Social Racism

Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The widespread use of the "chav" stereotype has come in for some criticism. Some argue that it amounts to simple snobbery and elitism, and that serious social problems such as anti-social behaviour, teenage pregnancy, delinquency and underage drinking in low-income areas are not subjects for derision. Critics of the term have argued that its users are "neo-snobs" and that its increasing popularity raises questions about how British society deals with social mobility and class. In a February 2005 article in The Times, Julie Burchill argued that use of the word is a form of "social racism", and that such "sneering" reveals more about the shortcomings of the "chav-haters" than those of their supposed victims.The writer John Harris argued along similar lines in a 2007 article in The Guardian.

Who does this remind me of? :confused:

Comments

• eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But interestingly one of the most hated figures on the show is a firmly middle-class girl.

Lets face it, its human nature to have a go at other-- categories just help you quickly skip to a standard set of insults---saves everybody a lot of time :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    social racism, along with authentic racism & real racism can **** off!
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying someone has no class and will always be a chav, is nothing other than snobbery. What you are saying is that they will never be on your level and must remain as some sort of untouchable pariah.
  • lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    How is it RACE-ism?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovecat86 wrote: »
    How is it RACE-ism?

Insulting and degrading a social group is on the same scale as a nationality. Racism isn't just about appearance.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    Insulting and degrading a social group is on the same scale as a nationality.

Even if it was how is nationality the same as race.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insulting and degrading a social group is on the same scale as a nationality. Racism isn't just about appearance.

No but the key part in racism is the "race" bit.

This would be social prejudice, class-ism possibly but its an entirely different thing to race-ism.

Class, and race are entirely different sociological terms. One reffering to for example economic/employment and so on the other to a percieved "biological" difference between people from different parts of the world.

Most modern social theorists wont use the term "race" now in this sort of disscussion, it would generally be "ethnicity" which is a slightly different and more easy to define thing.

I think you need to do a bit of googling and understand the terms you are throwing around. Racial disctrimination, xenophobia and class discrimination are entirely different things, you can't just lump it all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neel wrote: »
    No but the key part in racism is the "race" bit.

This would be social prejudice, class-ism possibly but its an entirely different thing to race-ism.

Class, and race are entirely different sociological terms. One reffering to for example economic/employment and so on the other to a percieved "biological" difference between people from different parts of the world.

Most modern social theorists wont use the term "race" now in this sort of disscussion, it would generally be "ethnicity" which is a slightly different and more easy to define thing.

I think you need to do a bit of googling and understand the terms you are throwing around. Racial disctrimination, xenophobia and class discrimination are entirely different things, you can't just lump it all together.

I know exactly what they mean.
    It was actually the journalist who termed it 'social racism' and I get increasing uncomfortable at how regularly people are showing elements of it on here.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    It was actually the journalist who termed this social racism.

Why make up this dumb term where a perfectly adequate one already exists.

Also, Julie Burchill is an annoying attention seeker. The only vague decent things she ever wrote was Sugar Rush and even that was a good idea badly written which thankfully was rescued by some brillant tv writers. Julie Burchill has said this stuff before about chavs, whats new? Is she bored and looking for some attention again?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calling this a form of racism insinuates that the term 'chav' has black cultural connotations and this is not entirely honest.

Plenty of 'chavs' listen to 'townie' dance music and play on PS3s and XBoxes etc, which do not originate from black culture.

I use the term 'chav' quite freely to describe the kind of person whose lifestyle is one I personally cannot abide. Is this a form of snobbery? It is a rejection of these people, so perhaps it is.

And sorry to be dogmatic, but this is really a political thread and not about XF at all. It should be moved to 'Politics'.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sums up X-Factor fanatics I'm afraid
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

A chav is how people act and what people do - they are hardly a social group.

It generally means ignorant ill educated people who have no respect for others and commit anti social behaviour.

Problem is in this country we celebrate the ignorant and condemn the intelligent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it is about race.
  • tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know exactly what they mean.
    It was actually the journalist who termed it 'social racism' and I get increasing uncomfortable at how regularly people are showing elements of it on here.

I would use the term "classism" myself but otherwise I agree with your point.

I'm British but work in the US and it's occurred to me that one reason Cheryl might find a role on the X Factor here appealing is that she wouldn't get any stick about her origins. There's much about the UK that I prefer to the States. But I stop feeling so homesick when I think about the level of snobbery back home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    People feel at ease with calling people "toffs", what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

BTW Burchill isn't a journalist, she is a "columnist", who tries to épater la bourgeoisie to seek attention.
  • TarlonTarlon Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    People feel at ease with calling people "toffs", what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

BTW Burchill isn't a journalist, she is a "columnist", who tries to épater la bourgeoisie to seek attention.

Even a columnist has to base their piece on an opinion based on events so it is still classed as journalism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Political correctness has gone mad in my opinion but I don't like being mean to certain groups of people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may not be social racism but it shows how important class still is in our society.

We have had threads attacking one contestant for the accident of birth of being born to a working class and possibly Romany family.
    We have had threads attacking another contestant for 'pretending' to be working class whilst actually being anything from middle class to a 'toff' because he was privately educated and went to university.
    We have had threads attacking a judge for getting above herself because he is nothing but a working class girl from a council estate in the north east without much education.

Is any of this actually relevant to the roles they have in the X Factor? And if it is, why does it only apply to certain contestants and not others?
  • JaggedcatJaggedcat Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we should remove labels like sexism, racism etc and make all bullying illegal.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    A chav is how people act and what people do - they are hardly a social group.

It generally means ignorant ill educated people who have no respect for others and commit anti social behaviour.

Problem is in this country we celebrate the ignorant and condemn the intelligent.

I agree with you.

IMO, a 'chav' is about how someone behaves and their attitude to others. It has nothing to do with their background or income level and everything to do with standards of behaviour.