Interesting altercation today

Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
Forum Member
✭✭
I was in Manchester today with my son, who was wearing a baseball cap and is 10. We walked into a shop and within seconds, my son was being shouted at by the shop owner. He had to take his cap off, so cctv can recognise him, shop rule. At first I thought, sure, that's fair enough, ok he's only 10 but one rule for everyone is fine with me.

I then looked around and saw that the shop was full of people in full hijabs. I pointed this out but apparently it makes no difference. The shop owner was muslim too!

Anyway, not an anti muslim thread, it just seems a bit strange when you have a no hat or scarf rule in order to identify potential offenders/shoplifters but full hijabs are ok.

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hijabs don't hide, or obscure, the face though. There's a simple solution though, just buy your Son one those baseball caps with the beak at the back, all the cool kids have them these days.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way I don't see any need for the shouting. I hope you walked straight back out again.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I believe this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I would have dressed him up in a burka, complete with baseball cap, and then gone back inside the shop.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I have a better solution. Name and shame the shop and *never* go there again!

Outrageous behaviour from the shop owner and quite hypocritical
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »

Me too, a muslim living in manchester ?
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They obviously don't want your business. Don't go there again. ...
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Me too, a muslim living in manchester ?

:blush::D:D:D:D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Hijabs don't hide, or obscure, the face though. There's a simple solution though, just buy your Son one those baseball caps with the beak at the back, all the cool kids have them these days.

My bad, I meant burka, the garment that covers the face. That's why I thought it was a bit odd that he was shouting about cctv identifying shoplifters.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP has sufficient track record that I incline towards belief.
    Mind you I did assume the scenario to be shouted at by a vehicle driver when the OP was on a bike!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why's that then?
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I was in Manchester today with my son, who was wearing a baseball cap and is 10. We walked into a shop and within seconds, my son was being shouted at by the shop owner. He had to take his cap off, so cctv can recognise him, shop rule. At first I thought, sure, that's fair enough, ok he's only 10 but one rule for everyone is fine with me.

I then looked around and saw that the shop was full of people in full hijabs. I pointed this out but apparently it makes no difference. The shop owner was muslim too!

Anyway, not an anti muslim thread, it just seems a bit strange when you have a no hat or scarf rule in order to identify potential offenders/shoplifters but full hijabs are ok.

I have seen signs in shop windows saying no to baseball caps motorcycle helmets and such ,but never know burkas,you cannot have one rule for one group and another for rule for others.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    I have seen signs in shop windows saying no to baseball caps motorcycle helmets and such ,but never know burkas,you cannot have one rule for one group and another for rule for others.

You can in wacky Britain, where religious minorities have more rights than everybody else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    You can in wacky Britain, where religious minorities have more rights than everybody else.

If I owned a shop I would have a sign saying no head or face coverings and that would apply to everyone including muslims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    If I owned a shop I would have a sign saying no head or face coverings and that would apply to everyone including muslims.

It would be an interesting experiment. In trying to prevent crime its likely that you yourself would be accused of a hate crime.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    One is religious dress the other is a rather naff fashion statement. Hardly a comparison................. OTOH sometimes I forget I'm on DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    One is religious dress the other is a rather naff fashion statement. Hardly a comparison................. OTOH sometimes I forget I'm on DS.

Absolutely I don't dispute that although my lad is only 10 so his fashion sense can be excused. It was his reasons for him having to remove it that I found rather disingenuous considering that there were so many people wearing burkas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    It would be an interesting experiment. In trying to prevent crime its likely that you yourself would be accused of a hate crime.

then on the other hand is not the decision of the shop keeper who in whom they let in the premises.
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    If he was being shouted at by the owner,instead of being asked politely, I would have left immediately.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a big difference between someone wearing a baseball cap (which is being worn purely as a fashion statement rather than for religious reasons) and someone wearing any type of religious headwear. It's incredibly easy for someone to remove a cap, whereas it's forbidden for someone wearing a hijab/burka to remove it in public. That's their religion, and it should be respected.

This just seems like yet another ''slag off Muslims'' thread, to be perfectly honest. Especially considering you felt the need to mention the fact that the shop owner was ''a Muslim too!'' Shock horror.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    There's a big difference between someone wearing a baseball cap (which is being worn purely as a fashion statement rather than for religious reasons) and someone wearing any type of religious headwear. It's incredibly easy for someone to remove a cap, whereas it's forbidden for someone wearing a hijab/burka to remove it in public. That's their religion, and it should be respected.

This just seems like yet another ''slag off Muslims'' thread, to be perfectly honest.

Erm, no, this thread is about the reasons given to me by the shop keeper why my 10 year old had to remove his cap. I have no problem with adhering to such a rule, every shop owner has the right to prevent crime. But I was specifically told that baseball caps were not allowed because the cctv cant identify the wearer. I found the reasons disingenuous and it seemed to me that he was being more 'big fish in his little pond' than trying to prevent crime. I simply pointed out how many people in full burkas were in the shop and that surely his cctv couldn't see through them.

My son wasn't wearing a baseball cap as a fashion statement btw, he is on a course of eyedrops for a condition and bright sun hurts his eyes at the moment.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    It is quite silly asking a child of 10 who is with his father to take his cap off, not as if it is a crowd of 5 hood clad 'yoofs'. One of our local shops has a rule, that only 4 schoolkids can enter at one time, not because he fears theft, just the shop is so small really and they can take an age deciding on the toothrotting purchases. I can get my bits and bobs still wearing my bad hair day hat with cap brim..

The shopkeep is a moderate muslim, but that's not the issue really, just that I suppose I am mentioning it as comparison to the Manchester shop.

No it is a bit dicey really as the shopkeeper in the Manchester shop can be accused of negative stereotyping of people who wear baseball caps I suppose, then one day find his stock had been snaffled by people in other types of headwear..

Meh I will get my coat..:D

10 year old boy with his dad, hat off..it's just so silly really, and yeah his shop, he can set the 'rules' and lose custom if he wishes..I hope you just went somewhere else, I would be a bit gobsmacked myself!

:)
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

This just seems like yet another ''slag off Muslims'' thread, to be perfectly honest.

Maybe you can show me the bit in the Koran where it says that women have to wear full face veils ?

While you're at it maybe you can point out where in this thread someone has "slagged of muslims" ?

I bet you can't do either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It MUST be the same set of rules for all,so what if they are religious why should they get away with rules or in some cases laws>:(,as are we not all equal in the eyes of the law.
    And should religious people not also respected the rules.