Have you planned your Xmas menu?

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Who said it is suppose to be posh? it was never posh when I was younger, as i said it was just a normal roast dinner but with Turkey instead if you like turkey.

The point of the Christmas dinner was to have the whole family there.

Just another day to be honest, I do not see the point in going mad, spending money for just one day. It is different if you got kids.

Some people like posh nosh on Xmas, you like plain food. So what as long as people enjoy it! :)

I don't have many chances to have my nearest and dearest around one table each year, so why not treat them to a delicious meal?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a philips Air Fryer, a bit expensive, but once you got the hang of it you can make some nice chips with just a spoonful of oil.

Not as nice a potatoes roasted in goose fat or chips fried in beef dripping :)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people like posh nosh on Xmas, you like plain food. So what as long as people enjoy it! :)

I don't have many chances to have my nearest and dearest around one table each year, so why not treat them to a delicious meal?

I can do posh, a 4 course meal, with all the trimmings, i done it long enough in the hotel trade, maybe that is why I gone against it, seen too many people who thinks they are better than other people.

I have also done multi course meals for friends in the past and with all the trimmings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

I never said it was, but swingaleg put that he don't have chips all year round because of high cholesterol and blood pressure. just gave him the option to have chips more often that is better for him.

Nice thick cut chips, stick some olive oil or what ever you use in a bowl, put the chips in bowl and turn over a few times to mix with oil, you can put some seasoning in the oil. then stick in the machine for about 20 mins if that.

I expect it is possible to stick some goose fat over the spud if you are doing roasters and stick them in the fryer.

Chips in dripping is nice, but proper dripping from the butchers, not the stuff they sell in packets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're cooking for 7.

Starters - Homemade broccoli and stilton soup
    Bought breaded camembert with homemade cranberry sauce

Main - Roast beef and roast turkey with pigs in blankets and two different types of stuffing: Pork, sage, onion and apple and pork, onion, chestnut and cranberry. All served with usual veg

Dessert - Shop bought as I can't make cake and don't think I'll have time. Usually yule log, cheesecake and vienetta for my dad.

It seems like a lot, but I love leftovers so it's not too bad
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can do posh, a 4 course meal, with all the trimmings, i done it long enough in the hotel trade, maybe that is why I gone against it, seen too many people who thinks they are better than other people.

I have also done multi course meals for friends in the past and with all the trimmings.

Ah ok that may explain it. If you have done something so many times, then I can understand why. For me I will only cook posh nosh once in a blue moon, as I couldn't afford to do it more often and Xmas is one of those times. I tend to cook pretty frugally year round, so it's nice to splash out at Xmas. Its nothing to do with thinking better I'm better than others and all to do with treating my loved ones, I'm sure most people here feel the same :)
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Have had the same Xmas dinner for over 20 years - ever since the kids rebelled against turkey!The starter (other than the avocadoes, I gather they used to use pears) and pudding has been more or less the same for over a hundred years - I kid you not, my husband's family go back a very long way, and things are more or less done the same now as they were yonks and yonks ago. The only difference is that I have now cut out things like soup and sorbets - far too tiresome.

Starter: individual dishes of white crabmeat sometimes with chilli flakes, sometimes not depending on mood, avocadoes mashed up with lemon juice, prawns, piled on lettuce and cucumber

Main: roast goose, potatoes, parsnips. Stuffing (which I now do separately) of sausagemeat, chestnuts, dried apricots, pears, apples, figs etc.(depends on what I have in my cupboard)
    Also, sausages, bacon, glazed ham. All done separately and before the goose.
    Carrots glazed with butter, peas, sprouts with whole chestnuts and onion

Pudding: usual Xmas pudding (not home-made - can't be bothered anymore) and brandy butter

Breakfast on the day is only going to be toast and coffee and supper will be all the left over sausages, bacon, stuffing etc, with salad and crackers and bread for sandwiches.

Boxing Day is traditionally a long walk day, so we come home to soup and more of the above. I always have home-made sausage-rolls if things need to be padded out.

The day after Boxing Day is completely back to normal!
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister in law is doing the cooking this year, but I am going to contribute a Beaujolais, fig and cranberry sauce.

Don't worry, it's not as posh as it sounds, noise747.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is 'posh' food these days? Cooking in the UK has improved dramatically in the last couple of decades. The range of fresh ingredients in the UK is as good as anywhere and food knowledge has grown exponentially; the days of the likes of spag bol (which was quite 'posh' in the early 70s)are thankfully long gone. People are more adventurous in trying new foods and attempting to cook new dishes.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    What is 'posh' food these days? .

There is an awful lot of inverted snobbery these days. Frankly, I don't care if someone has turkey or turkey twizzlers for Xmas - you should eat what you want and blow what anybody thinks.

One year when all my children went to their in-laws, my husband and I ate steak and chips - and not top quality steak either. We had a wonderful time!
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably something like mussels for me for starter, oysters for my husband and one of those massive beef joints with the bone in done real slow in the oven with loads of greens and perhaps bigs in blankets, with copious amounts of champagne throughout the day.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    There is an awful lot of inverted snobbery these days. Frankly, I don't care if someone has turkey or turkey twizzlers for Xmas - you should eat what you want and blow what anybody thinks.

One year when all my children went to their in-laws, my husband and I ate steak and chips - and not top quality steak either. We had a wonderful time!

I couldn't agree more.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have pate, smoked salmon and potted prawns around 2 and then dinner at 5. I roast a loin of pork, a piece of sirloin and a small turkey crown as only my H likes it. Goose fat roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots,parsnips, and for my daughter - mushy peas. There'll be stuffing and bacon wrapped sausages - I refuse to call them pigs in blankets- gravy and sauces.

I will bake a huge ham the day before, so there'll be loads of meat left for the next few days. Desserts, cheese and biscuits and copious amounts of alcohol will be consumed throughout the evening.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're cooking for 7.

Starters - Homemade broccoli and stilton soup
    Bought breaded camembert with homemade cranberry sauce

Main - Roast beef and roast turkey with pigs in blankets and two different types of stuffing: Pork, sage, onion and apple and pork, onion, chestnut and cranberry. All served with usual veg

Dessert - Shop bought as I can't make cake and don't think I'll have time. Usually yule log, cheesecake and vienetta for my dad.

It seems like a lot, but I love leftovers so it's not too bad

Sounds lovely, simple but very tasty.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starters - Mushroom soup

Main Course - Turkey roast

Dessert - Christmas pud

Hope everyone enjoys their meal and has a a good time whatever they have. :)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're off to Vegas for Christmas, so Christmas dinner is at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant Cut! Can't wait.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have a starter.
    Main course will be roast chicken or pork, stuffing, roast potatoes ,brussels and other veg.
    Cauliflower cheese instead of meat for me.
    Pudding - probably ice cream.
  • monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    No starter at this end but considering doing some little mushroom based canapés if I can get quail eggs to top them with.

For main - squash 'jalousie' for the veggies (which is most of us) and chicken and pigs in blankets for the meat eaters, with roast potatoes, roast parsnips with (fake/veggie) Parmesan coating, honey glazed carrots, broccoli, sprouts and stuffing (an absolute must).

Christmas pud for afters - homemade. Also have mince pies, Christmas cake and Mum's retro chocolate 'Chrisrmas pudding cake'
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    We're off to Vegas for Christmas, so Christmas dinner is at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant Cut! Can't wait.

Woohoo - Vegas! Have a great time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »

I agree. You can do wonders with steak even the cheaper cuts.
  • squirtlesquirtle Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Quorn roast, roast potatoes, stuffing, yorkshires, peas and carrot, sprouts
    Christmas pudding and cream

Nowhere near as posh as everyone else's it seems

That sounds lovely. I like the Quorn roast, but find it can sometimes be a bit dry (maybe it's just the way I cook it :blush:) I would be tempted to have a jar of cranberry sauce on hand just in case.

Our menu hasn't been finalised yet. My sister is experimenting with a fennel recipe this week and if it works, we could be having that :D
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the other half and 4 friends coming. The other half is unbelievably fussy, and one of the friends is a veggie so there's tons of stuff I can't do, and never can. Would love to do a mixed smoked fish and seafood to start, but I'd have to do something else for those two (grrr!). So, seeing as I have to cater for all, I think I will do...

Starter: Smoked salmon souffles (probably prepare on Xmas Eve and re-bake) with parmesan crisps, a little rocket salad and a drizzle of a light dill sauce. Hopefully persuade veggie to eat (he will sometimes eat a little fish).

Main: Did goose last year, so boef en croute this time. Need to order a mature fillet from our independent butchers, wrap in pate softened with brandy, rehydrated porchini, parma ham then the tricky process of wrapping in puff pastry cut into a lattice, egg wash. Red wine and port sauce. Quite rich, so will do mash and boiled new potatoes, but a few roast parsnips as you gotta have some roasties on the table, haven't you?! Brussels, fine green beans wrapped in leek, baby carrots with Chardonnay en papilotte. Veggie usually brings his own food from home, but this year I shall make an effort and do an aubergine parmigiana (which I like too!).

One friend is bringing 4 bottles of Barollo, which should accompany very well!

I have no sweet tooth, so can't find the effort to make a pud. It's a Heston one with the hidden orange, which will microwave and of which barely 25% will be eaten, I guarantee!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member

Probably not advisable to do that if you have cholesterol problems, though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had a starter on xmas day, it's not something I've ever fancied.

I'll be doing Turkey, pigs in blankets, carrots, swede, parsnips, sprouts, mash, roasters with gravy, cranberry sauce and my homemade chestnut stuffing...
    Pudding is Aldi's finest xmas pudding with Brandy sauce or something chocolaty for the fussy family members.

It wouldn't feel like xmas without the traditional stuff on the big day.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finalised mine. I will be cooking for 8 this year. The puddings are bought, but the rest is made from scratch. What are you guys having? This is my menu...

Entree

Pan seared scallops with prime black pudding, a sweetcorn and shallot purée, lemon butter, Serrano ham and a poached quails egg.

Starter

Braised quail in a white truffle and porcini mushroom sauce, with morel mushrooms and black truffle shavings

Main

A slow roast herb, mint and garlic infused leg of lamb, roast and stuffed turkey breast wrapped in streaky bacon, goose fat roast potatoes, honey glazed parsnips, pork, sage and onion stuffing balls, pigs in blankets with a selection of vegetables.

Desert

Connoisseur Christmas pudding with brandy butter and cream
    Rich fruit marzipan stollen cake
    A selection of cheese and crackers

Very nice :)
    Are you a chef?