PSN Store - TV Episodes, who would buy them?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Going through the PS Store I found it both depressing and amazing at the same time when I came upon on the TV store.
US TV series and TV shows from the likes of the BBC where they expect you to pay £1.69 or £1.89 for a single episode, in some cases of US TV series where there were 23 episodes or more in a single season!
One example was The Big Bang Theory, if you go to Amazon currently the Season 1-5 set can be had for £24.
If you had the kind of money to spend the amount that Sony want for a single episode why would you not bypass that and go straight for the DVD boxsets, even in HD which they charge £2.59 for , you can get the Blu-Ray sets way cheaper.

To me the prices that they want to charge for single episodes, with no deals for full seasons in sight shows a kind of contempt for customers, but who are the customers? You'd have to be kind of stupid to not realise the savings you could make by getting full season sets on DVD or even Blu-Ray in most cases, and the other options such as torrenting or even Netflix, wouldn't you feel you had somehow polluted your soul by buying a DRM crippled video file for £1.89 or (£2.59 for HD) that provided entertainment for possibly less than half an hour of your life. I don't get the psychology here, if you're into a TV show one episode is not enough so if you want to buy it to own, season sets make much more sense, yet the PSN TV Store doesn't offer any whole season deals, I can understand their capitalist greed but I don't get why anyone would ever pay for anything in the TV store.

The movie prices were also amazingly high, also a quick trip to Amazon or Ebay could get you a big saving.

One thread reaction to the unfriendly, crazy pricing that also makes no distinction between older and newer series - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-24-uk-playstation-store-selling-us-tv-shows