Options

fizzy juice.....

megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
Forum Member
✭✭
i need to stay off this crap as it is causing me chest problems plus piles the weight on and stains my teeth!

i cannot stop drinking fizzy drinks. im obsessed with them. i want to stop. i have tried to go cold turkey and drink water but i cannot maintain this. why don't i have the motivation? :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I used to get through a litre bottle of diet coke a day, what I did was switch to a squash I liked, in my case, apple and blackcurrent. I couldn't drink water on it's own because the water tastes horrid where I live and I don't have the money for bottled or one of those filter things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i need to stay off this crap as it is causing me chest problems plus piles the weight on and stains my teeth!

i cannot stop drinking fizzy drinks. im obsessed with them. i want to stop. i have tried to go cold turkey and drink water but i cannot maintain this. why don't i have the motivation? :(

What fizzy drink to you have, cola?
    Can you not find anything else to drink, what about orange squash or some other squash? I stopped drinking fizzy drinks a while ago.

I buy the 5lt Tesco mineral water, it's only about £1 a bottle and lasts a long time, tastes much better than London tap water.
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find some kind of cordial you like the taste of and mix that with mineral or tap water.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the caffeine in them. Caffeine is known to be addictive and can cause withdrawal symptoms that can last for up to a week. The trick is to persevere during that week, knowing your health will improve as a result. It will be tough, but once you pass that hurdle, it should be easier. My sister was advised to give up fizzy drinks as it was irritating her bladder. She now drinks diluting juice. Maybe try that instead of pure water?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the caffeine in them. Caffeine is known to be addictive and can cause withdrawal symptoms that can last for up to a week. The trick is to persevere during that week, knowing your health will improve as a result. It will be tough, but once you pass that hurdle, it should be easier. My sister was advised to give up fizzy drinks as it was irritating her bladder. She now drinks diluting juice. Maybe try that instead of pure water?

Not all fizzy drinks have caffeine in them though? Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Listen to this . I know a woman who was seriously addicted to Coke and had a horrendous time giving up . You just gotta hang in there and hold on for those first two weeks . These fizzy drink companies have a lot to answer for , rotting teeth , damage to guts , caffeine addictions , obesity :(
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Remember cordial/squash has a lot of sugar in too. You need the sugar free version - although then you are having more chemicals.

Just go cold turkey and try water - I ruined my teeth with squash and fruit juice. I try to drink Evian as it tastes a bit like milk to me!
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I thought this thread was introducing a new product to us.
    I don't know of any fizzy juice on the market.
    Juice is derived from just fruit (and water if from concentrate).
    "Juice drinks" contain other ingredients which make the concentrate go further.
    Most of the fruit-flavoured fizzy drinks I have seen are carbonated water with chemical flavour and colour but little or no fruit-derived content.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Try mixing fruit juice with sparkling water? You'd still get the fizz and some flavour.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    Most of the fruit-flavoured fizzy drinks I have seen are carbonated water with chemical flavour and colour but little or no fruit-derived content.

Rubicon sparkling juice has fruit purée in it, I'm sure another company has just brought out cans if sparkling juice drink too.

Anyway OP I say go with dilute juice, ocean spray cranberry and raspberry is really nice, with a full flavour and less artificial tasting than robinsons etc. or high juice is good too. I would stay clear of sugar free, I'd rather have sugar than the artificial shite, but that's just my personal choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pepsi was my favourite fizzy drink but when I had heard they use cancer cells (I'm not sure but I don't want to risk it) anyway I haven't drunk pepsi since August. Quite a achieved seeing as I had one every two days or so.

Just don't buy fizzy water it is that easy
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Juice is the colloquial name for fizzy pop in Scotland. (Just like soda in the USA)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britivic 55 is close to being fizzy juice. Love that stuff.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    use your will power, the fizzy juice is full of sugar, rotting and staining your teeth, causing energy spikes in your blood, feeding bacteria and viruses, its processed junk. Nothing beats nature - water, after a week, you will not go back and be used to water
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    green855 wrote: »
    Pepsi was my favourite fizzy drink but when I had heard they use cancer cells (I'm not sure but I don't want to risk it) anyway I haven't drunk pepsi since August. Quite a achieved seeing as I had one every two days or so.

Just don't buy fizzy water it is that easy

I think they were watching foetal cell reactions under a microscope as part of their flavour research but don't worry, the drinks didn't actually contain aborted babies despite what the internet was saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't drink it, keep reminding yourself of the negatives...
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    Not all fizzy drinks have caffeine in them though? Or am I wrong?
    There are caffeine-free varieties, yes, but that doesn't sound like what the OP is drinking judging by the problems he is having with trying to give them up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juice is the colloquial name for fizzy pop in Scotland. (Just like soda in the USA)

Or ginger. :) My ex husband used to go mad when I called fizzy drinks juice. 'What are they the juice of?' he would yell.