Options

Integrated Digital Tuner or Set top box

Reluctantly the time is getting very close to having to replace my long suffering Rediffusion MK4 tv.

Never have liked the grey plastic excuse they pass off as a cabinet on the "newer" sets. Nor have I seen that gives as nice a picture. Not sure whether that’s due to the display device or the amount of video processing they seem to do now.

But I digress.

Have been watching the Slim Line Samsung thread and notice that it would seem that it does not come with a digital tuner. In fact many of the new TVs don't have an integrated digital tuner. Since we will all have to switch over to digital by 2010 I cannot understand why any manufacture would produce a TV for the UK market without one.

This leads me, at last, to the question.
Are integrated digital tuners in some way inferior to the separate set top freeview box, and why does having an integrated digital tuner seem to add £100 to the cost of the set whilst you can get a separate box for around £30 ??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't touch a Samsung slim-fit with a bargepole, nothing but trouble....

Also, in my opinion, a set top box is a much better bet than an integrated digital tv, at least with a set top box, you can upgrade it at any time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Telly_Man wrote:

Also, in my opinion, a set top box is a much better bet than an integrated digital tv, at least with a set top box, you can upgrade it at any time.

Get real man! In only two years time analogue transmissions are going to be switched off in some areas. What is the point in buying a product that is not going to work unless you buy an extra piece of equipment, another remote control and more leads to connecting them both.

If technology advances greatly there is nothing stopping anyone with an IDTV buying a set top box some time in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, when you consider that most of the IDTV's don't even work right, then i know which option i'd certainly have.

I sell TV's for a living, and not once have i seen an IDTV that works reliably, the Philips ones the digital text barely works, the Samsung ones lock up frequently, and there's alsorts of other problems with the other manufacturers.

Also, after say 12 months of the product being out, support for OAD's is likely to be dropped, meaning any new technology isn't likely to be supported....
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Telly_Man wrote:
    Well, when you consider that most of the IDTV's don't even work right, then i know which option i'd certainly have.

I sell TV's for a living, and not once have i seen an IDTV that works reliably, the Philips ones the digital text barely works, the Samsung ones lock up frequently, and there's alsorts of other problems with the other manufacturers.

Also, after say 12 months of the product being out, support for OAD's is likely to be dropped, meaning any new technology isn't likely to be supported....
    having respect for your opinion in other posts I have to disagree that Samsung IDTV's lock up frequently. I have had mine for 12 months now without any kind of problem let alone locking up. I also have a PVR connected which works well with the Samsung.
    I have to agree with your thoughts on the Sammy slimfit. I had the 308 when it first arrived. The problems with it made me ditch it after two months of trying to sort it out. Apparently the new one is deeper so they may have sorted some of the problems. I await reports... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Telly_Man wrote:

I sell TV's for a living, and not once have i seen an IDTV that works reliably, ....

Glad you haven’t tried to sell me a telly then. I have a Sony KD-32DX150U IDTV, which must be at least 2 years old and I have had no problems at all. I hope that when you sell an analogue television you inform your customers it will soon cease to become a TV and will become just a monitor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldnt go out my way to get a tv with digital intergrated but neither would I avoid it like the plague. I have Sky+ at the moment which is distributed round my property - none of my TVs actually have an arial plugged into them now.

The "problem" with intergrated digi is 1) you cant upgrade it without upgrading the whole TV (though as others have said you could always buy an external one after_ and 2) in my mind it is just paying for something else which you dont want and could go wrong - it is much cheaper to buy a new STB than it is a new TV if freeview happens to go wrong.
  • Options
    bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    My Daewoo IDTV is perfect. I wasn't looking for an IDTV but this was only £200.

The biggest problem I have is wires, remotes and plugs so when things come built in they are very welcome. The TV has the 8 day EPG, very fast Digital Text, option for Pay-DTT if anything decent ever comes along, 2 scart sockets plus composite and s-video inputs.

I agree with the other poster when he says that with a STB you can upgrade, but I don't think that there will be a need to for quiite a long time. They won't dare upgrade to Mpeg-4 transmissions for at least 10 years IMHO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    If you want to fecord anything you are going to need a STB anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JonMace wrote:
    If you want to record anything you are going to need a STB anyway

Well that’s a load of tosh. No one in their right mind would buy a recorder without built in freeview these days otherwise you would be limited to recording just one channel and the set top box would have to be left switched on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    smjxm09 wrote:
    Well that’s a load of tosh. No one in their right mind would buy a recorder without built in freeview these days otherwise you would be limited to recording just one channel and the set top box would have to be left switched on.

That precisly what I am saying you are going to buy a twin tuner recorder so unless you think you need 3 tuners just go for the best screen you can get and not worry about the tuners in it as you probally are not going to use them.

I can see a argument for TVs having no tuners built in at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otherwise known as Plasma screens rather than Plasma TVs - see the PWD8 by panasonic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonMace wrote:
    If you want to fecord anything you are going to need a STB anyway
    Not true, I'm afraid. Many IDTVs can send the signal to the output scart sockets even with the panel turned off, for thie very purpose of recording when the TV is off or when analog is being viewed and digital recorded.

Having said that, I am not a fan of TVs with integrated anythings (DVD, DVD etc). More complex boxes means more complex kit, one bit breaks and the whole is devalued.

Seperate DVD player, DVB box etc might mean more wires but probably better quality and certainly more flexibility/upgradability.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldtimer69 wrote:
    Reluctantly the time is getting very close to having to replace my long suffering Rediffusion MK4 tv.
    hold onto it a bit longer, until freeview boxes have become stable and no longer need over night upgrades. Then wait about six months for that to follow through into the integrated tvs, whereupon you can go out and buy a set. or wait a bit longer until theyre discounted.

Set top box- do you have scart on your rediffusion? If not make sure you get a box with a built in modulator to send the freeview signals through to the tv aerial socket. And make sure you get a box with 14:9 mode or you'll be cursing the black bars top and bottom.
    Do you use ceefax/teletext?
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    hold onto it a bit longer,
    If the set (and her in doors) will let me I will but the tellys getting a bit like me and is reluctant to start on cold days and the sound is getting so distorted that we are, at times, having to resort to subtiltles or playing it through the HIFI via the video recorder.
    Set top box- do you have scart on your rediffusion?
    Scart ... you must be joking the set dates back to the very late seventies. Don't think scart was "invented" in those days. And what is scart apart from an excuse to produce over priced cables to place a couple of coax connections in one cable :D
    Do you use ceefax/teletext?
    :)
    only for the basics i.e. news, tv guide and subtitles.

Problem is if I go down the set top box route then I will also need a larger coffee table just to hold all the remote controls hence the main reason for wanting it built into the TV. But from reading the replies thus far and some regarding HD reception I wonder whether its too early to be buying a new TV as I would like it to last as long as my last one and not have to replace it in a few years simply because of transmision changes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with a set top box you can play the sound through your hifi :)
    The extra remote can be a nuisance - although you might try a 'one for all' I did but found all the spare buttons confusing, and the changing of function of the buttons - I'd like one set of buttons for each piece of kit.

With freeview
    - programme guide is more difficult to get to hidden below sub menu options for radio/tv etc
    subtitles - are behind the words by a few seconds (- and no height options.)
    news - there are less pages - more difficult to get to , and theyve chosen a new character type which means that a typical teletext/ceefax page fits on 2 and a quarter freeview pages.

Great improvement - not :(