Options

Christianity declining 50% faster than thought

Comments

• Options
    copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flicking through Sky and got to the religious channels...... do these people really believe this crap..... some bloke bouncing around a stage screaming 'praizzzze jeeezzzzus' and touching people who then drop down twitching on the floor.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Has the 'Dawkins/Hitchens/Dennett/Harris/Myers New Atheism' thing died down a bit now? I don't see as many people popping up in the YouTube comments section to chastise anyone for saying things like 'God loves you' or 'I'll pray for you'. Some but not the massive wave from 3 or 4 years ago.

I think that could take a bit of credit for people calling themselves atheists instead of 'I was christened so I'll just put Christian on the form'. I think Dawkins had a bit of a campaign going before the last census.

I remember doing one of these courses that the job centre send you on after 6 months on the dole and the lady sat next to me was getting some help filling out an application form, one of the questions was about the person's religious identification and the lady helping the job seeker said "we'll put Christian" without actually asking the job seeker if she identified as Christian or not.

I think a number of people say they're Christians without actually believing in God because it's the state religion. I was christened, even though dad is a straight atheist and mum is agnostic, I don't think my younger brother was though.

I do think as the world gets smaller - Internet, multi-cultural -different faiths will spring up everywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Would you have no RE lessons or just God bashing sessions?

Best of luck with that in Faith schools
    Why can't you believe what you witnessed yourself ?

If someone was to say and they have 'I can't believe Mick Philpott didn't think he'd kill / seriously hurt his 6 children by starting a fire using petrol' you wouldn't give the response you just did.

A bit silly for you.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the article itself justifies the title.

The drop in Christians over the decade up to the 2011 census was 10%.

If you subtract Christian immigrants during that decade, then the fall is 15%.

It's simply a change in the population you're using.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    copthis1 wrote: »
    Just flicking through Sky and got to the religious channels...... do these people really believe this crap..... some bloke bouncing around a stage screaming 'praizzzze jeeezzzzus' and touching people who then drop down twitching on the floor.

Why were they twitching on the floor? What's supposed to be happening to them? :confused:
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Christianity is on it's way out. Very good.

Islam next please.

Then Scientology.

Keep the Jedi's though.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    So Christianity is on it's way out. Very good.

Islam next please.

Then Scientology.

Keep the Jedi's though.

Actually, world wide, Christianty is booming. Sorry to disappoint.
  • Options
    psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every Christian's a "born again" Christian. There's no such thing as someone who's "Always been" a Christian.

I was always under the impression that a born again Christian is one who has followed the teaching of Jesus to 'repent and be baptised' ie not christened as a child but believers' baptism, as an adult or young adult.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Probably has a lot to do with churchgoing being a more popular past time amongst the older generation and as they die out..
    I don't know of anyone under the age of seventy that goes to church, not to say that young people don't of course but not in great numbers.

You would be surprised actually. A lot of younger people go to Church. I am getting married next in a Church and I am having to go regularly (I go every week because if I miss one I am likely to get into the habit of missing them) and I see people of all ages there many with young children. It actually quite popular not just with the over 70's. I do know that a lot of people go to Church because the Church Schools are so good and they as regular Church goers get preference when it comes to getting their children in them but they have to go for at least 2 years., same with getting married there you need to be a regular attendee.
  • Options
    Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christianity declining 50% faster than thought

Who gives a s**t!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, world wide, Christianty is booming. Sorry to disappoint.

Really?

Any source for this?
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22426144
    http://www.eauk.org/church/church-of-england-attendance-figures-stabilise.cfm

"Twenty out of the Church of England's 44 regional areas saw growth in church attendance, and nationally the number of children and young people attending rose by 1.2 per cent to 216,928."

Stats for the CofE only. News of its demise is exagerated.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

Any source for this?

I'll get some for you. Hold that thought.

But in places like Africa and India it's booming.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Education.
    Not true, but it made me smile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22426144
    http://www.eauk.org/church/church-of-england-attendance-figures-stabilise.cfm

"Twenty out of the Church of England's 44 regional areas saw growth in church attendance, and nationally the number of children and young people attending rose by 1.2 per cent to 216,928."

Stats for the CofE only. News of its demise is exagerated.

Church attendances don't really equate to new Christians joining the fold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Church attendances don't really equate to new Christians joining the fold.

How doesn't it. 22 regions saw growth in church attendance which must equate to new Christians surely?

Also, although Christianity has declined in the west there has been an increase elsewhere.

http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Global-Christianity-exec.aspx

I wouldn't count as out yet.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    All religions need to decline. Then the world can finally progress to something better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All religions need to decline. Then the world can finally progress to something better.

How do you account for North Korea?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member

They are religious, but instead of worshipping deities, they simply substitute deities with dictators. The same applies to other supposedly atheist regimes like Stalin's USSR
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And almost one in 10 under 25s in Britain is now a Muslim.

A fact that makes my blood run cold.

This thread has gotten me up off my lardy arse to renew my lapsed membership of the NSS.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen "Christians" post anti gay comments, attacking gay people as unnatural, deviant, paedophiles and making comments about "gaystapo" and "pink mafia" I genuinely feel like i couldn't care if it died out. I know it's not all Christians but the stuff I have read this week and the people I have argued with have been so full on and deluded it's astounding. Apparently wanting equal marriage and equality is actually wanting more rights than everyone else. Apparently we won't stop until we have control.
    I've read how gay people have spread AIDs across Africa, how we seduce young children and get them to join our "cult" and even how the sex that we do have is not actually sex (they prefer the term buggery). These are all self confessed Christians

What I find interesting is that Religion causes a lot of conflict. look at the crusades for example or how many religions when you get to the root of things, attack each other.

Sometimes I feel like the world would be a better place without religion. I don't know many people who go to Church now. Most people that did go (myself included) feel that they have lost any connection they had. I's out dated. It preaches love, acceptance and tolerance but at the same time, those that teach that spread hate, intolerance and they don't accept anyone's views unless a book told them.

I don't mean to insult people who do go to church and do try and live a good life but the extremists do seem to tarnish religion.
    Rant over... Still seething from what I had read. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are religious, but instead of worshipping deities, they simply substitute deities with dictators. The same applies to other supposedly atheist regimes like Stalin's USSR

So would the world be a better place without religion or would there be another form of substitution? The point being that religion in the world is evolving. There will always be dictators or the power hungry and greedy.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    If someone was to say and they have 'I can't believe Mick Philpott didn't think he'd kill / seriously hurt his 6 children by starting a fire using petrol' you wouldn't give the response you just did.
    That is true
    A bit silly for you.
    Not really. I suggest that you read the post that I quoted from again. The poster was there when the teacher said it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Britain has been at its safest, healthiest, least sexist, least homophobic and generally most moral ( more human rights than most countries and better animal welfare than most countries ) since we abandoned religious extremism of any kind. I'm not saying atheism has been the cause of ALL of that but it's certainly helped, much of it via science or new prospectives on life.

The situation in Ireland between Catholics and Protestants for many years isn't a good example of a country that takes religion seriously, neither are some Islamic countries.