Options

ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv4 had 3m viewers at 20.30 on Thursday night. This was its highest ever audience. Stat courtesy of tv scoops on twitter.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Still think Piers Morgan shoudlve got 3-4million against Comic Relief.

Also I havent mentioned on here but Big Reuinon on Thursday got only 0.6million, which is about half of what episodes 1 and 2 got. So lots of viewers have deserted the show recently. Itv are trying to flog this format in Mipcom next month but I doubt they'll have much interest after the way ratings have fallen for it in the last month.

Life Stories is usually repeated during the following week. That and its availablity on catch-up would have dented its performance against Comic Relief.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv are still shedding loads of viewers. Look at this graph from [url]www.BARB.co.uk:[/url] http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/trend-graph-channel-viewing-share?data_series[]=1&data_series[]=2&data_series[]=4&data_series[]=5&data_series[]=56&data_series[]=181&data_series[]=54&period_start=03-03-2001&period_end=03-03-2013&button_submit=View+graph

The gap between BBC1 and Itv1 has never been so big in favour of the BBC before as it is currently.

I think the big two are in a slow decline anyway as viewers have so much choice now, but I think ITV seems to have levelled out its decline after a ghastly period between 2002 and 2009. Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of appalling trash made by ITV, but it is after all a business in a cut throat market and has to show some rubbish to survive and save money. Also this was always the case with ITV even in the good old days, at least nowadays viewers are spared Aussie soaps, TV movies no one had heard of and endless episodes of the Equalizer to fill the gaps in the schedules.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I'll be inspecting todays Itv's all day share very closely when released tomorrow. It will take a battering due to BBC showing so much top notch rugby, including the title decider. I bet Itv wishes they had as much non-football sport as the BBC do, especially the Six Nations which gets great ratings. Todays game between Wales and England probably peaked with 8-9million!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be inspecting todays Itv's all day share very closely when released tomorrow!

Italy/ Ireland won't get above 4m, neither will France/ Scotland.

Wales/ England depends on how many of the notoriously sulky English stay with the game to the end. I suspect the wont stay for the post match presentations and post mortem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Itv4 had 3m viewers at 20.30 on Thursday night. This was its highest ever audience. Stat courtesy of tv scoops on twitter.
    Love the fact that George you are now spelling Itv like that :)
    Italy/ Ireland won't get above 4m, neither will France/ Scotland.

Wales/ England depends on how many of the notoriously sulky English stay with the game to the end. I suspect the wont stay for the post match presentations and post mortem.
    I think BBC1 share will be 26pct for today, probably double Itv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the fact that George you are now spelling Itv like that :)

I think BBC1 share will be 26pct for today, probably double Itv.

My ipad is awful for predictive spelling. 26% should be the bare minimum for a £10m schedule.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be inspecting todays Itv's all day share very closely when released tomorrow. It will take a battering due to BBC showing so much top notch rugby, including the title decider. I bet Itv wishes they had as much non-football sport as the BBC do, especially the Six Nations which gets great ratings. Todays game between Wales and England probably peaked with 8-9million!

ITV have exclusive rights to the Rugby World Cup, which is in England in 2015, so there should be some nice peak time audiences there.

They also have the Tour de France and French Open Tennis this year, both with significant British interest.

Today's main interest for ITV will be whether SNT holds up against Pointless, the pre-7pm schedule doesn't bring in much ad revenue anyway.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just for the sake of discussion, which channels did it beat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I cant understand why Itv are dedicating two hours of tomorrows primetime schedule to a documentary about the Queen. Half an hour or one hour would be fine, but two whole hours?? The last time they showed a documentary about the Queen was The Queen and I which only got 3million last year around the time of the Jubilee and the Queens Horses Pageant only got 3.4million. This wont rate much better because people have already seen dozens of documentaries about the Queen before, so nothing new about her will be learnt by this. Good news for BBCs drama production tomorrow which goes up against it, fairly easy competition for the drama so will end up rating well. Not sure what Itv are thinking, a far cry from the days of 20years ago when they would dominate Sunday nights with popular mainstream drama every week all year round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    just for the sake of discussion, which channels did it beat?

Everyone except BBC1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant understand why Itv are dedicating two hours of tomorrows primetime schedule to a documentary about the Queen. Half an hour or one hour would be fine, but two whole hours?? The last time they showed a documentary about the Queen was The Queen and I which only got 3million last year around the time of the Jubilee and the Queens Horses Pageant only got 3.4million. This wont rate much better because people have already seen dozens of documentaries about the Queen before, so nothing new about her will be learnt by this. Good news for BBCs drama production tomorrow which goes up against it, fairly easy competition for the drama so will end up rating well. Not sure what Itv are thinking, a far cry from the days of 20years ago when they would dominate Sunday nights with popular mainstream drama every week all year round.

Because its a major behind the scenes piece on the woman herself, not her horses or her staff and in laws
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2012 was a very special year for the bbc so an unfair comparison and broadcasters know this. Also charity specials tend to rate well and other channels know this weaker programmes scheduled aginst this because they knw the ycant win. in terms of the queen attempt to cash in on jubileee up against remake of hitchcock interesting rating watching ahead no doubt even if samuel goes in with ridiculously severely skewed take on the bbc being the best thing since sliced bread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Ross admits his guests arent as good as Graham Norton's and blames it on the poor ratings his shows get: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2294598/MoS-Diary-Sofa-Wars-ITV-chat-host-Jonathan-Ross-blames-BBC-rival-graham-Norton-lack-star-guests.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Ross admits his guests arent as good as Graham Norton's and blames it on the poor ratings his shows get: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2294598/MoS-Diary-Sofa-Wars-ITV-chat-host-Jonathan-Ross-blames-BBC-rival-graham-Norton-lack-star-guests.html

Nothing in the article ties back to your comments, so I assume you are just making up stuff again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing in the article ties back to your comments, so I assume you are just making up stuff again
    Jonathan said that the big film stars mostly end up going on Graham Norton's show:
    ‘I think Graham gets first bite of film guests. Some stars prefer his show over mine because they’re less protected on my programme.
    ‘If they go on Graham’s, three guests all sit together on the sofa. He recently had Jude Law on his show, who could hide behind fellow guest Dame Judi Dench. On my programme they can’t do that.

‘I also think Graham gets big stars because his show is broadcast on Friday nights, which is a better night for the film studios to have them on.’

A BBC source said: ‘Jonathan’s questions seem to get more desperate the more he struggles in the ratings. His guests, too, are not on a par with Graham Norton’s.

‘Too often he has people on who share his own agent, Addison Cresswell, the man who also happens to produce The Jonathan Ross Show. It’s all a bit lazy and it shows.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2294598/MoS-Diary-Sofa-Wars-ITV-chat-host-Jonathan-Ross-blames-BBC-rival-graham-Norton-lack-star-guests.html#ixzz2NkihK28w
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your comments that you attributute to Ross come from an unnamed BBC source. Which is probably a fabrication.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No the article clearly states Jonathan Ross said the following: "At the moment it’s tricky. I think Graham gets first bite of film guests. Some stars prefer his show over mine because they’re less protected on my programme."
    -
    He basically is admitting the guests on his shows arent as big as the ones on Graham Norton. This is from Ross himself not the bbc. I feel sorry for Jonathan, he has left the BBC and now basically dying on Itv. Just like 90pct of stars who move from BBC to Itv, his career has gone downhill and show not rating as well as it used to on the bbc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the article clearly states Jonathan Ross said the following: "At the moment it’s tricky. I think Graham gets first bite of film guests. Some stars prefer his show over mine because they’re less protected on my programme."
    -
    He basically is admitting the guests on his shows arent as big as the ones on Graham Norton. This is from Ross himself not the bbc. I feel sorry for Jonathan, he has left the BBC and now basically dying on Itv. Just like 90pct of stars who move from BBC to Itv, his career has gone downhill and show not rating as well as it used to on the bbc.

Rubbish on so many levels. Your interpretation bears no relationship to the reality of the situation.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Hmm, can't see a crisis so far.

SNT holding up well with 6.9m (inc +1).

I don't see a crisis at all. Last October 9pm dramas (during the week) were only getting 3m, now they are getting 6m, consolidating to 8-9m. New entertainment series are doing much better, Splash! is an example - it held onto a stable audience despite being rubbished on here.

But, I'm sure he'll pick out the rugby and turn it into a bad concept again (the rugby peaked with 9.5m).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yesterdays daily shares: BBC1 26.7%, Itv 12.5%

As predicted, bbc1 completely thrashed Itv in the overall ratings for yesterday, more than double Itv audience.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    2012 was a very special year for the bbc so an unfair comparison and broadcasters know this. Also charity specials tend to rate well and other channels know this weaker programmes scheduled aginst this because they knw the ycant win. in terms of the queen attempt to cash in on jubileee up against remake of hitchcock interesting rating watching ahead no doubt even if samuel goes in with ridiculously severely skewed take on the bbc being the best thing since sliced bread

i dont see why 2012 was special. apart from the olympics. those who wished to watch it on sky were free to do so.

basically what we are seeing is the vast superiority of public service broadcasting over all commerical alternatives. despite sky's false claims about "investing" their profits in tv programmes ......
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the olympics. those who wished to watch it on sky were free to do so.

Excuse me? :confused:.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    I think ITV are happy to continue to make good profits and make original drama etc which they can sell round the world http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/27/itv-profits-rise
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Yesterdays daily shares: BBC1 26.7%, Itv 12.5%

As predicted, bbc1 completely thrashed Itv in the overall ratings for yesterday, more than double Itv audience.

They had the rugby. ITV didn't. Presumably ITV beat them for most of primetime.