chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James Whale for 5Live? We can hope!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    Richard Bacon was covering the Queen's visit to hospital and interviewing Nick Witchell. He asked what were the symptoms of gastroeneritis were. Nick said he didn't want to go into details as we all know what they were , but Bacon persisted " No we don't, what are they "

Thankfully Witchell didn't go into details. We are talkng about the Queen , can we have some respect

That made me chuckle. Bacon was making a point about the absurditiy of it all. I think.

If you're going to have a senior correspondant standing outside a hospital waiting for an old women who has got the runs then why not ask for details? That's what he's there for, isn't it?

Of course, Witchell chose to 'rise above it'. Fair play.

Bacon has actually got a lot better. I was shocked when he first took over from Mayo. He was completely out of depth. Mayo sounded so much more professional and knowledgable.

Can't understand why they don't do a proper TV review show like Kermode's film review. Get Boyd in for 2 hours. Get a couple of guests (actors, writers, other reviewers etc) and really make something of it. It always ends up being shunted around on the Tuesday and they end up with about 12 minutes to review things.

Also, apparently he has a son called Arthur but you wouldn't know it.................. :eek:.............:yawn:
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    James Whale for 5Live? We can hope!

Not a chance! Even if they did give him a show he would have to travel or move to Salford and I can't see him wanting to do that.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Not a chance! Even if they did give him a show he would have to travel or move to Salford and I can't see him wanting to do that.

Oh drat! I forgot about Salford.:(

Edit: He could still broadcast from say a BBC London radio studio couldn't he? Paul Miller's show goes out to the south and South East including Kent from the Solent studios.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundhog wrote: »

Also, apparently he has a son called Arthur but you wouldn't know it.................. :eek:.............:yawn:

Richard does talk about him quite a bit, especially on the podcasts, but he is a very cute looking kid (from the twitter photos I've seen) so I'll forgive him that. I was quite surprised when he said that Arthur was an IVF baby during his interview with Robert Winston last week. Only because I hadn't seen mention of it before, as in he hasn't to my knowledge ever appeared in of those 'My IVF Hell' celebrity sob story type tabloid/gossip magazine stories. He could have got good money for that.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who knows of a couple who are undertaking IVF treatment, I find the description of people going through this process as a sob story highly offensive.

Clearly you have no idea of what is involved or you wouldn't make such a comment. Those who can't naturally conceive are not feckless individuals.

No doubt you are a critic of 5 live's so called dumbing down. The fact that you use language of that nature suggests words like houses, glasses, stones and throwing.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Correct. No one is allowed to broadcast from London rather than travel or move to Salford.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    To be fair, I think the poster was actually congratulating Richard Bacon for NOT selling his family's IVF treatment story to the papers, which he could have chosen to do.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Can't understand why they don't do a proper TV review show like Kermode's film review. Get Boyd in for 2 hours. Get a couple of guests (actors, writers, other reviewers etc) and really make something of it. It always ends up being shunted around on the Tuesday and they end up with about 12 minutes to review things.

Two hours of Boyd Hilton? :eek: Most of his reviews start with “I’m a massive fan…” , a TV ‘critic’ who is rarely critical.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember the late great Mike Dickin he used to broadcast live from a studio he had built from the bottom of his garden near Bodmin cornwall on talkSPORT, so it can be done.!

Also the BBC still have news studios in London ion case they cannot get guests to travel to salford i think newsnight broadcasts from London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct. No one is allowed to broadcast from London rather than travel or move to Salford.

They have news studios in London.!
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the late great Mike Dickin he used to broadcast live from a studio he had built from the bottom of his garden near Bodmin cornwall on talkSPORT, so it can be done.!

Also the BBC still have news studios in London ion case they cannot get guests to travel to salford i think newsnight broadcasts from London.

Correct but this is the BBC, they've spent millions on salford and unless Whale does a once a week show or had some other major issue then he would have to do it from Salford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct but this is the BBC, they've spent millions on salford and unless Whale does a once a week show or had some other major issue then he would have to do it from Salford.

All i am saying if they wanted him there are ways to get him on that did not involve salford they have found ways with say the news shows.

But James has broadcast from Leeds years ago so he used to live up north then,also his son runs a restaurant in Harrogate i think so JW is well used to the northern life,perhaps though at this stage of his career he might not fancy it though..
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Weekend show might be more likely.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rod Sharpe broadcasts all the way from Massachusetts . Of course it can be done - the question surely is will the powers that be allow it to be done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    As someone who knows of a couple who are undertaking IVF treatment, I find the description of people going through this process as a sob story highly offensive.

Clearly you have no idea of what is involved or you wouldn't make such a comment. Those who can't naturally conceive are not feckless individuals.

No doubt you are a critic of 5 live's so called dumbing down. The fact that you use language of that nature suggests words like houses, glasses, stones and throwing.

Completely incorrect on all counts. I hold only positive views on IVF. I don't have a view on 5live as a station as Bacon's show is the only one I listen to. This also means I can't tell whether it has or has not been dumbed down, but I don't find RB's show too 'dumb' for my tastes.
    To be fair, I think the poster was actually congratulating Richard Bacon for NOT selling his family's IVF treatment story to the papers, which he could have chosen to do.

Thank you for correctly understanding the point I was making.
  • Options
    Ross RevengeRoss Revenge Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Classic tumbleweed moment this afternoon when Richards Bacon started asking Jeffrey Archer about his time in prison!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Classic tumbleweed moment this afternoon when Richards Bacon started asking Jeffrey Archer about his time in prison!

Why? What was the purpose of Archer's appearance?
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? What was the purpose of Archer's appearance?

Let me guess

..He's written a new book? :eek:
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come i can listen to united game live via 5live on sky box, but i cant via interent using computer.
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I don't find RB's show too 'dumb' for my tastes.

Now that's what I call a confession. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Two hours of Boyd Hilton? :eek: Most of his reviews start with “I’m a massive fan…” , a TV ‘critic’ who is rarely critical.

:D

Yeah I don't think I thought that one through very well! He basically thinks almost everything is great. Apart from the stuff that doesn't do well (ratings wise) and then he says he's never watched it/only seen it once... :rolleyes:... "It's ok, I don't think it's as bad as people are saying. But I don't watch it..."

I like the Boyd and Floyd film stuff. I just think they could do more with TV reviews.

Bacon admits himself that he doesn't actually watch much TV. Only the stuff he 'has' to. Just today he was saying how he felt he'd 'done' The Killing by watching 3 episodes. :rolleyes:

So scratch the TV Review Show. Terrible idea!

Poor Bacon. He's so naive. He reminds me of Springer Spaniel puppy. He let Archer dictate the interview (what a surprise). I don't know how those poor Eton boys manage overcome such huge obstacles to become Prime Minster, Archbishop of Canterbury, Mayor of London......... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that's what I call a confession. :eek:

Says someone with the username cosmic buttplug.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't think I thought that one through very well! He basically thinks almost everything is great. Apart from the stuff that doesn't do well (ratings wise) and then he says he's never watched it/only seen it once... :rolleyes:... "It's ok, I don't think it's as bad as people are saying. But I don't watch it...

I don't always agree with him, and he could definitely do with being a bit more critical sometimes, but the above is actually the main reason I like Boyd on the tv review slot. He clearly really enjoys watching television, in contrast to the many tv critics who appear to actively hate their job and rarely give any programme a good review. AA Gill is a case in point there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let me guess

..He's written a new book? :eek:

Correct. But who cares? So a question on his prison sentence is a perfectly legitimate line of questioning.
This discussion has been closed.