Options

Will Iphone 6 finally bring down Android?

Comments

• Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bigger screen or not I for one will still not get one and all them people who have moved from iPhone to htc/samsung on 2 year contracts likely won't get a 6
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a software point of view I much prefer Android over IOS and from a hardware view I prefer my HTC One M8 over my old IPhone 4s. Many people prefer IOS because it so user friendly and straight forward. Apple controls everything and its easy that way. Android users tend to have a deeper appetite and like to have more autonomy over how they do things and what they do. If anything IOS/Apple will get more competition should Windows phones ever draw level.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    From a software point of view I much prefer Android over IOS and from a hardware view I prefer my HTC One M8 over my old IPhone 4s. Many people prefer IOS because it so user friendly and straight forward. Apple controls everything and its easy that way. Android users tend to have a deeper appetite and like to have more autonomy over how they do things and what they do. If anything IOS/Apple will get more competition should Windows phones ever draw level.

I would disagree with this generalisation. The suggestion that Android users tend to be so because they like a phone they can tinker with and customise. These are things tech geeks think are important, but to assume their preferences and motivations must be shared by 'normal' folk is, I believe, presumptuous. I would suggest only a tiny minority of users ever consider these things in their buying decisions. The majority who use Android, have it for no other reason than that’s what the phone they got came with. And they will tinker with and customise it no more than if they had an iPhone instead, i.e. barely at all, if ever.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    I would disagree with this generalisation. The suggestion that Android users tend to be so because they like a phone they can tinker with and customise. These are things tech geeks think are important, but to assume their preferences and motivations must be shared by 'normal' folk is, I believe, presumptuous. I would suggest only a tiny minority of users ever consider these things in their buying decisions. The majority who use Android, have it for no other reason than that’s what the phone they got came with. And they will tinker with and customise it no more than if they had an iPhone instead, i.e. barely at all, if ever.

Well in fact, they will since you can't customise an iphone at all!! Oh i forgot, you can change the wallpaper :D

Everyone i know with an Android phone has their own style with it. They all look completely different.

Everyone i know with an iphone, well they all look completely identical. That's what i don't like about the iphone. I cant have it the way i want. It has to be exactly the same as everyone else's.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the iPhone 6 bring down Android? I wouldn't want it to, when I go from my Android 4.3 phone to iOS7.1 it's like going from a sophisticated OS to a kiddies OS. If people want the closed wall of Apple's OS, and the minimal feel of it, then fair enough, but I don't think that an Apple phone, with a version of iOS on it, and at the price they are released at will bring down Android's dominance.

It's great that we have phones with different Operating Systems on them, from iOS, Android, WIndows, FIrefox etc, there's something for everyone. iOS doesn't suit me, I genuinely like doing things with it that you can't do with iOS like downloading torrents, customising the interface and dragging and dropping files on and off the phone without using iTunes!

:) Mark
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps your right. I was making the generalisation just based on family,friends and work colleagues who all have IPhones and dismiss Android as inferior. They all have little tech knowledge [actually same as me] but still in their ignorance bash Android and just blindly stick with Apple. I've just switched and you should hear the hassle I have had from the Apple brigade;-)
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A single iPhone model can in no way bring down an entire opposition operating system.

Android phones are much cheaper & there are a multitude of handsets you can choose from.

What options do you have on iOS if you don't like a version of the iPhone?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would agree completely with that.

Its probably fair to say that people who want to customise stuff more will go for Android over iOS.

But its probably not true to say that Android has the market share it has because Android users in general prefer to customise stuff more.

I would have thought the main reason for Android's market share is that its available on a much wider range of devices at a much wider range of prices.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Steve Jobs said this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15400984

Under Jobs they never moved off screen sizes like 3.5" which is perfectly good in my opinion anyway but there is a market demand for larger displays and the Iphone 5 and 5S being 4" still pull this off without being too big.

But anyway with Iphone 6 rumoured to have things like health book apps like the new Galaxy, two larger models 4.7" and 5.5", most likely NFC, A8 chip, improved camera optics (though I don't expect them to go overboard with pixels to sell this new device), maybe 4K video? Plus IOS8 which with the last redesign offers much of the advances which Android brought in I wonder if Apple will finally start to covert many Android users?

This fall I'd expect a line up of:

Iphone 5C replacing the Iphone 4S on a low price £15-18 tariff.
    Iphone 5S talk is this will stay around maybe at the 5C current price of £29 per month?
    Iphone 6 4.7" probably £38 pounds.
    Iphone 6 5.5" this will probably be atleast £45 per month making it a premium.

No doubt the prices will be high but clearly the Iphone 6 would be there to compete with the Galaxy S5. The 5C will really come to the game since it will probably be offered at a much lower price. Flooding the market with options is something Samsung are good at and looks like Apple will be set to do the same. There all going to be amazing Iphones if that's the line up and for once Android users won't be able to grumble about the screen sizes on Iphones and so on. Surely even the most pro Android fans will be tempted by a 5.5" Iphone 6?

Bring down android ?

Apple outstrips store revenue via iTunes compared to play and certainly sells a lot of iPhones !
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree. I have a N4 at the moment. Got it because of cost.

But I also find more people moan and criticise there Android handset than Apples. Look at customer satisfaction for example.

I think that's also some of Googles downfall. They are "tech guy" focused instead of "user" focused. They have only started to realise this in KitKat and possibly JellyBean.

For example Chromecast gets released over here in a 50hz market but only has 60hz support !!!! = juddery videos !. Functionality is limited and a bit of a faff. Google products like Chrome on iOS can cast, Android cant ! wtf?

It delivers partially instead of successfully.
    I seem to get this feeling from Google. Glass is the same, delayed, half baked ideas.

In terms of Vanilla Android and iOS, both platforms offer virtually the same thing. However the iPhone is a safe all round working, well built phone like a lot of apples products.

In all honesty if apple do release a big screen phone I would 100% move over. I find the current crop of iPhones dated looking and cloned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    I agree. I have a N4 at the moment. Got it because of cost.

But I also find more people moan and criticise there Android handset than Apples. Look at customer satisfaction for example.

I think that's also some of Googles downfall. They are "tech guy" focused instead of "user" focused. They have only started to realise this in KitKat and possibly JellyBean.

For example Chromecast gets released over here in a 50hz market but only has 60hz support !!!! = juddery videos !. Functionality is limited and a bit of a faff. Google products like Chrome on iOS can cast, Android cant ! wtf?

It delivers partially instead of successfully.
    I seem to get this feeling from Google. Glass is the same, delayed, half baked ideas.

In terms of Vanilla Android and iOS, both platforms offer virtually the same thing. However the iPhone is a safe all round working, well built phone like a lot of apples products.

In all honesty if apple do release a big screen phone I would 100% move over. I find the current crop of iPhones dated looking and cloned.

I had issues with both my iphone and ipad 2. I have also had issues with some Android phones. Nothing is perfect, and you putting Apple on a pedestal it does not deserve is making you look very foolish and childish.

You say you got the N4 because of cost which makes no sense. Why didnt you buy an iphone 4 or 4S? They are cheap as chips....Or a second hand iphone 5 whch are also cheap.

As for the Chromecast, I have 2 Chromecast's and none are juddery whatsoever. I dont see what is a faf about opening netflix and pressing 1 icon to cast it to the telly.

Can you can tell me what this faf is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bring down android ?

Apple outstrips store revenue via iTunes compared to play and certainly sells a lot of iPhones !

Yes they sell a lot of iphones but, Android sells more. Android have a bigger marketshare.

Not sure what your point here is to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yes they sell a lot of iphones but, Android sells more. Android have a bigger marketshare.

Not sure what your point here is to be honest.

Nope. Android sells more because its the number if phones available. However the iPhone sells more than any individual flagship android phone.

How many of those android phones are actually used?.. iPhone users call and use more data, they are more active.
    How many belong to old people or people who just text and make a odd call?

How many people are happy? .. More iPhone users are satisfied with there phones.

As for Chromecast the 60hz issue is already documented as a flaw online. Some TVs have frame correction on by default that can help the issue, others Like LCD/led cover up the judder because of poor response time compared to plasma etc.

When I compare iPlayer on my smart TV with Chromecast on the same screen, judder is clearly visible on Chromecast. The image panning and motion is no way near as smooth.
    This is because uk video is set for 50hz and extra frames have to be created.
    Total joke for a TV media device to do this. Even Microsoft fixed the same issue with the Xbox one.

The faff comes in the from of no easy ability to stream basic things like pictures or videos from your phone to a TV. Half of the stuff on a android phone has no cast ability. 3rd party apps are required. A total hassle compared to rokyu or airplay.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=late8;72290344
    How many people are happy? .. More iPhone users are satisfied with there phones.
    [/QUOTE]

And how do you know that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope. Android sells more because its the number if phones available. However the iPhone sells more than any individual flagship android phone.

I said Android phone sell more and have a bigger marketshare. That's fact.

How many of those android phones are actually used?.. iPhone users call and use more data, they are more active.
    How many belong to old people or people who just text and make a odd call?

You don't half talk a lot of utter waffle.

More active? How many Android phones are in use? Come on now!!
    As for Chromecast the 60hz issue is already documented as a flaw online. Some TVs have frame correction on by default that can help the issue, others Like LCD/led cover up the judder because of poor response time compared to plasma etc.

WHAT?!!!! :D Poor response times? Hahaha!! :D

I have a plasma and its perfectly fine. No judder. I think you have a crap telly if that's happening.
    When I compare iPlayer on my smart TV with Chromecast on the same screen, judder is clearly visible on Chromecast. The image panning and motion is no way near as smooth.

Its perfectly smooth on both my plasma and LCD.
    This is because uk video is set for 50hz and extra frames have to be created.
    Total joke for a TV media device to do this. Even Microsoft fixed the same issue with the Xbox one.

And how long did it take MS to fix that so called issue? Chromecast has been out here barely a month. Give them a chance!!
    The faff comes in the from of no easy ability to stream basic things like pictures or videos from your phone to a TV. Half of the stuff on a android phone has no cast ability. 3rd party apps are required. A total hassle compared to rokyu or airplay.

See this is your problem right there.

It was NEVER advertised as being able to do that nor is that it's use. It's like expecting a toaster to microwave your soup...Pretty stupid isn't it?

Its use is for things like Netflix, youtube etc. Not for streaming local files. However that will and is being added. There are reports of casting the entire Android screen to the Chromecast via settings > Display > Cast screen. Some seem to have it, some don't which is a clue to it's eventual rollout.

You also forget this thing is £30!! Do you expect a £30 device to do everything? The roku and airplay devices are £80 - £100+ and are also hobbled in one way or another.

I had a roku and sent it back as it was rubbish. I have a Now TV box with Plex added and that's been shoved aside for the Chromecast which does everything i want it to. Oddly enough for streaming pics etc i use Plex which is perfectly easy to do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

He doesn't.

Recently, he has become one of those weird apple fanboys who doesn't actually own nor probably ever tried anything apple yet thinks they are the best.

Very odd behaviour to be honest!!
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't half talk a lot of utter waffle.

More active? How many Android phones are in use? Come on now!!

WHAT?!!!! :D Poor response times? Hahaha!! :D

I have a plasma and its perfectly fine. No judder. I think you have a crap telly if that's happening.

Its perfectly smooth on both my plasma and LCD.

And how long did it take MS to fix that so called issue? Chromecast has been out here barely a month. Give them a chance!!

See this is your problem right there.

It was NEVER advertised as being able to do that nor is that it's use. It's like expecting a toaster to microwave your soup...Pretty stupid isn't it?

Its use is for things like Netflix, youtube etc. Not for streaming local files. However that will and is being added. There are reports of casting the entire Android screen to the Chromecast via settings > Display > Cast screen. Some seem to have it, some don't which is a clue to it's eventual rollout.

You also forget this thing is £30!! Do you expect a £30 device to do everything? The roku and airplay devices are £80 - £100+ and are also hobbled in one way or another.

I had a roku and sent it back as it was rubbish. I have a Now TV box with Plex added and that's been shoved aside for the Chromecast which does everything i want it to. Oddly enough for streaming pics etc i use Plex which is perfectly easy to do!

All he needs to do is download an app called Allcast which allows you to cast local media (pics, videos) to your TV via the chromecast.

I've also never experienced any of this juddering.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't honestly be surprised if the new iPhones weren't called 6. But iPhone Air [4.7"] and iPhone Pro [5.5"] it has started to happen with iPads. imagine they will call the iPad 12 inch the Pro to bring everything in line with each other. iOS will never beat android in terms of market share but could the new iPhones beat Samsung S5 or HTC One M8 in terms of sales now that is a possibility. I see the argument between customisation and not customisation for that those people they need to be on Android. But for a lot of people myself included we want a reliable device that has a great package the screen size is increase will for me make me seriously consider the next iPhone. Honestly for me I'm going be looking for the rumoured Sapphire screens, iOS payment system [Using Touch ID] maybe LTE-Advanced support and Optical Image Stabilization [Perhaps Pro Grade Glass as well]. Honestly rest of stuff is in iOS and Android that most people require on a device I can do everything I need on both OS neither is a major hamper for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you can't see frame rate conversion from the Chromecast then actually your TV us covering it up be it crap TV or frame correction is being used. Or unobservant.

To deny it is denying mathematics. Chromecast is not as smooth playing because if 50-60hz conversion.

Go online and have a look.

US users also get this conversion issue when watching UK video material.

I have a Panasonic GT60 plasma which is no way near a crap TV.
    IFC helps but introduces soap opera effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

Been known for a long time.

Look online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He doesn't.

Recently, he has become one of those weird apple fanboys who doesn't actually own nor probably ever tried anything apple yet thinks they are the best.

Very odd behaviour to be honest!!

Own a iPad and Mac book pro,nexus 4, windows 8 laptop.

So...

Basically from using Google stuff, some of it is the most fragmented and half baked development. Its not bad, but Apple at least provide as much as possible for your experience to be easy. At a price.
    Air play???- miles more convenient than Chromecast.

Google on the other hand requires more effort. Downloading 3rd party stuff, partially functional products like Chromecast and Glass.

Why people can't see the best in all I just don't know. Those who flatly deny anything apple obviously haven't used or had there ecosystem.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So...

Basically from using Google stuff, some of it is the most fragmented and half baked development. Its not bad, but Apple at least provide as much as possible for your experience to be easy. At a price.

Google on the other hand requires more effort. Downloading 3rd party stuff, partially functional products like Chromecast and Glass.

Why people can't see the best in all I just don't know. Those who flatly deny anything apple obviously haven't used or had there ecosystem.

Google are working on stopping that fragmentation by making Android more streamlined obviously it is going to take time. Not sure what you mean by half baked development it has progressed along like iOS has. Agree with you Apple is like Shure you get a reliable high quality device for your money. Think you forget Air Play has had a lot more time to be developed than ChromeCast and it was buggy at the start as well.

Android Doesn't require more effort I find it offers you more choice to do things you want I agree on that and sometimes some ways are better than other ways. Going have explain to me what you mean about Glass as from what I've heard main problem that has is getting it accepted to be used in public.

Apple I agree with you does have the better ecosystem but that is partially down to fact they have fewer devices to support. Specially in terms of Alarm Clocks or Sound system built in docks.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So...

You are still missing the point. The CC is £30 for goodness sake. How much is an Airplay device? £100+ and still hobbled to death....

Sorry, you don't see why people don't see the best in everything? That's a classic from you who is salating Android in every post, now slating a £30 device which is, i think everyone will agree, a fantastic device for £30. You are brilliant!! :D

Oh i have used the apple ecosystem and i didn't find it the best. Not even close. No system is the best.

I don't believe for one second you have a macbook and an ipad, then go on to say you got the Nexus 4 because of cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Google are working on stopping that fragmentation by making Android more streamlined obviously it is going to take time. Not sure what you mean by half baked development it has progressed along like iOS has. Agree with you Apple is like Shure you get a reliable high quality device for your money. Think you forget Air Play has had a lot more time to be developed than ChromeCast and it was buggy at the start as well.

Android Doesn't require more effort I find it offers you more choice to do things you want I agree on that and sometimes some ways are better than other ways. Going have explain to me what you mean about Glass as from what I've heard main problem that has is getting it accepted to be used in public.

Apple I agree with you does have the better ecosystem but that is partially down to fact they have fewer devices to support. Specially in terms of Alarm Clocks or Sound system built in docks.

It's because there isn't a problem with Glass. Just like there is no problem with Chromecast. It's another thing he like most have not tried. The tech in that thing and what it can do is superb. It doesn't have a half eaten apple on it, so he thinks it's rubbish.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    ...Android users tend to have a deeper appetite and like to have more autonomy over how they do things ...

It ain't autonomy when its an all or nothing choice.
    As to 'deeper appetite', mine is very small even when widened by choosing Android.