Options

Daily Mail story about JNT and Downie sexually exploiting young fans in the 80s

shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Story here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2298399/Doctor-Who-staff-used-positions-sexually-exploit-young-male-fans-1980s.html

Ties in with this thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1803577

No significant implications for the show I suspect. The tone of the comments so far seems to be that it's a non story. Both dead and no one involved wanting to take any action.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    No significant implications for the show I suspect. The tone of the comments so far seems to be that it's a non story. Both dead and no one involved wanting to take any action.

Very much this.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was just coming on here to post this. The media do tend to make a fuss about that kind of thing, but it's the Daily Mail and there's nothing supposed to have happened after 2005 so I'm hopeful it won't cause any problems.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Typical DM but again, it's a non story really and should have no effect on the current production team.
  • Options
    CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am morally against clicking through to that hateful papers website, can anyone pr
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craigpugh wrote: »
    I am morally against clicking through to that hateful papers website, can anyone pr

Well here's the story as reported in the Sunday Times website..not the full story unless you're a subscriber but you get the gist

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Tech/article1234996.ece
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Well here's the story as reported in the Sunday Times website..not the full story unless you're a subscriber but you get the gist

At least the Mail makes it clear in headline that this happened in the 80s. The Sunday Times takes a bit more reading to see that this isn't related to the current show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    At least the Mail makes it clear in headline that this happened in the 80s. The Sunday Times takes a bit more reading to see that this isn't related to the current show.

Daily Mail in Unexpected Accuracy Shock!! :D

Quick, someone phone The Daily Express....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mail in Unexpected Accuracy Shock!! :D

Quick, someone phone The Daily Express....

Ha haa!:D

Not defending the Mail by the way. There's no defence for a paper that runs stories about how awful anorexia is next to stories about how fat female celebs are looking.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM nicked the story from a Guardian book review.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is the story in the Tech section?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope this is as far as the story goes. It is right and proper it is reported but I was worried the anti BBC press would see another big stick to beat the corporation with and that would be horrible in this year of celebration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope this is as far as the story goes. It is right and proper it is reported but I was worried the anti BBC press would see another big stick to beat the corporation with and that would be horrible in this year of celebration.
    Lucky most of the really anti-BBC papers seem to be the ones that print weapons-grade BS anyway! I hope you're right though. :)
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt this story has legs because the people that were allegedly underage were so only because of the legal discrimination between straight and gay acts. None of the allegations appear to involve a child.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Well, they did say there would be an event every week! Last week - producer resigns - public punch up. This week - 80's producers were dodgy.. and as a double bonus - next series is delayed.

An unforgettable anniversary - exactly as promised. ;).

:o. (sorry, just a bit of gallows humour there).

Thank heavens the actual next episode has been reviewed well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    I doubt this story has legs because the people that were allegedly underage were so only because of the legal discrimination between straight and gay acts. None of the allegations appear to involve a child.

^ This.

The allegations don't seem to be about anything which isn't consensual, so anyone commenting it's 'sick' is by proxy saying they disagree with the current homosexual age of consent, and can therefore nob right off!
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    ^ This.

The allegations don't seem to be about anything which isn't consensual, so anyone commenting it's 'sick' is by proxy saying they disagree with the current homosexual age of consent, and can therefore nob right off!

The concern is the extent to which they used their status as keepers of the keys to Who goodies to gain access to and coerce people. Also, in Downie's case the allegations do refer to things that weren't consensual, even if not the sort of thing that those involved feel needs to be investigated as a crime.

We don't know what sort of reaction there would have been had it been men of their age with girl fans (ie a programme that actually had many girl fans in those days) of the same age, but following Savile it may well have been similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    ^ This.

I agree, this pretend outrage is really disguised homophobia

The claims come from a book written by someone who was 17 at the time and went on to fake stuff on Blue Peter.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/interviews/4661-interview-richard-marson-author-of-the-life-and-scandalous-times-of-john-nathan-turner

There's a review of that book here

http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/22/jnt-scandalous-doctor-who-review
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listener55 wrote: »
    I agree, this pretend outrage is really disguised homophobia

The claims come from a book written by someone who was 17 at the time and went on to fake stuff on Blue Peter.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/interviews/4661-interview-richard-marson-author-of-the-life-and-scandalous-times-of-john-nathan-turner

There's a review of that book here

http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/22/jnt-scandalous-doctor-who-review

As you seem to be cojoining the idea of none of these activities being non-consensual with Richard Marson's veracity as an author, are you denying his account of an attempted sexual assault by Gary Downie based on the fact that years later he fixed the naming of the Blue Peter cat?
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Very interesting that the news stories make a point of the age of consent for Gay men, at the time, being 21 - otherwise, all you basically have is a story about TV executives shagging consenting, adult fans.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    listener55 wrote: »

Instead of spluttering out vague accusations, let's get our facts straight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marson#Competition_controversies
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I were Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy I might be a bit annoyed about the Mirror's coverage of this story.

Their front page has a big picture of Colin standing next to JNT and the article itself has a pic of him standing next to Jimmy Saville from the time he appeared on Jim'll Fix It

The article also has a pic of Sylvester standing next to JNT

In both cases the Mirror says in small writing that Colin and Sylvester are not involved in the claims but weak-minded tabloid readers could easily ignore that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Instead of spluttering out vague accusations, let's get our facts straight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marson#Competition_controversies

Nothing vague about it, the 17 bit is from his own book, the Blue Peter fakery scandal is well documented including by the BBC itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you seem to be cojoining the idea of none of these activities being non-consensual with Richard Marson's veracity as an author, are you denying his account of an attempted sexual assault by Gary Downie based on the fact that years later he fixed the naming of the Blue Peter cat?

No I'm not denying his account of anything.
    We all choose how much weight you put on his claims.
    He clearly has a book to sell and has a history with the BBC, which sacked him for vote-rigging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If I were Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy I might be a bit annoyed about the Mirror's coverage of this story.

Their front page has a big picture of Colin standing next to JNT and the article itself has a pic of him standing next to Jimmy Saville from the time he appeared on Jim'll Fix It

The article also has a pic of Sylvester standing next to JNT

In both cases the Mirror says in small writing that Colin and Sylvester are not involved in the claims but weak-minded tabloid readers could easily ignore that
    It's probably deliberate. Remember all the made-up controversial articles every time there's a historical episode? They do it with most live comedy shows as well.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Me and a friend went on a coach to the seaside when I was a kid and there were a couple of blokes in the seat in front, talking to us all through the trip and when we got to the seaside they asked if we'd hang out with them and we said no and a year later they were arrested, it turned out they were a paedophile couple who preyed on young boys, so these gay couples who prey on young boys do exist and it must be much more common than with straight couples because the woman, unless she's really messed up, would in 99.99% of cases be against that sort of thing.