The difference being intelligent and being clever

Comments

• andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Lord Sugar left school with one GCSE and he frequently spells words wrongly on twitter. He is not intelligent but, with a personal fortune of £770 million he is very very clever! :)

Hardwork, taking risks and a bit of luck also come into it !
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Hardwork, taking risks and a bit of luck also come into it !

Yes for sure. But he's a good example for someone who didn't do so well in education.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    A friend I emailed kindly suggested I might have a high IQ. I know my general knowledge isn't great and I'm not very good at basic things like maths, so I tend to think I wouldn't necessarily do well in an IQ test, so she replied saying she believes there's different types of intelligence, which was an interesting thought.

I then saw a program recently called Satisfied Fool, where Karl Pilkington talks about intelligence and gets his intelligence tested - anyway the relevance being that at one point he's with Germaine Greer and she says that (something along the lines of) 'there's a difference between being intelligent and being clever'. Again, that really interested me, so I asked my friend what she thought. She reckoned people who can adapt well to tests and aren't easily distracted, who can apply themselves to certain things, their perhaps more clever? any other thoughts on this, how would you distinguish the difference between being clever and being intelligent?.

Being intelligent and being clever are closely related, but I think I know what you mean. Just because you have a high IQ doesn't guarantee you have high social skills, emotional empathy and will make a general success of your life.

There's a lot more to life than spatial awareness, which is what many IQ tests seem to almost entirely consist of.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Being intelligent and being clever are closely related, but I think I know what you mean. Just because you have a high IQ doesn't guarantee you have high social skills, emotional empathy and will make a general success of your life.

f.

That's what I was thinking of when I mentioned the genius level man. He has neither social skills nor emotional empathy. Bill Gates asked him to join him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Rather than 'intelligent' and 'clever', 'intelligent' and 'intellectual' might be a better distinction.

The best definition of general intelligence I have ever heard was Robert Runcie who said - "Intelligence is the ability to cope".
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often think about Tyler Durden's quote in Fight Club...

"That's very clever. How's that working out for you?"
    "What?"
    "Being clever."
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than 'intelligent' and 'clever', 'intelligent' and 'intellectual' might be a better distinction.

The best definition of general intelligence I have ever heard was Robert Runcie who said - "Intelligence is the ability to cope".

That is a very good distinction.

Where the heck have you been the past four years?!
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some types of intelligence that lend themselves to being measured by tests and exams and others that don't, like wisdom and common sense.

Then there's the type of intelligence possessed by those with huge amounts of practical ability who might not necessarily have any of the other kinds. I think of some of my poorer relatives from very rural communities who can literally make something out of almost nothing when I say that.

It's generally accepted or understood that when we're talking about someone who is incredibly clever, or intelligent or smart - we'll mostly be using their attainment of academic qualifications as some kind of benchmark.
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    That is a very good distinction.

Where the heck have you been the past four years?!

Trying to think of something intelligent and/or academic to say.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the issue with exams. People assume that good exam results = intelligence, when actually that's not the case at all.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought the difference was that intelligence is when you know stuff on paper but no good at practical stuff. Like being able to fly through an exam but ask him how to wire up a 2 pin plug and he's useless. To me clever and intelligent are degrees of the same thing. He's clever because he passed all his exams but he's intelligent because he can understand quantum psychics.

Skillful is when you know stuff in practice but not necessarily on paper like being able to make something out of raw materials or someone with a talent.

Common sense is when you know how to do things that matter in life like pay a bill or change a light bulb and being able to apply it in a logical manner. You can be intelligent but still have no common sense.

Street Wise is knowing a lot of things which are useful but not necessarily legal or moral. Like knowing how to fiddle your taxes or where to get knocked off DVDs and cheap **** from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I always thought the difference was that intelligence is when you know stuff on paper but no good at practical stuff. Like being able to fly through an exam but ask him how to wire up a 2 pin plug and he's useless. To me clever and intelligent are degrees of the same thing. He's clever because he passed all his exams but he's intelligent because he can understand quantum psychics.

Skillful is when you know stuff in practice but not necessarily on paper like being able to make something out of raw materials or someone with a talent.

Common sense is when you know how to do things that matter in life like pay a bill or change a light bulb and being able to apply it in a logical manner. You can be intelligent but still have no common sense.

Street Wise is knowing a lot of things which are useful but not necessarily legal or moral. Like knowing how to fiddle your taxes or where to get knocked off DVDs and cheap **** from.
    Absolute myth - my father was both.

So are most engineers.
    Forum Member

I don't agree with that definition.

Some intelligent people lose their way in life through circumstance.

Otherwise all homeless living on the streets would by definition be thick. I'm thinking here more about the older ones because I started to get to know one.

Sorry Izzy - don't want to go off topic.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »

So are most engineers.

In that case I'd probably describe him as being more skillfull or clever with his skills rather than use the word intelligent.

My interpretation is that intelligence describes academic ability rather than practical.

I guess you could be intelligent and skillful at the same time but I don't think you can use the two words to describe a mutual ability.
    Forum Member
    In that case I'd probably describe him as being more skillfull rather than use the word intelligent.

My interpretation is that intelligent people are more academic than practical.

I know I'm intelligent but in no way am I academic! I am impractical though. Totally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    In that case I'd probably describe him as being more skillfull or clever with his skills rather than use the word intelligent.

My interpretation is that intelligence describes academic ability rather than practical.

I guess you could be intelligent and skillful at the same time but I don't think you can use the two words to describe a mutual ability.

Surgeons work with their hands. Is a brain surgeon intelligent or clever?
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »

Otherwise all homeless living on the streets would by definition be thick. I'm thinking here more about the older ones because I started to get to know one.

Yes, I'd agree with you in a way, but I think he was talking about how people engage with normal everyday life rather than a specific set of awful circumstances that virtually no one would be able to surmount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know exactly what you mean but these days I guess we do have to also think of guys like Steve Wosniak ;)
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

There's a lot more to life than spatial awareness, which is what many IQ tests seem to almost entirely consist of.

Its more the other way around though - I reckon I probably wouldn't get an especially high (or good) result from an IQ test because I tend to over think and panic a bit in test situations, so I don't think any such result would necessarily reflect on my true intelligence, or cleverness/knowledge etc.
    owllover wrote: »

Don't worry about it :) im reading replies, I'm just not always sure what to say :blush:
    I think posting this thread has led to me feeling a bit more thick - hah lol typical. Ah well... I do think I can be quite perceptive, inquisitive and empathetic but where that lies in all of this, im not entirely sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »

So are most engineers.

So have I and left school with nothing. I was also an engineer.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'd agree with you in a way, but I think he was talking about how people engage with normal everyday life rather than a specific set of awful circumstances that virtually no one would be able to surmount.

Could we coax you out little bald cat?
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone can be intelligent in a academic sense and completely gormless in real life.
    Someone can be very shrewd with everyday life and not be good at retaining facts or figures or solving puzzles or whatever.
    Some people are lucky to be both. Don't know if its as simple as academic = intelligent, shrewd = clever.

A friend on my son's is a right boffin. He works in research and earns hundreds of thousands a year, he's briliant. but In real life he's totally laid back and can just about work the sky recorder.
    Forum Member
    This is a lovely thread Izzy. Look at how you made people think. Xx
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that there is a difference between 'intelligence' and being 'clever.' I would relate intelligence to be a characteristic that is a natural ability. You have an expertise and develop your interest in a certain area. Your focus is on researching and studying a particular field at length.

Being clever is related to a specific incident where someone has used sense, wisdom or experience to proficiently deal with a problem. I always think of being clever as demonstrating capabilities in an instant. For instance, a driving maneuver to avoid an accident and generally being sharp and aware of what is being asked of you.
    Forum Member
    mariets wrote: »
    A friend on my son's is a right boffin. He works in research and earns hundreds of thousands a year, he's briliant. but In real life he's totally laid back and can just about work the sky recorder.

That's fairly typical of people with extraordinary academic/intellectual ability.