been a short skinny woman. When I was short and skinny, I was usually called 'dainty', which is a nice term. Now I am no longer dainty and I would be extremely upset if someone referred to my weight. Call me short if you really must, I can cope with that, although I would be tempted to point out that in fact that at 5'3 I am the average height for women in this country. The control thing is a very good point, the general assumption being that women [and it something generally aimed at women] are fat because they stuff their faces and don't know when to stop. I don't eat a great deal - I'm a veggie and eat a lot of fruit & veg, soya, etc. I don't eat fast food of any kind. The problem is that I'm not as mobile as I should be, due to mobility issues following a bad accident, and so my metabolism has slowed right down.

I'm not saying that this is the case with Lisa, or even with every other overweight woman, but weight is a much more emotive issue for most women that height. You never hear of anyone asking if their 'legs look short in this', do you? It's always 'does my bum look big?'

But Lisa is doing it for the big girls, or so she has said on numerous occassions, therefore one would assume that her weight doesn't bother her. Besides who knows how Dani feels about being so short, I know she has made fun of it but then so has Lisa mentioned her weight in a jovial way, so why point out one dancers physicality and not anothers.:confused: Oh and by the way, 5. 3 is certainly not short.:)
  • WiskasWiskas Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Lisa is doing it for the big girls, or so she has said on numerous occassions, therefore one would assume that her weight doesn't bother her. Besides who knows how Dani feels about being so short, I know she has made fun of it but then so has Lisa mentioned her weight in a jovial way, so why point out one dancers physicality and not anothers.:confused: Oh and by the way, 5. 3 is certainly not short.:)

She's certainly not doing it for me. And anyway, who asked her to? Is she going to share her fee with 'the big girls'?

My post wasn't aimed at Lisa, I was trying to explain why weight can be an emotive issue and why it is generally less socially acceptable to refer to weight that height.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiskas wrote: »
    She's certainly not doing it for me. And anyway, who asked her to? Is she going to share her fee with 'the big girls'?

My post wasn't aimed at Lisa, I was trying to explain why weight can be an emotive issue and why it is generally less socially acceptable to refer to weight that height.

Fair enough, but I honestly, think "shortness" or perceived shortness is equally upsetting for a small person and they wouldn't like it pointing out anymore than some fat lass wants her body commented on. My point was why is it ok to mention Danii's short arm and leg extensions and not mention the lovely Lisa's girth. Anyhooo, wasn't a pop at you Wiskas..I'm 5.3 and A HALF myself;)
  • CjwontvCjwontv Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Especially as you cannot do anything about your height, whilst there's a chance of doing something about your weight, even though its much harder than some people think.