Options

Ever Decreasing Circles on BBC4

radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just noticed this is starting tonight. Are BBC4 going to be bringing back any more classic sitcoms?

Comments

• Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Love this show - one of those programmes which elevates the genre.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worn quite well, most enjoyable.

I suppose in today's world Martin would be on some half-arsed
    Behavioural Spectrum, mildly Austistic with a dash of OCD probably, instead of being a tedious git with no personality or sense of humour.

What the hell did Ann see in him ?
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it the first time round, I love it !!
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worn quite well, most enjoyable.

I suppose in today's world Martin would be on some half-arsed
    Behavioural Spectrum, mildly Austistic with a dash of OCD probably, instead of being a tedious git with no personality or sense of humour.

What the hell did Ann see in him ?

I got the impression that Ann was in some sort of trouble when she met Martin. He was there for her when she needed someone.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Great to see they are repeating this comedy gold - each episode a priceless gem!
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superb - a little old-fashioned, but wonderful gentle humour and some great characters. Richard Briers is (as usual) excellent, but for me it's Peter Egan who steals every scene he's in. He has that air of a man who knows something you don't and who can see what a bunch of oddballs he's moved into.
    We loved this when it was first on and we'd never miss it. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this, great to see it again :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have this on DVD box set but it is good to see it back on TV.

There seems to be a revival of old TV shows at the moment.

Just Good Friends and Fresh Fields to name 2 more.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Just Good Friends, another gem that, still makes me laugh :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never get fed up watching this show. I have every episode on DVD, but will still watch them again on BBC4,
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im in the minority but I found my fond memories of it were dashed watching that first episode. I simply wanted to punch Martin and found him simply so annoying it was unwatchable. Not the funny oddball I remembered. Also, the canned laughter was awful.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Superb - a little old-fashioned, but wonderful gentle humour and some great characters. Richard Briers is (as usual) excellent, but for me it's Peter Egan who steals every scene he's in. He has that air of a man who knows something you don't and who can see what a bunch of oddballs he's moved into.
    We loved this when it was first on and we'd never miss it. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago!

Love it too and you're right about Peter Egan, he plays it perfectly. I also love the chemistry between him and Ann which is always just under the surface but bubbles up occasionally.

Paul, although he gets frustrated at times, always seems to have great affection for Martin, Howard and Hilda, which I find endearing.

Apparently Peter Egan stayed very close to Richard Briers and read the eulogy at his funeral.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I find Richard Briers' character just too irritating. So I've never enjoyed EDC. Though I can see why you might enjoy watching how the other characters play off against his. I suppose in a way it's a compliment to Richard Briars' acting. That he could play characters that I liked, like Tom good in TGL, and his character in EDC, which I couldn't watch.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    I find Richard Briers' character just too irritating. So I've never enjoyed EDC. Though I can see why you might enjoy watching how the other characters play off against his. I suppose in a way it's a compliment to Richard Briars' acting. That he could play characters that I liked, like Tom good in TGL, and his character in EDC, which I couldn't watch.

I can see why people would not like Martin, However Tom was also very irritating at times. Richard Briers himself said that he enjoyed playing Martin more as he disliked the attitude of the Tom Good character.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Ever Decreasing Circles love it how Peter Egan as Paul was always trying hard to keep a straight face around Martin but failing as he had this constant smirk on his face. Thank god they never had Anne fall for Paul although there was chemistry between the two it was good nothing happened, always hinted but never pursued. Loved Howard and Hilda and there matching jumpers/cardigans.:D
    Have it all on DVD such a classic show.:)
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    Love it too and you're right about Peter Egan, he plays it perfectly. I also love the chemistry between him and Ann which is always just under the surface but bubbles up occasionally.

Paul, although he gets frustrated at times, always seems to have great affection for Martin, Howard and Hilda, which I find endearing.

Apparently Peter Egan stayed very close to Richard Briers and read the eulogy at his funeral.

Quite right. It would have set entirely the wrong tone if Paul had used his insight in a bad way or been cruel to his neighbours. And as Tangledweb says, the attraction between Anne and Paul was never allowed to get into anything serious, which was just right.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of my favourite ever sitcoms. I have all the episodes on DVD but will still watch them all again on BBC4. I never fail to laugh.

Like a few people on here, Peter Egan makes it for me. (A bit like Marge did on The Good life.) He plays his part to perfection, plus he was quite a dish. ;-)

Just a lovely programme, and quite underrated in my view.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Love this programme! I never watched it the first time around due to my then work taking me travelling/shifts.

I adore all the cast - and fancy Peter Egan like mad!:blush:

Every episode is a gem but my favourite is ' housework' when Ann goes into hospital & Martin 'spring cleans'!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope it'll be on iPlayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope it'll be on iPlayer.

If you go to BBC 4 - sky on demand - there's a few episodes there if you type the title in to the blue button/search.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Delete - double post, sorry folks.:blush:
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I can see why people would not like Martin, However Tom was also very irritating at times. Richard Briers himself said that he enjoyed playing Martin more as he disliked the attitude of the Tom Good character.
    Yes, you're right. Richard Briars did say that. I suppose I liked Tom's optimism. Anyway, for men of a certain age Felicity Kendal's Barbara was ample compensation for any irritation provided by Tom. :)
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is on slippery ground criticising Briers and maybe the role dictates it, but I thought he just over-plays the hysteria slightly, whereas Wilton and Egan are delightfully understated.

It pains me to say but I commiserate with Martin with the phone coil thing, CAN'T YOU PUT THE BLOODY HANDSET BACK WITHOUT TWISTING THE BLOODY CORD INTO A BLOODY UNTIDY MESS ?

Sorry.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Yes, you're right. Richard Briars did say that. I suppose I liked Tom's optimism. Anyway, for men of a certain age Felicity Kendal's Barbara was ample compensation for any irritation provided by Tom. :)

I think Richard's dislike of the Tom character was down to him never considering what Barbara really wanted - the whole self sufficiency project was his baby and it was always much more fun for him than her.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed this is starting tonight. Are BBC4 going to be bringing back any more classic sitcoms?

Given the swingeing cuts, I wouldn`t be at all surprised.

It`s frankly pathetic that this is on BBC4.